Orange Amplification Owners Thread

hippieboy

I have the Rocker 15. I don't care for the clean channel. I get nice cleans and enough gain out of the just the gain channel. The amp itself if very well constructed. The transformers are large and heavy, suitable for a higher wattage amp. The amp should last forever with an occasional tube change in the final amp stage. The pre-amp tubes should last a very long time. I have had mine for over a year with no tube issues.

that sounds great! what kind of music do you play? do you feel the presence is lacking with the amp overall, specially for lead stuff? cut through the mix?

fos1

I play a little of everything, mostly classic rock and rockabilly. I started playing in the early 70s and still don't know much. ;)

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
Thank !

Hey thanks for the detailed response, it sounds good, I'm not looking for metal, hard rock at the most, I don't use active guitars, I do use a lot of pedals though, I know the clean channel is super simple and doesn't have eq but I hope it plays nice too.

Yes 12" speakers are definitely better I agree, that's also why I'm thinking on the head version.

you did feel it was dark, what guitar were you using with it? did you try different guitars? all of them felt too dark?

I was using a WGS ET-10 speaker, with both HB guitars (HH Strat, PRS, Daion) and a Strat with single coil texas heats. Just needed a slight bump up at 3.2K and 6.4k and I was there.

Al

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
I live outside the US!

Sounds great, regarding the dark (lack of presence) did you use it live without an eq pedal? I don't play metal btw I'm looking for 70's rock/hard rock sound, crunch and lead, I use lots of pedals too.
i used it for jams with friends at louder volumes. i def know ur pedal prefs my friend! i bet ur kot would sound dope through this thing - i have a clone of a kot on the way while my real kot date approaches!

Ja2854

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone can chime in on Rockerverb Clean channel vs Mesa Boogie? Looking for a good pedal platform as an upgrade to my DSL20 which I really like. Also looking at Hi-Tone but have always been drawn to Orange Amps.

hippieboy

I was using a WGS ET-10 speaker, with both HB guitars (HH Strat, PRS, Daion) and a Strat with single coil texas heats. Just needed a slight bump up at 3.2K and 6.4k and I was there.

Al

I definitely need to try one!!

i used it for jams with friends at louder volumes. i def know ur pedal prefs my friend! i bet ur kot would sound dope through this thing - i have a clone of a kot on the way while my real kot date approaches!

Thanks I'd definitely need to try my KOT with it! I need amp gain in my life its one of those things that I've never really understood but now I feel it might be the time, hopefully orange is the way to go at least for that price range!

The Killing Joke

Gold Supporting Member
I have had a number of Orange amps and I love them. Oddly I think the Rockerverb 50 MKIII was my least favorite, that’s not to say it was bad in anyway. I loved my Thunderverb the most. Loved the bass heads. I have come back to one amp in particular at least 3 times though if not 4 and it is the dark terror. I think it might be my favorite gain of any amp and being the addict I am I have owned a lot over the past 30 years. Not that’s not to say it is better or any of that nonsense, it is personal to my ears. I personally like the gain structure I. The thunder/dark series a lot. The dark is nice though because you can actually open it up and get it cooking, which I could never do with say a Diezel Herbert.

classicplayer

I have had a number of Orange amps and I love them. Oddly I think the Rockerverb 50 MKIII was my least favorite, that’s not to say it was bad in anyway. I loved my Thunderverb the most. Loved the bass heads. I have come back to one amp in particular at least 3 times though if not 4 and it is the dark terror. I think it might be my favorite gain of any amp and being the addict I am I have owned a lot over the past 30 years. Not that’s not to say it is better or any of that nonsense, it is personal to my ears. I personally like the gain structure I. The thunder/dark series a lot. The dark is nice though because you can actually open it up and get it cooking, which I could never do with say a Diezel Herbert.

Agreed re: Dark Terror. It does have an appealing and engaging gain structure and it's lower wattage means the peak ones it has can be achieved at reasonable volumes. My DT is nearing 4 years as my sole tube amp and the Orange PPC112 it’s paired with is now 5 years old and V30 completely broken in. Orange have some winning amps, but I'll put the DT up against any of the Oranges.

classicplayer

hippieboy

Hey guys I just talked with the store I mentioned above and they have this orange models:

Orange Crush Pro 120
Orange TH30-H
Orange Dual Terror
Orange Rocker 15 terror.

How would you rank those?

From the videos I think I'd rank them like this:

1. Orange Rocker 15 terror.
2. Orange Dual Terror
3. Orange TH30-H
4. Orange Crush Pro 120

What do you think?

The Killing Joke

Gold Supporting Member
Agreed re: Dark Terror. It does have an appealing and engaging gain structure and it's lower wattage means the peak ones it has can be achieved at reasonable volumes. My DT is nearing 4 years as my sole tube amp and the Orange PPC112 it’s paired with is now 5 years old and V30 completely broken in. Orange have some winning amps, but I'll put the DT up against any of the Oranges.

classicplayer
At one point I had the Rocker, an Uber, JCM800 and AXE FX II and the Dark sounded best to me a few others we shot out against. Now the Dark is not the most versatile and I was playing covers, and was playing guitar in two bands and bass in another so I opted fractal and then helix then back to fractal just because you know it suited my purposes traveling to three practice spaces. I got all my Dark Terrors for 3-400 bucks too and I retuned one of them I had and it sounded even better (cuz you can actually cook the tubes a little and notice the difference IMHO)

I don't actually have a high gain amp right now (nor any modelers aside from Helix Native in my DAW) and I will likely buy another Dark Terror, but I might be interested in trying a Dual Dark. I do have a Bad Cat Hot Cat which can do high gain but I use that for the clean channel and just drive that amp. The Gain is a little mushy for the "high" gain thing

The Killing Joke

Gold Supporting Member
Hey guys I just talked with the store I mentioned above and they have this orange models:

Orange Crush Pro 120
Orange TH30-H
Orange Dual Terror
Orange Rocker 15 terror.

