Orange AND Dumble...? Carol Ann or ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Keld, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Keld

Keld Member

Seesh, with all the dumble stuff going on around here, I almost hesitate to bring up another thread, but...

I love the thick, meaty tone of the Retro 50, but find it doesn't quite have the rich, blooming, sustaining lead tone that I'd like. If an amp had the Retro in one channel and a Dumble like lead in the other channel I'd be very happy.

Tried a Fuchs ODS and LOVED the lead channel, but the clean was too clean.

So, would a Carol Ann get there? A D'lite? or ???

Anyone able to help me out?

I tried to pm Zero, but his mailbox is full (!)

Thanks,

Keld

2. Keld

Keld Member

or, perhaps it would be easier if I ask about the "clean" channel on the Carol Ann. Can it do a thick overdrive with character?

What about a D'Lite? Bludotone? Or?? Something from Two Rock??

3. matte

matte Senior Member

the carol-ann clean channel, when pushed, will break up just like an og plexi.

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

not to be sarcastic, but you might give one of the dumble-style pedals a try. the zendrive & ethos are good, and there are some others about.

you can get some grit in the clean channel of the two rocks - it doesn't have to be super clean. but like the fuchs you are sharing the clean tone and gain controls with the lead channel, so there will be some balancing there with the lead tone

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Out of all the Dumble style amps that I have heard, the twoRock Opal and Bruno S 100 have the most gain in the clean channel. The tan Dumble at Ultrasound has LOTS of gain in the clean channel.

6. LVC

LVC Senior Member

that is exactly why I dig the fuchs -- OD is great --- but the cleans are insane --- by the way --- same reason I am a Carol Ann fan --- both amps are by far my favorites D vibe amps to date.

I am sure if you talk to Andy Fuchs he can probably work with you to help you achieve the type of break-up you are looking for in the clean channel of his ODS.

the fuchs clean channel also sounds great with OD pedals.

7. Keld

Keld Member

Thanks for the input - it's helpful.

As for pedals, I've tried a few, including the ethos and the Orange is a bit finicky - it works well with clean boosts but doesn't behave so well with pedals that want to add their own character.

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hi Keld,

With my Retro 50 I've had good luck getting sustaining lead tones that want to go into harmonic feedback from the following:

LDO (switch up or middle)

I also use a treble booster to get a similar effect (very touch sensitive and wanting to leap into harmonic overtones). If you use one with a range knob or various input caps (rather than the standard Rangemaster value) you can tune the thickness just nicely.

Good luck with the search!
    Chris

9. soulohio

soulohio Member

I got a Diablo pedal and it is nice and works well with my OR120...and I am looking for a Retro 50 if you wanna move on...

10. Keld

Keld Member

Hah!:D Thanks, but I think I'll hang on to it. Still haven't found one, huh? Darn. One's bound to show up sooner or later.

The Diablo looks interesting. I think the sound clips were done with Chris' amp.

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

Yea, those sound clips are great. I use the Diablo+ with my VT40 and anything else laying around and it is a nice pedal. Thick and...Orange. I found a Retro 50 and am negotiatin'...think good Orange thoughts for me!

12. Keld

Keld Member

Crossing my fingers for you!