Orange AD30HTC vs. Rocker 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coldfingaz, Jan 29, 2012.

1. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Man, I'm struggling with this decision. It's going to be one or the other.

I owned a Rocker 30 combo in the past & am well aware of what it can do. Really dug that amp, but didn't need the headroom at the time so I sold it off. It was also heavy as hell so I'm getting a head this time.

The AD30HTC seems to have a bit less gain on tap, but I love the tones & probably wouldn't ever need to really push the Rocker's gain anyway. Sort of leaning this way at the moment. Positives are the tube rectifier, but negatives are this is truly 2 separate channels so it takes quite a few more tubes (hence has more to maintain) than the Rocker.

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated. I've been going back & forth on this all weekend... figured I would've already pulled the trigger by now. :huh

2. Miles

Miles Member

I'm always a sucker for the gnarly raunch an R30 can put out.

The AD30s always sound a little rounder. The one thing I think I would like the AD30 more for is the ability to have one channel that is somewhat dirty and the 2nd channel more dirty. Sort of a rhythm and lead using your volume knob to get 'clean'. I just really don't like the sound of clean electric guitar and the R30s clean channel never breaks up.

3. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Ad30 all the way. Way more versatile, especially if you don't expect to need the extra gain.

4. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Well, I went back to a R30 & am not the least bit disappointed. Though this amp is all about the dirty channel, I also find the clean channel quite tasty & very useful... particularly with pedals. The amp sounds great run into a WGS Liberator too. It seems little to no break-in period is really required with this speaker.

It's been fun getting re-acquainted so far....

[​IMG]

I don't think I could really lose either way... the AD30 is a great amp (not so sure it's more versatile though). I just happened to find a Rocker at a great price sooner.