Orange Amp info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sparrow, Feb 18, 2006.

1. sparrow

sparrow Member

I'm thinking about getting an Orange Amp, likely the AD30HTC or Retro 50. Any advice? Also, how do I get to the Orange Custom Shop site?

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

My advice, save your money and get the AD30. IMO, they sound so incredibly close...and the AD30TC is so much cheaper. I've played them side by side through the same cabs, at volume. Not a big difference to me.

Of course, if you're more interested in drooling over incredibly gorgeous wiring or in bragging rights, you'll want the Retro 50. :) It is a great sounding amp and has stunning guts. Actually, I like the AD50 features a little bit more though.

Just my 2 cents.

3. brent

brent Member

I went with the RV50, and got the combo

If there was a master volume in the clean channel as well it would be pretty close to the ideal combo for me

I think it has the best master volume on a gain circuit I've ever experienced, and I've used a hotplate on EVERYTHING I've owned for the last dozen or so years - it stays home when I take the Orange

4. sparrow

sparrow Member

Thanks you guys. Good info. The plot thickens

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I own both an AD30TC combo and a Retro 50 head and 4x12 cab so I'll thicken the plot a bit more. I've run the combo through the 4x12 and the head thru the combo cab for comparisons too btw.

I find them to be quite difference in their OD character. Whilst the AD30TC isn't the jangliest EL84 amp in the world and can get a nice meaty OD tone, I still hear its 4 x EL84 character very clearly when overdriven. The Retro 50 (with 2 EL34) is a more chunky and warm amp to start with, the master is useable over a wider range (still needs to be above 01:30 to sound great IMHO) and even when you switch it to class A (which lowers overall volume only a tad) will still sound more stout than the AD30TC.

If you need clean headroom then avoid the Retro 50 as there is basically none with humbuckers and not much at all with SCoils, but if you like big warm dynamic OD sounds then it's a lovely amp. The AD30TC is flexible due to the 2 channels, will have a bit more clean headroom available on channel a (tho still not much) and is a mixture of the warmth and punch of Orange OD with a bit of EL84 sparkle as well.

Chris

6. sparrow

sparrow Member

Thanks, Chris. This too is good to know. I'll be using the head I end up getting with an Orange 4 X 12 cab.

7. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Check with Jon Hiller at Cowabunga music. I'm looking into the Rocker series and his price was close to what people are selling for used. He's good to do business with.

8. 46and2

46and2 Member

Also check out http://www.shanghai-guitars.com/. I got my Rockerverb 50 head and 2x12 cab from them for a great price. They included an amp cover and footswitch too.

I'm praying that it's my stock MIM strat single coils that sound like crap and not the RV 50. :( Right now, I am not happy with the dirty channel at all. I have some new pickups on the way.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

10. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

I have an ac30htc and an Orange 2x12 and LOVE it. I traded an 80's AC30, prior to which I had traynor and fender combos and marshall heads, for it and have never looked back. It has a constant, irrepresible vibe. I use my zvex super duper to take it over the edge OD wise and it whales, moreso since I replaced the average dragon (chinese) preamp and power tubes!! The amount of comments I get at gigs is a testament to this amp. The clean sounds are perfect for me - they ar'nt "glassy fender" cleans but warm and articulate. If you use the volume knob on your guitar you can dial in some amazing clean sounds - much nicer than any fender cleans I ever hear (IMO).

And another thing - it is loud. I a/b'ed it with a 100 watt marshall DSL and it was just as loud - with more clarity and punch at high volume. Pull the triger on this one and you wont regret it.

11. sparrow

sparrow Member

Thanks all! RV50? Yes, the plot continues to thicken. Nice clip Leonc.

12. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

my 2 cents: go with the RV50 head and cabinet. the open back combo is worthy but the closed back orange cabinet is more worthy. plus since the combo weighs alot there is not much advantage to it unless you have to have an open back cabinet.

13. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

Check out the rocker 30 head. I just got one and it is UNBELIEVABLE. Dirty channel is soooo thick and warm sounding.... It's a lot cheaper than the rest of their amps also. The master works wonderfully, sounds like it's cranked up, but at a decent level. The clean channel is really nice too. doesn't have really any usable controls, but it always seems to sound great. I've been using this in a cover band and it sounds great on everything from stones to modern rock. Also, if you crank up the master a bit, and turn the gain down... it does exactly what I need for my indie band.... raunchy, old british sound....

I also prefer the el34's. the rv50 (I believe) is loaded with 6V6's.... great sounding amp, but (in the store, at least) I liked the rocker 30 more. And the pricetag was nice. I also preferred it to the AD30 (which I was planning on buying).

Check one out... definitely worth the time.