Orange Amplification Owners Thread

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Lets face it. Orange amps dont get as much love as the “big four” (Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Vox) around here.

I thought a thread for Orange Owners could be fun - we can share our experiences with the various offerings, as well as be a great place for folks to come ask general questions about the line.

Orange amps have a unique growl to their OD, and glorious warm cleans. From classic rock to “doom” they are surprisingly versatile and stand out in a mix. They also take pedals well and I’d go so far as to say that an Orange amp with a good EQ pedal in the loop can do ANYTHING much more expensive amps can do, while still providing low end in the signal that other amps have trouble providing.

MATAMP discussion welcome too!

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
I have a large collection of boutique amps. Matchless, Two-Rock, Alessandro, Milkman, Fat Jimmy, Welagen, New Park, etc. The current band I’m in plays 90’s and 2000’s type music. I found an used Orange Rockerverb MkII does the best job for this band. The overdrive is like a good JCM800 with more warm/lows, very pleasing. The clean tone rivals the boutique amps. I got three Orange cabs, 2x12 with Cream Neos and 2 1x12 with Vintage 30’s; all three cabs sound fantastic and I never liked Vintage 30’s before. Lately I got a Rocker 15 Terror as a lightweight version of my Rockerverb for small rehearsals. So basically loving my Orange Amps, they sound great and don’t cost too much.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
I have a large collection of boutique amps. Matchless, Two-Rock, Alessandro, Milkman, Fat Jimmy, Welagen, New Park, etc. The current band I’m in plays 90’s and 2000’s type music. I found an used Orange Rockerverb MkII does the best job for this band. The overdrive is like a good JCM800 with more warm/lows, very pleasing. The clean tone rivals the boutique amps. I got three Orange cabs, 2x12 with Cream Neos and 2 1x12 with Vintage 30’s; all three cabs sound fantastic and I never liked Vintage 30’s before. Lately I got a Rocker 15 Terror as a lightweight version of my Rockerverb for small rehearsals. So basically loving my Orange Amps, they sound great and don’t cost too much.

Yeah that rocker 15 is so darn good!

Id like to upgrade my peavey 2x12 cab to an Orange in the coming year or two.

Really agree about the warm lows and great cleans!

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
[slips into Rodney Dangerfield voice] It's nice to see Orange get a little respect around here...

I've been murdering a Rockerverb 50MkIII for a couple years with a grunge/90s rock band, and have no intention changing that situation, unless a MKIV hits the market. It's got a real nice clean channel (hints of Vox) and a wide variety of dirt and gain. Add to that, a very-useable tank-reverb, effects-loop and the attenuator, and you've the makings of real nice amplifier. Although I use it for the grunge stuff, I've also gigged it for female-fronted classic-rock, and it handles both duties well.

I find Orange to be the kinder, gentler, Marshall. Maybe Orange is not for every application, but it's certainly worthy of it's own thread.

I'd like to try a TH30 eventually.

p8MRt3e.jpg

Snowdogyyz

I have an Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50 watter and a Dual Dark 50 watter. Both are amazing at what they do. The RV covers classic to 80’s metal very well. The DD can get super heavy. Some don’t like it but I love it for high gain stuff. I don’t imagine I’ll ever let either of them go!
6KkGEds.jpg

N9bhNRM.jpg

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
I have an Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50 watter and a Dual Dark 50 watter. Both are amazing at what they do. The RV covers classic to 80’s metal very well. The DD can get super heavy. Some don’t like it but I love it for high gain stuff. I don’t imagine I’ll ever let either of them go!
6KkGEds.jpg

N9bhNRM.jpg

Oh **** now i want a dual dark...

