Orange Goodness!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dylan Fagan, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Dylan Fagan

Dylan Fagan Member

So my friend's Orange OR80 has been over at my house for a few weeks and well, I can't get enough of this amp! It is beautiful, I can't get enough. So articulate, fat and full. Gosh, I think this is the first amp I've played where my Tele, Jazzmaster and 335 shined. That fact alone I believe is a testament to it's beauty.

So, what I'm saying is, I think I'm getting Orange fever.

The Rocker 30 head is looking pretty appealing, with it's EL34's run in Class A. Anyone here played it/owned it? Classic Orange sound? Also, where am I most likely to find the best price?

Thanks guys. :dude

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

It is a bummer that there is not much Orange Luv here. I myself am looking at 4 different units for sale. I am selling my booteek Savage in order to aquire one. I have heard the OR series amps and they sound spectacular! I have played some of the Rockerverb amps and have seen them used live in larger venues and I can tell you that they shine quite brightly. I recall going to a HIM show and one of the support bands, Program the Dead, I think, was using an Orange combo. He [guitarist] had the best tone of any of the bands that night. Stellar gear! M.E.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The new Orange amps are great, but have little in common w/ the original OR amps... I agree that the original designs are among the finest amps ever...

4. Dylan Fagan

Dylan Fagan Member

Thanks :), I was wondering that. I suppose I might as well wait until I can snag one of the real deal.

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Wayne, I'm not sure that's entirely true. Maybe it depends on what you consider "little". Adrian Emsely (Orange's cheif scientist) has indicated that the clean channel on the Rockerverb is intended to act pretty much like some of the early Orange circuits. Having gotten it up to 3:00 or 4:00 on a few occasions, I can tell you it does capture at least some of that feel. And I think the AD series definitely captures some of the vintage Orange amp feel too. But like I say...it depends on what you consier to be little in common.

6. Dylan Fagan

Dylan Fagan Member

Hey Leonc, your Rockerverb clips are fantastic! Great playing! I need to check one of these out too. Although It might be a different vibe than the OR80 sitting across from me saying "buy one of me" right now, it definitely has that Orange-y midrange.

Oh, the AD series look tempting with their affordability and options too, but I fear the 84's might lack big bass. Can anyone comment?

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, though I'm certainly not trying to get you interested in a Rockerverb if an OR80 is what really turned on. Gotta go with what works for you!

8. kannibul

kannibul Member

I have a cranked clean channel clip of my Rockerverb 100...

It's interesting, to say the least...

But, it's a crappy recording - since I had to move my mic as it was distorting...

http://members.cox.net/kannibul/media/rvcleancranked.wma

Here's my notes I posted on the Orange forum:

E609 mic only - I dimed the clean channel's volume, and had to move the mic to about 3ft away, so, it WILL sound quite different than the other clips.

Orange clips thread, on the Orange Forum :)
    http://www.orangeamps.com/forumtest/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3528

9. retro

retro Member

I am not an Orange expert but old enough to have played a few of the old OR's and I love the old Orange amps. I have yet to play the current versions. I would like to see if the same vibe is there. I assume it would be.
    In fact I should be able to play some today.
    My understanding is the OR80's that were called re-issues were made by Matamp. And of course at one time Orange and Matamp worked together.
    I have been looking at Matamps for some time now. There are several I am interested in. I was just about to buy a small combo but I decided on a couple of other Matamp heads, one being their 80 watt head.
    If you liked the OR80,like I do, Matamp may be worth checking out also.

http://www.matamp.co.uk/home.htm

As for Orange I thought these guys seemed like a good place to find one if there isn't anything around locally.
    http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orange.html

10. kannibul

kannibul Member

Orange (who was owned by Gibson) reissued some OR80's in the early 90's, that were built by Trace Elliot...

AFAIK, Matamp and Orange haven't worked together since the mid 70's.

11. retro

retro Member

Yeah it's a little funny I know but I have read in several places Matamp did contract work for Orange and was involved with making the Gibson era reissues. With Trace Elliot taking over after Matamp stopped.
    I've also read Matamp made an OTR as late as 2002.
    There are some more interesting stories with Matamp as well. I am actually trying to compile a letter to send to Matamp to ask about some of these things to get confirmation.
    The old OR tone of my ancient past is Orange/Matamp to me, so that's one reason I am looking at Matamp today.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Some of the Modern ones are cool. To me.

I had an AD15-12 THAT WAS A GREAT AMP.

I got to gasing for a Dr Z and sold the Orange for a considerable profit bought the Z and realised I had made a big mistake. I hated the Z and loved the Orange.

Gonna have to get another one of those at some point.