Orange Amplification Owners Thread

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Hey thanx for the answer! In fact I can't find anything wrong with the stock speaker, far better than many. Too much midrange? honestly I don't hear it like that. Isn't the Celestion V30 a mid range focused speaker? If my memory serves me right - the VOTW speaker is supposedly pretty much like a V30.
yes - im a v30 guy myself, so perhaps i would like the stock VotW!

but to your point, thats what ive read on forums.

the biggest thing is iF YOU like it, which it sounds like you do!

i briefly owned a Crush 100 head and for how affordable it was i wish i had just kept it instead of selling it. Orange makes great solid state amps!

currently still have the rocker 15 terror head

Boyan1984

I like the speaker, no doubt about it. Mind you - its not even broken in yet since I'm a bedroom player. The Crush series are awesome, I wish I got the 120 version, but the 60 combo was a bargain and since I only play at home it does its job great.
Some say they sound a bit dark - maybe, but that's what I like about them. I thought I was a Fender/Marshall guy, but it turns out I'm not, go figure. Also the pick ups on my Hagstrom sound pretty dark so it's a perfect match for all things heavy and warm. If someone asks me to describe a warm tone - I would say to them - CRUSH.

Last edited:

classicplayer

I've never played a Crush model,mbut have thought about them as an SS alternative to my own Dark Terror. More than one owner or reviewer of Orange amps has commented on their tendency to be “warm” sounding. My Dark Terror has been described as such, and I'd agree in that once this amp has sufficiently warmed up, it begins to shed those spikey upper mids (which it never really was designed to possess) to the point of a certain warmth that Marshall and Marshall designed amps maintain. I would not be surprised to find that the Crush series could also be described as being “warm” toned.

classicplayer

speedtaco

I had a quick question about the Celestion vintage 30 speakers. isn’t there an English made version, and a Chinese made version? I ask because I have a orange 2/12 cabinet, and I’m wondering which speakers are in mine. I can’t get the back off of my cabinet! I think it’s been on there so long that the tolex has formed a bond between the the back and the cabinet. whatever speakers are in there, I love the sound of them.

JimmyBrungus

I had a quick question about the Celestion vintage 30 speakers. isn’t there an English made version, and a Chinese made version? I ask because I have a orange 2/12 cabinet, and I’m wondering which speakers are in mine. I can’t get the back off of my cabinet! I think it’s been on there so long that the tolex has formed a bond between the the back and the cabinet. whatever speakers are in there, I love the sound of them.

There are and have been actually quite a few v30 variants over the years. The standard celestion v30s have tight bass cutoff, a distinct upper mids spike, and are probably the most widely used general purpose "modern" speaker of this generation. I personally haven't noticed any difference between the Chinese and UK made manufacturing of this variant. The Marshall branded celestion g12 vintage speakers are brighter and have more treble than the rest, but lack the sharp high mids spike. The mesa v30s sound more like the standard v30, but have slightly lower eq curve and a less abrasive mids spike. In addition to these versions, amp manufacturers can order custom spec'd v30s with proprietary tweaks. For specific identification, your best bet is probably the cone number.

If you can date your cabinet, I believe orange used UK made v30s in them until the early or mid 2000s, but like I said, I haven't noticed a general tonal difference between the UK and Chinese makes of the standard v30.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
I agree with the above and i also wanted to add that on older caba where its difficult to get the back off, use a stiff putty tool in the seam to help separate any tolex that is rubbing together. Then carefully, slowly, pry little by little down the seams. Eventually an edge will show itself.

The good news on this is it means your cab was built to spec with minimal air leakage on the back of the cab. Think positive :)

redcoats1976

ive always been curious about orange amps,but thought solid state was no good due to my experience with an early model spider amp that sounded horrible turned up.tried one out at GC and of course you cant really turn all the way up there,but i took the plunge and bought an orange crush 35 rt.got to crank it today and i was really shocked,this thing sounds good and is plenty loud.the cleans are not quite fendery,but the 5 watt vibrochamp ive got will take care of that.what an amazing little amp,especially for the price i paid.

JimmyBrungus

Good news/bad news.

Good news: I secured an early Emsley wired AD50 a few months back. It's got dynamite headroom and clarity, yet goes straight into Randy Rhoads without the footswitchable tonestack. I run it with the master at 1:00, treble and presence dimed, bass on 11:00, and gain at 4:30. It's perfect for my early 00's Texas alt rock influenced stuff. Jumped up in my amp rankings to compete with my phenomenal OTR120 for the top spot.

Bad news: I just played an early Custom Shop 50 the other day, and I think it might be better than the AD50. Much easier to coax some early gain from. AND has that old signature fuzzy/prickly breakup, which leads me to believe they may have actually switched back to that crucial old school cathodyne phase inverter, instead of the long tailed pair inverters they've been using since the late 90's. Anyone have some negative practical experience with the CS50h to talk me off the ledge of another GAS cliff?

Well, I still just have my Orange #4 Jim Root Terror - with addition of my PS2, the Jim Root Terror can be cranked and taken advantage of for that dynamic single channel sensitivity. It’s a beast of a little amp.

I have got the chance to experience more Orange flavors with my Joyo Oxford pedal and my MGP-1A which has the circuit of the Orange Graphic MKII in it - the very early Orange sound is amazing.

I still am going to buy a Super Crush or Crush CR120 and I’d like an OR15 too. I’d love a big 100 watt or 50 watt Rockerverb, but they are a bit out of my price range right now.

I’m more of a Marshall sounds type of player, but Orange would be number 2 next to Marshall, and Mesa coming in after Orange, Fender after Mesa, and Vox in the number 5 spot.

What I like about Orange is their selection and innovations.

Really versatile amps for a lot of styles.

broken_sound

Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
1973 GRO100.

An absolutely crushing 100w beast.

A9D23D29-8E0F-4B2F-8CD3-FB35484A2430.jpeg

Top Bottom