Orange Dual terror 30 watt head and perhaps a mod...

WillisChill

Hey cats,

I'm picking up an Orange Dual terror head in a matter of days. I'm super pumped to get it as it has been an amp I've wanted for the past 6 years but had other gear to buy and didn't have much of a need for a new amp.
I currently Play a Blackstar ht100 watt and I've loved it since I first plugged into it.

So I a have a few questions for you guys...
Does anyone have a decent amount of experience with this amp (good or bad)?

*Before the next question I would like inform you that I acknowledge that any answer is subjective and overall is dependent on the player and their needs/uses blah blah blah etc...*

Is it loud enough (particularly in comparison to my 100 watt Blackstar)?
I understand that there will be an obvious difference between 30 watts and 100 watts but I have heard that Class A amplifiers are a lot louder than their wattage would suggest.

What exactly is the difference between a Class A amplifier and other amps?

And lastly...

I use a decent amount of pedals (mostly delay, reverb, phaser, chorus etc...) and I love having the option to send my modulation effects through the fx loop on my Blackstar. This amp doesn't have an fx loop but I know a guy locally who does buffered fx loop mods to amps that don't have one. My question for you guys is: In your opinion, should I leave the amp alone or should I try to get the best of both worlds and have it modded? Money is not an issue in this case as the mod is very fairly priced for what I would be getting.

I'm really stoked to get this amp either way. I'm hoping to to get a more diverse tone from what I'm used to. I'm also stoked to having them going together and experiment with an AB switch.

Hoping for some good discussion and feedback from you fine folks at TGP. It's been a while since I've sat down and made a post.

Cheers,
-Will

motokev

I had one for a while, fun amp. The Blackstar will be much LOUDER. I didn't think the DT was that LOUD. I doubt the DT is a real Class A. From what I've read, only the low watt amps (5 watt maybe 10 watt) are real class A. There's all kinds of articles on this topic.

don't add an effects look. There are many different EFFECT LOOP designs and some are awful.

jpage

I had one for about a year--never gigged with it but it was loud enough. Used it for rehearsals quite a bit. Actually the 'clean' channel was more useful and had more headroom than the Rocker 30 I had at the same time. Cool amp, if it had an efx loop I would have kept it.

Hey cats,

I'm picking up an Orange Dual terror head in a matter of days. I'm super pumped to get it as it has been an amp I've wanted for the past 6 years but had other gear to buy and didn't have much of a need for a new amp.
I currently Play a Blackstar ht100 watt and I've loved it since I first plugged into it.

So I a have a few questions for you guys...
Does anyone have a decent amount of experience with this amp (good or bad)?

*Before the next question I would like inform you that I acknowledge that any answer is subjective and overall is dependent on the player and their needs/uses blah blah blah etc...*

Is it loud enough (particularly in comparison to my 100 watt Blackstar)?
I understand that there will be an obvious difference between 30 watts and 100 watts but I have heard that Class A amplifiers are a lot louder than their wattage would suggest.

What exactly is the difference between a Class A amplifier and other amps?

And lastly...

I use a decent amount of pedals (mostly delay, reverb, phaser, chorus etc...) and I love having the option to send my modulation effects through the fx loop on my Blackstar. This amp doesn't have an fx loop but I know a guy locally who does buffered fx loop mods to amps that don't have one. My question for you guys is: In your opinion, should I leave the amp alone or should I try to get the best of both worlds and have it modded? Money is not an issue in this case as the mod is very fairly priced for what I would be getting.

I'm really stoked to get this amp either way. I'm hoping to to get a more diverse tone from what I'm used to. I'm also stoked to having them going together and experiment with an AB switch.

Hoping for some good discussion and feedback from you fine folks at TGP. It's been a while since I've sat down and made a post.

Cheers,
-Will

I've had one for about three years, it and a Hughes and Kettner TM36 are the only amp heads I own. It's bloody great, loud as hell - dunno if you'll notice an enormous difference in actual volume, especially through a good cab, but the DT will compress as it gets louder much earlier than a 100w amp. Some people like that, others hate it. Best to get it loud and see how it feels under your fingers.

I'd lay off a mod, if you're not happy with it stock then it's just throwing good money after bad.

Hope this helps!

b80

I currently have a Dual Terror. It is my favorite amp I've played. It has been plenty loud in every situation. It gets over a drummer for rehearsals with plenty of clean headroom. I usually use the 7 watt mode for recording or gigs (mic'd up 100% of the time).

As for delay/reverb/modulation, the trick I employ is to run the master volume very high or maxed out and adjust the Gain knob to get the volume I need. This usually achieves a slight "edge of breakup" sound once things get cooking and will let any front end effects shine. It helps to have reverb or delay with a tone control if things get a bit bright. It does have two channels so if you crave the amp drive, you can switch to your 2nd channel and just shut off your other effects. Seems like a win to me.

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

Keep in mind that the terror circuit relies on post phase inverter master for a lot of its gain. A fx loop in that amp isn't going to make much of a difference unless you run the master wide open.

Not really a class a amp either but cathode biased el84s will feel a bit different then your black star.

Mezzamort

I have one for a year and I just modded the ot to MM and a choke ,It is excellent love it and will never let it go !!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom