Orange cabs/Mesa heads: something wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by amdowell, Apr 12, 2008.

1. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I recently had an Orange rig (AD140HTC and PPC212) and wanted to swap the head for a Mesa 'cause I've seen a lot of fellas with Orange cabs and Mesa Rectifier heads and the like, but when I checked it out, the ohms don't match up. What's up with that? Am I missing something that's going to make me look like an imbecile?

2. Sam801

Sam801 Member

Could you be more specific? Mesa heads should be able to suit several different impedences. I believe Orange cabs are 16 ohms. The recto should be able to do that.

3. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

This is true. The Mesa Recto, 2 or 3 channels, have outputs for 4, 8, or 16 ohm cabs.

4. amdowell

Sorry guys, I only looked at the Mark IV and the Stiletto's. Those were the heads I was looking to swap the AD140 for. They only have impedences at 4 and 8 ohms. But that does explain a bit. I'd never seen a Stiletto and I was sure the Mark IV couldn't do it. I'm new at the ohms matching and whatnot.

5. Johnson

Johnson Member

I'm a big fan of the Orange 4x12 + Rectifier Rigs. They sound HUGE!

6. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Yes you are right about those amps. I could never figure why Mesa didn't have 16 ohm outputs on the Stiletto since it's their "British" voiced amp. Most Marshall cabs are 16 ohms so..

7. amdowell

Yeah, that's why I was puzzled, not to mention the Stiletto's are pretty new. Thought that might have something to do with the 16 ohm-age.

I agree about the Rectos and Orange 4x12s, man. Right now I'm just running the Mesa 2x12 with my Stiletto on 50W, but someday I'd like to get an old rectifier and an Orange 4x12.

8. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

Dude I think the orange cabs are over rated, I would go check into Basson cabs and Vader cabs because you can even read the reviews on harmony central and I can guarentee you that a orange cab does not even come close to the ratings that both of these cab makers have for ratings. Also I have a old 2ch Mesa Dual Rec that I would be willing to get rid of, and it has the original footswitch with high gain JJ tubes that have around 15 hrs of play time on the tubes. And this head will destroy any new Rectifier head you put up against it; also I would want to get $1300 for it If I sell it because the head is in really excellent shape for being a mid 90's head.

9. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

and for the money they're way way cheaper to buy one new than it would be to buy a used Orange cab

10. amdowell

I had a few 2-channel Rectos, matter of fact I had a pre-500 era Blackface that I bought dirt cheap on eBay. Wish I would've kept it, but to be honest, I think my Stiletto destroys it. Maybe not destroys, but at least one-ups it. I can't say destroys 'cause I love the old '90s Dual Rectifiers. They're solid amps, man. Good luck with your sale. If I hadn't bought the Stiletto I might've checked out your head.

What are Vader cabs about?

11. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

Vader cabinets care more about there customers than the price of the cab which is way cheaper than any other brand besides Basson, and both companies strive to make there customers happy and make the better sounding cabs cheaper than every other company. Basson cabs are sold at any sam ash and on musiciansfriend dot com and with Vader you can only buy directly from them. Just go on google and type in vader cabs and it will pull up the company website. Also about the dual rec I wish mine was the rare blackface ones but I am content with the one I have