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Orange Amps are great looking and sounding. Mine is a 90's OR120 RI. It's very rare. .Normally Reissues aren't rare but it this one definitely is. It sounds great, and seems like a cross between old-Marshall and Vox to me tonewise. I still have it, and have other amps I use much more frequently so someday will have to sell but I've loved it

p.s. I always wanted to get a Rockerverb, but am happy with my current gigging amps, and have a huge collection so it never happened. Hope others are enjoying them though as they seem killer along with many of their other models these days!

index.php

index.php

index.php

Eric

Last edited:

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Orange Amps are great looking and sounding. Mine is a 90's OR120 RI. It's very rare. .Normally Reissues aren't rare but it this one definitely is. It sounds great, and seems like a cross between old-Marshall and Vox to me tonewise. I still have it, and have other amps I use much more frequently so someday will have to sell but I've loved it

p.s. I always wanted to get a Rockerverb, but am happy with my current gigging amps, and have a huge collection so it never happened. Hope others are enjoying them though as they seem killer along with many of their other models these days!

index.php

index.php

index.php

Eric
sweet amp from the “resurgence“ period!

Shuster

I've owned only one Orange Amp, the Dark Terror, which I still have but doesn't get a lot of action lately. Great head with the right speaker/speakers!

Ultra GP

I need to get some pictures, but I've got a couple of interesting ones. A transitional OR120 from 1973 - it's basically a "pix only" amp (large PCB) but with the later style face plate. I've seen 2-3 others like this. Has a bit more headroom than most, and a great clean sound. Other is a Matamp-built OR120, but I don't know the story behind that one.

Also, any love for the Rocker 30?

Bought the head version new in late 2006 - still sounding great. :beer

qHob6hl.jpg

My Dual Terror was my first tube amp, and I've still got it. Just put the gain to about 1 o clock and clean up with your volume knob, hit it with a boost for soloing. It's voiced really well too, and the lone tone knob makes it easy to knock off a bit of high end if you want. It's sounded great through any cabinet I've used and has been a trusted gig partner for years.

Barquentine

qHob6hl.jpg

My Dual Terror was my first tube amp, and I've still got it. Just put the gain to about 1 o clock and clean up with your volume knob, hit it with a boost for soloing. It's voiced really well too, and the lone tone knob makes it easy to knock off a bit of high end if you want. It's sounded great through any cabinet I've used and has been a trusted gig partner for years.

For a few years (till about two years ago) I rehearsed in a studio that had a deal with Orange amps so they had the whole range available. I tried them all and didn't get on with most of them but I loved the Dual Terror. Great tones and so easy to use.

Luke V

Silver Supporting Member
I Love Orange amps, been using them since '05. I have a Tiny Terror, Tiny Terror combo, Rocker 30c, Or15, and Micro Terror. I mainly use the TT combo, it so simple, small, and sounds great, not just a one trick pony for me. I've used it in my classic rock band, hard rock band, blues band, and R&B band.

M

Member 45810

I've owned a bunch and don't anymore. The only one I miss is the Rocker30 head. They're great at first but I get bored with them quickly. It's not my tone.
The ones I've owned:
- TH30 (twice). Cool but there's something about el84s that I can't get. It's still one of the great values out there in the orange lineup imo. I don't need it and eventually sold it a second time but it's a good amp.
-Rocker 30 Just great. Wish I still had it. The natural channel is ok but limited volume-wise if you want clean. The dirty channel is amazing.
-Thunderverb50. Great for the first hour. Than I realized how boxy channel A was and how limiting the shape knob is on channel B (love it on the TH30 though). Gave it a year then sold it. No regrets.
-OR15. Really not my thing. (el84 and low-wattage aren't for me)

I'm really curious about trying and OR50 though.

Last edited by a moderator:

stargazer747

Big-Time Orange guy here! I've had 5x Terrors;

Dark Terror
Jim Root Terror
Rocker 15 Terror
Brent Hinds Terror
Micro Dark Terror

I've recently sold the Jim Root, Brent Hinds, & Micro Dark Terrors, replacing them with the newest EVH 5150III LBX-S. But my main tone is always the Dark Terror.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom