• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Orange-Matamp...clone?

soulohio

lads...who is making a clone or amp that sounds exactly like these original Matamp-Oranges:

This is the circuit I am after. Maybe I should contact Matamp? I would even alter my 1996 Orange OR120, but the trannies are different and it's better not to molest this amp.... and the particular characteristic is the Drive...it sounds different to me. The cleans are awesome as well. Very Plexi like but a bit different.
listen to this:

jojo

Isn't that basically an or 120 ? ( I can't watch the vid ) I would contact matamp and post this on the matamp forum and vintage amp for too.

soulohio

yes, basically that is an OR120 but the earliest Matamp-Orange amps had a different circuit. Notice the Hiwatt-like drive...dare I say a little Trainwreck-ish? I beieve the trannies may be Partridge...

n4p226r

Silver Supporting Member
i've played an Orange by Matamp at one of the NJ get togethers. Its one of the best sounding amps i've ever played or heard. definitely similar to later oranges but better in a way. i'd love to own that amp. maybe the owner will see this and post. i forgot his username or else i'd pm him the link.

soulohio

^^ exactly...similar but better. That's what I am looking for. Seems a bit more Ampeg to me, maybe Hiwatt...the drive is different. Also seems to sustain a bit better. A little sweeter.

redtoploader

FWIW, the circuit of the Matamps is different than ALL the orange 120's....old, new, whatever.

I would contact matamp.

soulohio

FWIW, the circuit of the Matamps is different than ALL the orange 120's....old, new, whatever.

I would contact matamp.
can you expand on this a bit? That is sorta like saying everything is different than everything else. What is the schematic difference between Matamp-Orange and Orange? Matamp is a brand unto itself and I would expect the old Matamps to be different than anything with an Orange badge.

soulohio

this was posted by Orange in December, 2009 on the Vintage Amps forum. See bold for particular Matamp-Orange info:

by orange on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:11 am

Vintage Orange amps are very cool! The new stuff is nothing like the vintage amps.... except maybe the rocker 30 in tone... otherwise the new stuff is kinda crapy...

The vintage Orange amps are very loud! they dirty up around 3 or 4 on the volume dial.... They sound best run through an attenuator to get some really cool overdrive!

There are 6 categories for Vintage Orange gear...I've owned most examples....

1. 1969-1973.... Orange/Matamp heads... white faceplate with Orange/Matamp written on the front: I have an Orange Matamp OR100 head, these amps have some great sparkling clean tones and some amazing overdrive... similar to a Marshall Plexi in overdrive but tighter in the bottom end and less spongy... Listen to the band Switchfoot and the song "stars" to get an idea of the Orange/Matamp tone... that rythm Guitar is an Orange/Matamp.

2. 1971-1973: Orange amps with a white faceplate... like the Orange/Matamp heads but with no "Matamp" on the faceplate.

3. 1971-1972: Pix Only Orange amps with a plexi face plate .... Most of these amps have a lay down transformer... They are similar to the Orange/Matamp head but a little more compressed in tone.

4. 1972-1973: Pix only heads with a metal faceplate some amps have small pix .... These amps can be the same as the plexi pix only heads with the lay down transformer or they can also be like the newer pix and text amps with stand up transformers and a slightly different circuit.

5.1973-1978 Pix and Text amps..... These are the easiest to find and sound quite good.... not as good as an Orange/Matamp head though...

6. 1979 : Series Two Orange heads.... New cosmetics such as big ugly plastic corners and new cab design (front loaded) for the 4x12 cabs

You will notice that the years overlap with some of these amps....I've seen old photo's of an Orange shop with the pix only heads and the white Orange/Matamp and Orange white face plate amps in the window! So these seem to have been around at the same time.

The post 1973 Orange amps are very easy to date using the serial number... The pre 1973 pix only heads and Orange/Matamp heads are a little trickier to date.. Some Orange/matamp amps have the date written on the chassis side... Or you can sometimes email Matamp and give your serial number and they can give you the build date. Otherwise is a bit of a guess..

Matamp made amps for Orange even after the parting of the two companies.... You can sometimes see a Matamp Made Orange up to 1977... You can tell its a Matamp made amp by the black transformers and hand written serial number on the later amps.

I've been collecting Orange amps for about 10 years now... Good luck...they are fun to collect because they are so hard to find!
You can never have too much gear.
orange
Squire

jojo

well, I'll thank you now but I have thought of Electric, but the clips I have heard don't sound like the old Matamp-Orange amps. I think I will contact them and see the price of a clone.
Killer amps, but over a year wait, no thanks. I'd call Matamp ( DON'T EMAIL ) and see what they have that comes close to that. They will build pretty much anything you want.

norska

Gold Supporting Member
I have owned many different era Matamps and Oranges. Unless you can get someone to put old partridges in there don't waste your time with a clone. Old tubes, speakers, and the trannies make ALL the difference in those things IMO. I have owned an old 69 like that and it was one of the greatest amps I have ever had. they sound massive!!

dorfmeister

send an email to Ben @ Verellen Amps (www.verellenamplifiers.com) he can custom build/clone any head and everything I've heard with his name sounds amazing. Awesome for all that loud, dirty, vintage stuff. Even his current model "Loucks" might interest you.
So is the Loucks based on an Orange/Matamp circuit?

Do you know where he takes his inspiration for his other amps?

I nearly ordered a Spaldo before the price increase at the end of July but I found that I did not have the coin to do it.

soulohio

I have owned many different era Matamps and Oranges. Unless you can get someone to put old partridges in there don't waste your time with a clone. Old tubes, speakers, and the trannies make ALL the difference in those things IMO. I have owned an old 69 like that and it was one of the greatest amps I have ever had. they sound massive!!
and this is really a major difference in those old first gen Matamp-Orange amps. I had a few PM conversations with TGP memberDana Olsen about these Partridge trannies... I am VERY interested in what these trannies will do in an old Matamp-Orange circuit.
If there are other schematic differences I have not discovered them yet.

Jason Myers

Hmm... I have an old Sound City PA head thats loaded with mustards and Partridges. May be a good conversion piece for a 50 watter.:D

redtoploader

can you expand on this a bit? That is sorta like saying everything is different than everything else. What is the schematic difference between Matamp-Orange and Orange? Matamp is a brand unto itself and I would expect the old Matamps to be different than anything with an Orange badge.
Wish I could give you specific schematic differences but I cant....I was mostly referring to the poster who thought they were basically or120's...and they are aren't really all that close IMO. But it sounds like you already know that.

I think there are PI differences and a differences in the drive circuit- but this was what a guy who owned one told me, so I dont know if thats gospel.

To me the Matamps/Matamp-Orange are different sounding, and i've owned about 4 oranges. You know how the Oranges can be kinda murky in the mids(IMO anyway)? The Matamp can dial that out, and be capable of much more than a standard Orange. Better punch, more hi-fi but sweeter at the same time.

And I really dont know if there is much of a difference between the straight up 'Matamp' labeled amps and the orange branded ones, if at all. I was of the understanding that Mathias helped get the company off the ground and made those first matamp-orange amps. Could be the same with different cosmetics?

Wish I could be of better help, I would like to know the specifics myself- and yeah, I would be willing to bet the Partridges are key to that sound. They are capable of that wider bandwidth.

Top Bottom