1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Orange OR120: School Me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wildshoetwt, May 23, 2011.

1. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

How versatile are they? They seem like they really are "THE" orange tone monsters, but I'm worried, that it'll just be too 1-dimensional.

• It's also been converted to PIX only specs, is this a legitimate mod, is it considered a good mod or one of those ehhhh mods?
    • The one I'm looking at has a Master Volume, how loud will it be for slight gainy tones though, I've heard they're monsters.
    • I know it can do classic rock well, but I'm worried that it doesn't have much to offer in the way of different tone, breakup, and general harmonics and sound than the classic ORANGE tone, which is great, but can get old.

2. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I have a '74 OR120 Overdrive(Master Volume model) and it's far from 1 dimensional...it can do it all...awesome cleans all the way up to fuzzy distortion and everything in between...one of the most versatile 1 channel amps ever made(IMO)...when you combine the EQ/FAC/hi & Low inputs/gain & master...there's a wealth of tones...the master volume works great...you can get all the gain you'd ever need at a pretty friendly volume...not bedroom level but it won't take your head off either...

3. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

couple questions

1) how loud do you consider pretty friendly volume, i'd say i play loud enough that i would definitely get kicked out of an apartment, loud enough that you can hear it throughout the house, stuff on walls rattling, glass cups buzzing, etc, but nothing rattling off walls, no real crazy volumes..yet :)

2) can you a/b the hi and low input and stomp on one for a gain boost or is the difference like most hi/low inputs, a bit brighter, bit more edge but no difference huge enough to use as rhythm vs lead

3) i've heard from some that with the FAC fully to the right, with the right presence and treble it can get quite jangly almost like a VOX is there any truth to this?

4) on the amp i am interested in, i see no impedance switch ,is this normal, whats the default impedance then for these amps?

4. melven62

melven62 Member

These things are awesome. Sounds huge, killer cleans and drive

5. soulohio

soulohio Member

I think flantrax mostly spelled it out for you. I have a 90's reissue OR120. I run it wide open...it is bone jangling loud but I like it like that....jaja

I don't think those mods hurt the amp one bit...by the way, can you respond to what those mods were?

I believe there is an impedence switch somewhere. I don't recall ever seeing an Orange without one...being made in England and all that. You should ask if the iron (transformers) have been replaced. If so, there might be an issue.

One thing that I think is the MOST important thing for the true vintage Orange character to shine through....get a good bottom with the right speakers. V30's are not the speakers. I would try Greenbacks or if you can find them- Fane type speakers. Don't be afraid to experiment but don't buy anything until you can test those speakers out with the Orange head.

You are never gonna play an OR120 in an apartment.

6. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

The amp can be described in one word... LOUD.

I did a few gigs with one back in the late 80's. Sounded great with two tubes pulled and a tube screamer in front. The thing was so loud, the soundman refused to mic me. I was able to drive the room from the stage... with a pair of Sylvania's 6CA7's. Those were the days. :)

Other thing I remember is that the plate voltage was very high on these. Cheap tubes won't last.

7. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

The old OR series amps are far more versatile than they get credit for. The baxendal tone stack let's you dial in a mid hump or a mid scoop as well as giving you some control over the bass and treble gain. The Fac knob is an underutilized and underappreciated feature. I wish more amps had it. At right, you get bug wooly low end, at left you get jangly chimy top end and several good settings in between. If the wattage doesn't bother you, I day go for it.

8. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

I had an OR120 bass head in the 70's. Bought it with a folded horn 1x18 Orange cab the size of a fridge! It was great for guitar (with a Marshall 4x12), keyboards, emergency foldback power, all sounding good. Ten years plus of road abuse, and it blew a pair of power tubes once. A classic.

9. flantrax

-The inpedance is switched by rotating a dial in back...you have to pull it out and re-position the pins(I think old Marshalls were like this as well)...I always keep mine at 16 ohms...seems to like that load...

10. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

Thanks guys, it's really down to the AD140 or the OR120

11. flantrax

I'd go with the OR120 OD all the way...the FAC is probably the coolest part of those amps and what makes the Oranges unique(IMO)

12. somedude

somedude Member

I've owned an AD140 and a OD120 style amp. The AD140 is more like an Orange flavored Plexi than a vintage Orange. It (the AD140) is also really flat and boring sounding in comparison. I think they were trying to make it tighter than an old Orange, and in doing so they stripped out a lot of the character that makes the vintage Orange sound so cool.

13. flantrax

I totally agree....

14. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

the orange forums told me that for the tones im looking for the or series is probably too aggressive and too in your face, and that the ad is smoother

which makes sense, because the tone i'm going for, the guy plays an ad140

15. soulohio

soulohio Member

When I was looking for le Orange amp, the soundclips I listened to of the AD140 sounded the most like an old Orange, although I have never played one and the posts on this thread indicate otherwise. I don't think an OR is too aggressive and not more aggressive than an AD140.....the lead tone of an OR can be a bit rude. AD140 can get really aggressive especially in the rhythm sound....I think the AD140 has smoother lead tones.
    I hooked up a 4x12 bottom loaded with Eminence Legends to both my OR120 and my Retro50 and was surprised at just how close they sounded.

16. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

In the 70's when they came out, we were in a store where they were "warming" up a 120 stack for a customer to try out. The amp had been left with the volume control full up and a guitar plugged in. As the amp came on line, it went into full feedback knocking the Les Paul off it's stand on to the floor. Be careful!

jdel77 likes this.
  17. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

yikes!

18. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

What???? I can't hear you!

19. somedude

somedude Member

The difference in "smoothness" boils down to the character of the preamp distortion.

The AD140 has a more modern, compressed and even sounding distortion. If you think of a sine wave, the peaks are valleys are symmetrical, so a sustained power chord will sound consistent.

The OD120 has a more old school, less compressed and less symmetrical sounding distortion. The peaks and valleys randomly vary so that a sustained power chord will sound similar yet different moment by moment.

This is why the AD140 can sound somewhat similar to an old Orange in recordings, yet kind of falls short when listened to by someone who's familiar with old school Orange tone. One has a very rich and interesting character to it's distortion, and the other is flat and kind of boring in comparison.

20. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

the clips i've listened to, even with the gain less than 1/3 of the way up, the or120 just sounds too distorted, i dont know what it is, i like what i've heard about the touch sensitivity of the amp, but i cant seem to find a demo of that, all i can find is people playing pure stoner doom or pure classic rock crunch, nobodys playing anything dynamic enough for me to justify a purchase of this 1 channel amp