• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Orange Amplification Owners Thread

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Hey everyone! I just dropped this, thought you guys might like it:

finally listened to the whole thing - was pleased to hear self-affirmation for my love of the rocker 15. — also pleased to hear how the ss micro dark sounded pretty dang good as i have always thought

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
Never had an Orange. Just got the Micro Dark hoping it'd be a good clean pedal platform and well as an opportunity to get a taste for some sludgy Orange gain. And it delivers all around. I can't believe how fantastic it sounds getting hit with low to high gain with my BE-OD or Wampler Pantheon. Tons of clarity and punch. Very pleased. $159 after AMS coupon. Like this for a clean pedal platform WAY more than the Quilter SuperBlock US I was using for a while. That thing had a muddy lower mid voice that I could not get rid of. Every one of it's voices was problematic in it's own way. The Micro Dark though is perfection. Gain at 10 o'clock, Shape at 2 o'clock, and volume set to where I need it. Crazy loud too. I always use it through my Two Notes Captor to get that 20db attenuation. This thing is amazing for the price, and it's definitely got me interested in some of the other sub-$1000 Orange offerings!

classicplayer

Never had an Orange. Just got the Micro Dark hoping it'd be a good clean pedal platform and well as an opportunity to get a taste for some sludgy Orange gain. And it delivers all around. I can't believe how fantastic it sounds getting hit with low to high gain with my BE-OD or Wampler Pantheon. Tons of clarity and punch. Very pleased. $159 after AMS coupon. Like this for a clean pedal platform WAY more than the Quilter SuperBlock US I was using for a while. That thing had a muddy lower mid voice that I could not get rid of. Every one of it's voices was problematic in it's own way. The Micro Dark though is perfection. Gain at 10 o'clock, Shape at 2 o'clock, and volume set to where I need it. Crazy loud too. I always use it through my Two Notes Captor to get that 20db attenuation. This thing is amazing for the price, and it's definitely got me interested in some of the other sub-$1000 Orange offerings!

I got into the Orange flavor first with a Micro Dark. I seldom drag it out, but it's a surprising little 20-watt beast of Orange tone. It influenced me to try the Dark Terror (after contemplating other Terror amps) and I have not been disappointed in picking that one because it can go from Zeppelin to Metal with a few knob turns and the right guitars.

My only criticism of the Micro Dark is that being a hybrid type of amplifier, it sounds a little bit too “immediate” and without much give to the sound. I think I could have got around that with some playing finesses and knob twiddling, but at the time I was using the matching Orange PPC108 cab. If well-cared for, Micro Dark should last you a long time and make a good recording type of amp.

classicplayer

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I got into the Orange flavor first with a Micro Dark. I seldom drag it out, but it's a surprising little 20-watt beast of Orange tone. It influenced me to try the Dark Terror (after contemplating other Terror amps) and I have not been disappointed in picking that one because it can go from Zeppelin to Metal with a few knob turns and the right guitars.

My only criticism of the Micro Dark is that being a hybrid type of amplifier, it sounds a little bit too “immediate” and without much give to the sound. I think I could have got around that with some playing finesses and knob twiddling, but at the time I was using the matching Orange PPC108 cab. If well-cared for, Micro Dark should last you a long time and make a good recording type of amp.

classicplayer

Thanks for sharing your experience. Definitely interested in the Dark Terror. The price is pretty great. Also looking at the OR15, Dual Terror, and Rocker 15. I don't know much about the differences between them, but I've got a bit of learning to do.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing your experience. Definitely interested in the Dark Terror. The price is pretty great. Also looking at the OR15, Dual Terror, and Rocker 15. I don't know much about the differences between them, but I've got a bit of learning to do.
of those three, the rocker 15 for sure. 2 channels, takes pedals great on the natural channel, and the power scaling is fantastic 15, 7, 1 or 0.5 watts of output. amazingly versatile
buy an eq pedal and put it in the loop. infinite possibilities

Last edited:

Beefeater

I have both the Dark Terror and OR15. Both are phenomenal amps. Dark Terror is a bit tighter with higher gain and my go to for late night shreds but the OR15 just oozes thick classic tone and can tighten up with an OD pedal. I personally think set up clean the OR15 crushes the Dark and and 3 band EQ gives you more flexibility to shape your tone. The only downfall I see with them compared to the Rocker or Dual is that they are single channel amps BUT you can get around this if you get both.

There are lots of great comparisons videos out there on these if you can't find a shop to try one out yourself.

someguyfromnc

Dual Terror is my main amp. I use to gig with a micd Tiny Terror and everyone I play with still talk about how great that thing sounded. Nothing like a small amp cranked.

Axe-Man

I wonder when Orange starts incorporating the clean into their other heads?

OR20, Dual Dark Terror, Jim Root #4.2 etc

Soot

I put a 5751 in V1 of my OR15 a few weeks back and I love it. The gain doesn't come on as fast and cleans up better with the guitar volume, and it smoothed some harshness from the eq. There's still a ton of gain available, it's just easier to dial in on the lower end. I won't be putting the 12ax7 back.

If it had been available at the time I would have gone with a Rocker 15. They're sort of like a smaller TH30 and that's pretty much perfection in my book. So versatile.

classicplayer

i keep quality (read expensive) tubes in my Dark Terror. Just was checking current price on the last complete set and the price has risen by $42.00 U.S. since late summer!! Like buying a $100.00 printer with $62.00 worth of cartridges.

classicplayer

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
I put a 5751 in V1 of my OR15 a few weeks back and I love it. The gain doesn't come on as fast and cleans up better with the guitar volume, and it smoothed some harshness from the eq. There's still a ton of gain available, it's just easier to dial in on the lower end. I won't be putting the 12ax7 back.

If it had been available at the time I would have gone with a Rocker 15. They're sort of like a smaller TH30 and that's pretty much perfection in my book. So versatile.
I really need to try this tube in my OR15. I don't ever put the gain past 1:00 and could use a better clean up with the volume knob and smooth some of the graininess. Easy enough mod and also easy to reverse. What kind of 5751 did you go with?

Soot

I really need to try this tube in my OR15. I don't ever put the gain past 1:00 and could use a better clean up with the volume knob and smooth some of the graininess. Easy enough mod and also easy to reverse. What kind of 5751 did you go with?

I had 4 JJ 5751's gathering dust. It worked so well I did the same thing in my Reverend Hellhound amp, but I haven't played it much because I can't stop playing the OR15. I think it's going to work out well, though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom