Orange AD30

I used this amp w/ cab at a session yesterday (Mackinaw Harvest @ Grand Rapids). Wowzers, used a 70's Thinline straight in and WHOMP. Would love to have the extra cash to snag one!!

The Whiz

Single channel or Dual Channel? I must admit I have always had wood for the AD30. None of the Rocker series or Terror series really speaks to me.

fromdecay

Single channel or Dual Channel? I must admit I have always had wood for the AD30. None of the Rocker series or Terror series really speaks to me.
Same. Wish they made an ad15 head. I always hate when companies name their lower watt amps something diminutive (tiny terror, cub, etc.).

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
The ad30 has always been magical with single coils, especially teles. In fact, if I played my tele more I might have kept mine... in the end a wanted 18 watts or so, not 30. Killer tones.

Emiel

How's it with a Les Paul w/ PAFs?
If you're going for a thick dark overdrive sound... hard to beat. I've had an AD30TC 2x12 combo for a year or so but in the end I couldn't cope with the dark sound in combination with the PAF humbuckers in my Les Paul... but I have to say I was eventually looking for a nice bright clean sound and you won't get that with any Orange... anyway for those '70s rock sound it is fantastic but don't think about the cleans... with humbuckers I find them somewhat dull, flat and dark. With singlecoils it's great, it fattens them up in a very pleasant way. My Telecaster through the Orange was awesome... :)

The Whiz

If you're going for a thick dark overdrive sound... hard to beat. I've had an AD30TC 2x12 combo for a year or so but in the end I couldn't cope with the dark sound in combination with the PAF humbuckers in my Les Paul... but I have to say I was eventually looking for a nice bright clean sound and you won't get that with any Orange... anyway for those '70s rock sound it is fantastic but don't think about the cleans... with humbuckers I find them somewhat dull, flat and dark. With singlecoils it's great, it fattens them up in a very pleasant way. My Telecaster through the Orange was awesome... :)
Interesting. There's a clip on youtube with some british fella demoing the AD30HTC and 4x12 cab with a Les Paul and it sounds great to me.

I'll find a link and post it.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrGO4lTcZYI

Mark Ford is playing a strat in the second half. Sounds great there too.

Hey, do you suppose any of the issues you had with your AD30 were because it was an open back combo? I don't think I'd ever run that amp in anything besides a closed back cab. In fact, I prefer closed back cabs in general. I like the feel and how it tightens up the bottom end.

Emiel

To be honest... I don't know. I'm not even sure if an openback or closed back makes that much of a difference except for 'diverting' the sound... I mean I remember some mates of mine has this closed 2x12 cabinet which you could make it 'openback' or half half... and I didn't heard much of a difference when we changed it...

No I'll say it again, you see the Orange is a great sounding amp, but you have to like the cleans... they are so different compared to Hiwatt, Marshall, Vox etc... the AD30 has little headroom and the EQ knobs don't interact, they're more like volumecontrols for treble, mid and bass, put all to ten and it will make your amp louder and more distorted. With my Les Paul I just couldn't get a decent clean (for me that is) out of it. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who will love the clean sound. Anyway this amp is all about it's great thick creamy overdrive, you're not buying this for the cleans, though with my Tele it sounded great. It really makes your guitar sound fatter and bigger. But since I'm 90% using my Les Paul and eventually wanted more that Fenderish sound...

Oh by the way, I think the combo sounded way better when putted off the ground, on a beer crate or something!! The amp has a lot of low end so give it a try!!