Orange AD30TC hiss help

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jocfan1, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

I'm trying to eliminate (or at least minimize) the background hiss my AD30 is generating. I've cleaned up the noise that was in my pedal chain, but going direct guitar->amp, there's still a hiss present, even when I roll my guitar volume back all the way. It's particularly noticeable on the second channel, where I have the gain dimed, but it's also there on the first channel, which is set up clean. I wouldn't mind it so much, since you can't hear it when I'm actually playing, but when I hit the amp with my fuzz or boost pedals, the hiss intensifies significantly.

My question is, is there a way I can remove the hiss altogether, or is it just something I have to live with as a side-effect of having an all-tube amp? If it matters at all, the hiss is only present when there's something in the input jack. Just turning the amp on with nothing plugged in, it's dead silent.

2. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

3. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Quote:"where I have the gain dimed".

The gain is the issue.Too much causes hiss.the only way to minimize it is go through a whole pile of preamp tubes till you find the quietest and live with it.

4. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks anyway.