How would you rank those?

From the videos I think I'd rank them like this:

1. Orange Rocker 15 terror.
2. Orange Dual Terror
3. Orange TH30-H
4. Orange Crush Pro 120

What do you think?

Yeah safe to assume the Crush would come in last as that is the SS version and TBH it isn't bad. Doesn't hold up really well in a band situation though as I played with a guy who was using that as his rig and he got rid of it. Got lost in the mix and he upgraded. Still sounded really good for the $$$ IMHO.

On the other 3 you are talking pretty similar things and it really goes by what gain structures you like. All of those amps are comparable quality wise for sure. If your ears rank them in that order off of video's they may very well rank them that way in real life. Video's are hard though for so many varying reasons. Just like live, it is different being in different rooms etc... Video's have even more variables if not all done by the same person.

I don't think you can't go wrong trying any of them out though. The Rocker is well loved. I have played them but never owned one.

hippieboy

Yeah safe to assume the Crush would come in last as that is the SS version and TBH it isn't bad. Doesn't hold up really well in a band situation though as I played with a guy who was using that as his rig and he got rid of it. Got lost in the mix and he upgraded. Still sounded really good for the $$$ IMHO.

On the other 3 you are talking pretty similar things and it really goes by what gain structures you like. All of those amps are comparable quality wise for sure. If your ears rank them in that order off of video's they may very well rank them that way in real life. Video's are hard though for so many varying reasons. Just like live, it is different being in different rooms etc... Video's have even more variables if not all done by the same person.

I don't think you can't go wrong trying any of them out though. The Rocker is well loved. I have played them but never owned one.

Thank you very much for the response! Which one do you think cuts better in a mix of those 3 ?

I've seen lots of videos, however I really like these videos as reference:

Very similar sounds though!

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
I can’t say enough good things about the r15t. The clean channel is pretty unremarkable, but you can get pretty sparkly and spanky on the drive channel if you leave the gain turned down, with the 3 band eq. Of course, most people don’t care about orange cleans, myself included.
I use an old tiny terror combo I got cheap recently as my main amp at home, with a greenback in it.
For live/band duty, that r15t and the 2/12 with the neo creamback a is plenty, even on 7w.
I set both at a mild breakup with the guitar volume on 3-4, and ride the volume for all my gain short of fuzz.
They do compress quite a bit at higher gain settings, which isn’t my thing, but I’ve seen people purchasing pedals to do just that.
I’m pretty enamored with my whole orange experience thus far, and wish I’d done this years ago.
People talk about crappy reliability, and I’ll not jinx myself by talking out of turn.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Thank you very much for the response! Which one do you think cuts better in a mix of those 3 ?

I've seen lots of videos, however I really like these videos as reference:

Very similar sounds though!

No offense to jon or whatever his name is, he is a great member here, but his production techniques really squish out alot of the unique tones in his shoot outs. In my mind the R15 or TH are the two to consider….

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Anyone can chime in on Rockerverb Clean channel vs Mesa Boogie? Looking for a good pedal platform as an upgrade to my DSL20 which I really like. Also looking at Hi-Tone but have always been drawn to Orange Amps.
Having owned a mkiv head and several low wattage oranges, you are really talking about two different experiences. The oranges will always have a tad of character, whereas the mesa is a chameleon. That said dialing in mesas becomes an art that i despised over time. Oranges are more plug n play. Not all overdrives are wonderful with orange but a decent screamer or a low gain marshall-ish drive (like an ocd) go great w orange. Also fuzzes and orange are great together.

Ja2854

Silver Supporting Member
Having owned a mkiv head and several low wattage oranges, you are really talking about two different experiences. The oranges will always have a tad of character, whereas the mesa is a chameleon. That said dialing in mesas becomes an art that i despised over time. Oranges are more plug n play. Not all overdrives are wonderful with orange but a decent screamer or a low gain marshall-ish drive (like an ocd) go great w orange. Also fuzzes and orange are great together.

Thing is I like the Orange sound but wanted to know if the clean headroom is there or will the clean channel break up at a certain point? Most people point to Hiwatt/Reeves/Hitone for high headroom cleans but I tend to gravitate more towards the Marshall/Orange sounds.

all thorns no flowers

Silver Supporting Member
orange micro terror full stack!

Attachments

• 20220215_220840_HDR.jpg
    20220215_220840_HDR.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 15

hippieboy

No offense to jon or whatever his name is, he is a great member here, but his production techniques really squish out alot of the unique tones in his shoot outs. In my mind the R15 or TH are the two to consider….

So you think that video doesn't represent the real sound of the amps?

stargazer747

I find just a medium gain overdrive does just fine with Orange Terrors. They've always worked well with each of the 5x Terrors I had, including my only remaining model Rocker 15.

Last edited:

Top Bottom