orange amp in a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stereotypy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

what is a good choice in pedals to simulate the overdrive of an orange amp if you don't want to buy an orange amp? ;)

i found that the hbe big d looks at least in color similiar.. any experiences ?

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Goodness - what Orange OD tone you thinking? If classic Wishbone Ash-type warmth, something music/versatile like a Lovepedal Eternity might be a start. Orange OR80/120 amps are pretty special/unique.

3. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

4. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Word is it that the Catalinbread SCOD does the AD30 tones. I have a SCOD and love it. Never tried an AD30 though so I can't vouch for the words of others.

taco

5. Craise

Craise Member

I remember in the BJF tour box there was a BJF custom pedal called the "little orange wonder" Not sure if it's a tweeked "little green wonder" I'm thinking it is. But I do remember it being in that vein of Orange amp tones. A Good friend had let me borrow his AD30 head for a while and I remember it did have that type tone. But I didn't have them at the same time to compare. I'm not sure if you can even get one, as BJF is backed up with regular model orders. So, I'm not sure this will help! anyway... ;)

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

If you're looking for the AD30 overdrive, it's the EGDM. The AD 30 is similar to a vox AC30 really but with more warmth it's a little fatter than the AC30. They are both 4xEL84 amps. BJ designed the EGDM to get that Rory Gallagher Irish Tour Vox tonality.

Just turn the voicing down to a more healthy bass response. I run my EGDM with my AD15 and it's great, very very harmonic at volume. It's responsive when you dig in and when you roll off just like the amp.

7. Craise

Craise Member

1+ on the EGDM it's stright up VOX tones which is what the Orange sounds like. But having played a Orange AD30 and a Vox AC30 they are different. But the base tones are 90% the same. The Little Orange Wonder might even be a tweeked EGDM not sure...

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

OKKO Diablo:

Take a listen to the clips here:
    http://www.stompbox.de/sounds_e.shtml

Specifically, the clip that is titled "Diablo vs. Orange"

And the funny thing is that I find the Diablo sounds VERY similar to the EGDM I owned... except I like the EQ section of the Diablo better for my purposes (Tone, Feed, and Body vs. Voice). I even had to crank the internal presence trimmer down in the Diablo, just as I had to in the EGDM!

-Ben

9. arexjay

arexjay Member

I've got an SCOD for sale if any of you are interested...

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Another vote for the EGDM. I cannot live without it.

By the way, I believe I read that the Little Orange Wonder was a custom painted Little Green Wonder which is a unique take on the TS circut.

11. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I should have gone into more detail when I posted the OKKO link above...
    Their build quality is great, and Heiko uses multiple paint coats and a clear coat for your base color.

The writing is done in epoxy - I remember asking Heiko for silver lettering on a pedal I ordered and there just isn't any silver epoxy. Anyway, we all know how durable epoxy is... and in combination with the standard painting procedure for the box, they should be pretty hardy in the long run.

As for the more 'hand-painted' styles shown, I assume they would chip easier than the sprayed / clearcoated ones.

-Ben

13. Craise

Craise Member

Just a note...I'm almost positive that the LOW is not just a custom painted LGW but also different inside. Because in the BJF tour box they had both...and it's listed on donner's site as [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana] (cerebralpauls custom)
    [/FONT]

14. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

I just think they look cool. I would like to hand paint some of my pedals and was wondering what to use.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]