Orange Amplification Owners Thread

Axe-Man

The Dark Terror is a good amp. One of the best little high gainers for the money you can pick them up for with a big cab. They don’t even need a boost. EQ in the loop for just a touch of mids helps.

The Rocker 15 combo is decently bright for drive. Clean is a little middle of the road. Kind of like a particularly dull sounding Vox. Through a cab the R15 is pretty cool. The head would be the ticket with say the PPC112 and an OD in the front plus EQ and delay in the loop. Very flexible and lots of gain but quite vintage voiced.

The Rockerverb clean is solid for a high gain amp. Gain is unique. I’ve wanted another for a while but now have another option below.

IMPO the Mesa Rectifier (previous Mesa Q) is super easy to dial in and stands alone as it has ‘that’ sound that basically no other amp has copied. Love the Mini Rectifier much more than the Rectoverb 25 amps I’ve owned. Expensive but great.

Something to keep an eye out for is the new Tubesteader Sunkeeper. It’s a Rockerverb in a pedal. Two 12AX7 tubes as plate voltage too. I’m definitely getting one of these for my AC30 rig. It’ll likely rip going by early demos.

hippieboy

What do you guys thing about using a 1x12 open back cab with the rocker 15, not interested in metal sounds, more vintage hard rock, 70s rock.

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
What do you guys thing about using a 1x12 open back cab with the rocker 15, not interested in metal sounds, more vintage hard rock, 70s rock.

I think it would sound great. I had the combo, but would use it with my Forte' 3D single 12" and it sounded killer. Again, that amp punches way above it weight....

Al

stargazer747

I have the Rocker 15 Terror, its not considered to be a high gain amp but for 70s Classic Rock it shines. I prefer closed back cabs, my Marshall 412 with V30s and both EVH 212 & 112 cabs are all closed backs. I feel they keep the sound focused at the front without a loss of the frequencies bleeding out from an open back. However, it should do fine with your preference of open back cabs no less.

hippieboy

I think it would sound great. I had the combo, but would use it with my Forte' 3D single 12" and it sounded killer. Again, that amp punches way above it weight....

Al

I have the Rocker 15 Terror, its not considered to be a high gain amp but for 70s Classic Rock it shines. I prefer closed back cabs, my Marshall 412 with V30s and both EVH 212 & 112 cabs are all closed backs. I feel they keep the sound focused at the front without a loss of the frequencies bleeding out from an open back. However, it should do fine with your preference of open back cabs no less.

Thank you!

hippieboy

Ok, so today I finally decided and got the Rocker 15, I've only used it for around 20 min with the two rock open cab and it sounds great, I tried it at the store and it was a bit dark, I felt the same way in my house with the two rock cab, however, I like the sound and I know if i want to change it and eq pedal in the fx loop will do the trick.

I love that this amp makes me want to rock and it reminds me of the 70s stuff I had in mind when I got the itch for a "hard rock sounding amp" so far I've only used the gain in the amp and it sounds great, no pedals yet, I tried it with my Suhr modern custom, I haven't tried the strat yet, but so far the HH in the Suhr sounds great, I'm happy with my purchase!

The little bag is very nice too!

I'm happy to be a part of the Orange Club now!

sjEksZr.jpg

Eb2AcMX.jpg

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Ok, so today I finally decided and got the Rocker 15, I've only used it for around 20 min with the two rock open cab and it sounds great, I tried it at the store and it was a bit dark, I felt the same way in my house with the two rock cab, however, I like the sound and I know if i want to change it and eq pedal in the fx loop will do the trick.

I love that this amp makes me want to rock and it reminds me of the 70s stuff I had in mind when I got the itch for a "hard rock sounding amp" so far I've only used the gain in the amp and it sounds great, no pedals yet, I tried it with my Suhr modern custom, I haven't tried the strat yet, but so far the HH in the Suhr sounds great, I'm happy with my purchase!

sjEksZr.jpg

Eb2AcMX.jpg
welcome to the club! yep orange has a darker complex tone - the thing is, it grows on you, to the point that you start hearing the "fizz" in other amps' treble bands that you never noticed before.

good on you for taking a chance!! i think you will enjoy!

hippieboy

welcome to the club! yep orange has a darker complex tone - the thing is, it grows on you, to the point that you start hearing the "fizz" in other amps' treble bands that you never noticed before.

good on you for taking a chance!! i think you will enjoy!

