Orange distortion in a box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CapSized, Aug 20, 2005.

1. CapSized

CapSized Guest

Because I'm living in an apartment, I can't really get an Orange amp and crank it to get that nice crunchy distortion that I want. Unfortunatly even the latest amp modlers (Pod XT, Toneworks, GT-8, Adrenalinn, etc) didn't think to include Orange amps in their designs. So is there any pedal/amp emulator/something that can give me an Orange amp distortion sound? I'm not expecting something exactly spot on here, just reasonably close. It would be nice if it could do a close approximation of a JCM-800 as well. Any suggestions?

2. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

do a search for "marshall distortion in a box" or "marshall stack in a box". there are literally hundreds of these threads. if you're looking for an approximation, you will find a list of answers there. if you're looking for spot on, it won't happen. no one has made a pedal that sounds like any cranked tube amp. approximations are all we've got.

3. CapSized

CapSized Guest

I've read through the "Marshall in a box" thread, but I'm mostly looking for an Orange distortion sound, it would just be _nice_ if it was versitale enough to do a Marshall sound as well.

Like I already said, I know its not going to be spot on, I'm not expecting the world here. But it should be close enough that I can recognize it as being Orangeish. Like with my Pod XT, I can dial in an amp and recognize, yeah, thats a Fender sound, or a Marshall, or a Vox. No, it doesn't sound like a tube and the distorted sounds are clearly digital, but its sorta close and it doesn't have the neighbors calling the cops on me.

4. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Sorry dude. I was under the assumption that an Orange sounded "apporximately" like a Marshall. I'm not really familiar with their subtle nuances. They're el84 amps though, right? Maybe check out the Bad Cat pedals. I think they have an overdrive that might be close to an el84 distortion. If you're looking for just a little distortion you could check out the Top Boost in a Can. I hear that sounds great in the lower to medium gain ranges. Those are the only el84-ish pedals I can think of. Hope that helps.

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Catalinbread SCOD

6. CapSized

CapSized Guest

Thanks, I'll check those out. Your right in a sense that the Orange sound is sorta close to a Marshall, at least closer than say, a Vox and a Marshall (The Vox and Orange are both Class A, and British). But I'm _hopeing_ for something accurate enough that I can tell its trying to immitate an Orange and not a Marshall.

7. VanStone

VanStone Member

I own the Catalinbread SCO suggested by Stevie. I have read that it does sound very Orange-like; but I can't tell you for sure, as I've never had the pleasure to play an Orange amp.

What I can tell you about the SCO is that it has a unique voice, it is a great sounding distortion box (one of the best I've heard), and that it loves humbuckers (it doesn't work so great with single coils, IMO).

V

8. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

+1 with a bullet.

I used to have a 70s NMV OR-120 full stack. Not the most practical rig, but some of the absolute best tones I've ever achieved -- clean, cranked, and in between. I ended up selling it to the golden-eared guy who produced/engineered our band's last two sessions.

Anyway ... having run my Orange side-by-side with a '73 Super Bass for several years, I can testify that a "Marshall in a box" pedal will not get you remotely in the ballpark of the "Orange Haze." The Catalinbread, SCOD, however, will get you there in a heartbeat. I don't know whether this was part of the design objective, but the results are pretty stellar. Since I got this little orange pedal (really, it's orange!) I've actually stopped surfing eBay for Orange amps.

- DB

9. CapSized

CapSized Guest

Awsome, I'm going to get one. Unfortunatly I don't have a guitar with humbuckers yet, I'm actually in the process of saving the $ for one though. Its definatly going to be a Les Paul, either Gibson or Heritage.

Anyway, can you guys suggest some good pickups to go with it? I've read the huge thread on everones favorite PAF reissue pickups, but I'm not looking for vintage tone. I'm after pickups for drop-d high gain distortion. Right now I'm looking at WCR HERCs, Lace drop & gain, Burstbucker Pros, or 490R/498Ts (I heard them on a Custom LP and really loved them, but I didn't hear them with high gain).

10. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I'd suggest checking out the Dimarzio D Sonic. Here's the spiel from their website:

Our first heavy humbucker of the 21st century, the D Sonic is a high-output bridge humbucker designed for the extended low end and heavy chords that dropped tuning delivers, with serious treble response for single-note solos and standard tuning.

I haven't heard this pickup, but I've tried enough Dimarzios to know that Steve Blucher has a great ear, and he's usually dead-on when aiming for a specific sound/application. Among Dimarzios with which I have personal experience, I found the Air Zone to work very nicely for drop-D tuning, though the gain level I was using was in the "Soldano cranked half-way" ballpark. As for Mesa Recto-type ultra high gain sludge tone, maybe someone else will chime in.

You might also ask Nicholas at Catalinbread for his thoughts on pickups.

- DB

11. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

i had a classic with the 490 and the 498's in it. they were pretty muddy sounding, and the neck position was nearly useless. so i stuck in some SD seth lovers which was a great improvment. i also have a more recent paul, and i swapped out the gibson 57paf models for fralins, and those are awesome, but might not be right for high gain. friend of mine has burstbuckers and loves em. but my suggestion would be suhr DSH's

12. CapSized

CapSized Guest

I guess its hard to go wrong with a Suhr. Do you know where I can find any sound clips of their pickups?

13. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Probably not the answer you're looking for but have you tried the new Rockerverb series? They are capable of a sound that mimics the old Orange sound (not the same...but closer to it than any other amp, and certainly closer than any pedal will get you) and have a master volume (on the OD channel) that works exceedingly well. Can get you down to tolerable 'appartment' volume levels. Something to consider...

14. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

You can try tube overdrives.

Real Tube Tube Works works great. I use that, with an OD, plus my distortion (Boss ME 50). Then I kick in a Rocktron Nitro ($49) and go to town. My sustain equals loud volumes, but I don't get that "out of body" experience as if I were playing loud.

I have a wife and kid in a small townhome. I am out of practice and I sound cruddy. I've been neutered since the day I got married...but she won't mess with my guitar.

...or try Tonebone, not the classic but the British emulator.

15. Occam

Occam Member

There are several flavors of orange distortion out there from the damn near clean to nice and fuzzy power tube crunch of vintage models to the generic high gain basically a marshall/mesa thing of the newer amps. Good vintage Orange amps are super unique in their sound...they're very open in the eq...it's not a scooping but just a really broad frequency range that opens eveyrthing up. The crunchiest part seems to be in the low's and low-mid's with the highs having a nice sizzle. I don't know of any pedal that does it because what you're really asking the pedal to do is faithfully replicate power tube distortion which is really hard to do.

16. CapSized

CapSized Guest

Thats what I'm after, any idea how the modern Orange AD series, and Rockerverbs compare to the vintage tone? I would assume that the AD series is the descendent of the old OD series, but I don't really have the opportunity to A/B them.

Also, I know I'm not really going to get the same sound out of a pedal, I just need something to tide me over until I get a house.

17. jordanL

jordanL Member

Can you suggest any recordings that would illustrate the Orange tone?

18. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The Fleetwood Mac "Live At The Boston Tea Party" is Les Paul/Orange. I believe Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On is also Matamp/Orange. The Japanese Stoner Rock Band "Boris" also use the Les Paul/vintage Orange combo.

19. CapSized

CapSized Guest

Orangeamps.com lists a ton of artists that use Orange gear. My personal favorite is Hum. One of the guitarists used a vintage Orange OD-120 (also with a Les Paul).

Orange

Heres a short clip that gives the Orange crunch sound all by itself, its taken from an mp3 of Hum playing live on Howard Stern. The first sound you hear is the Orange distortion, after that the guy talks for a second but gets interupted by a HiWatt 200 amp which also has a nice distorted crunch sound.

You only get to hear the orange for a second, but its the only thing going on and its a great example of what these amps would sound like in a live situation without any production to pretty up the sound.

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Pavement used Orange amps I believe.

taco