Yes, I'm happy I took a chance, so far I'm delving more into the rock sounds, later I'll go into the mid gain and cleanish sounds, however I know they sound good too!

classicplayer

sjEksZr.jpg

Eb2AcMX.jpg

As the Orange Dark Terror “grew” on me, the Terror 15 will most likely grow on you also. Orange's lunchbox amps are pretty well built and the designer has put decent transformers and gain stages to satisfy anyone wishing to Rock. Let us know how you like your Strat through it. My preference is humbuckers. Even a lower wound humbucker can get the tone out of this 15-water little “beast”. Your Shur cab should bring out every tone in your amp, easily. Congratulations!

classicplayer

Last edited:

stargazer747

sjEksZr.jpg

Eb2AcMX.jpg
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase of the Rocker 15 Terror, you'll have tons of fun with it. Still have mine, I prefer the slight darkness in tone, for me it works with my passion for 70s and 80s Classic and Hard Rock but can do metal and chug with a medium overdrive, check out Ola England video demos.

Enjoy!

hippieboy

As the Orange Dark Terror “grew” on me, the Terror 15 will most likely grow on you also. Orange's lunchbox amps are pretty well built and the designer has put decent transformers and gain stages to satisfy anyone wishing to Rock. Let us know how you like your Strat through it. My preference is humbuckers. Even a lower wound humbucker can get the tone out of this 15-water little “beast”. Your Shur cab should bring out every tone in your amp, easily. Congratulations!

classicplayer

classicplayer

Yes, so far with humbuckers it sounds great, that's what I was expecting, I haven't tried the strat yet but hopefully later today I'll have some time to play around with it, I was a bit nervous about using the two rock open back cab, In the store I tried it with a Marshall 4x12 but honestly it wasn't my favorite then I tried it with a 1x12 orange cab that sounded great, I'm not looking to get a cab but I gotta say I really liked that Orange cab.

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase of the Rocker 15 Terror, you'll have tons of fun with it. Still have mine, I prefer the slight darkness in tone, for me it works with my passion for 70s and 80s Classic and Hard Rock but can do metal and chug with a medium overdrive, check out Ola England video demos.

Enjoy!

Thank you very much! I do like the dark sounds too I'm gonna play around a little more and use pedals to see what other sounds I can get out of it, it's exactly in the range of gain sounds I like, hard rock, stoner, and also a nice clean.

hippieboy

Here's a little clip with my Rocker 15 terror, using a two rock 1x12 cab open back, a Suhr modern custom set neck HH, no pedals.

hippieboy

i think that sounds great! then boost the **** out of it into the stratosphere.

Yess and it was only at 0.5 watts it was late in the day and didn't want to bother the neighbors.

Its the first time I have a high gain amp that I like a lot, I'll start testing pedals to make it sing!

Boyan1984

Hey Orange fans!
I've got a new Orange Crush 60 combo two months ago and I love the thing. The stock speaker is allright, actually I can't see anything wrong with it, but has anyone here tried a different speaker in the combo? If yes - what other speakers do you like in it? I play everything - from blues and jazz to norwegian black metal and doom. Looking for a nice allround speaker, just to experiment and to see if this little beast can sound different from stock.
Cheers!

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Hey Orange fans!
I've got a new Orange Crush 60 combo two months ago and I love the thing. The stock speaker is allright, actually I can't see anything wrong with it, but has anyone here tried a different speaker in the combo? If yes - what other speakers do you like in it? I play everything - from blues and jazz to norwegian black metal and doom. Looking for a nice allround speaker, just to experiment and to see if this little beast can sound different from stock.
Cheers!
ill say this - the modern VotW speaker is quite divisive, with some users loving them while other users cant get rid of them fast enough.
from what ive read here and other forums, i think the dislike was expressed moreso by users that found them to have too much midrange.

i have always owned orange heads - never a combo or cab so i dont have an opinion but im replying to bump the thread for you

Boyan1984

ill say this - the modern VotW speaker is quite divisive, with some users loving them while other users cant get rid of them fast enough.
from what ive read here and other forums, i think the dislike was expressed moreso by users that found them to have too much midrange.

i have always owned orange heads - never a combo or cab so i dont have an opinion but im replying to bump the thread for you
Hey thanx for the answer! In fact I can't find anything wrong with the stock speaker, far better than many. Too much midrange? honestly I don't hear it like that. Isn't the Celestion V30 a mid range focused speaker? If my memory serves me right - the VOTW speaker is supposedly pretty much like a V30.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom