Orange OR15 / Hayden Mofo 30

Frungi

Hi, I own a Hayden Mofo 30, which I love for it' s crunch and distortion. It will definitely stay.

I also own an Egnater Rebel 30 (1st series), which gives great clean tones.

Now I'm looking into an Orange OR15 to complement my Hayden. Anybody has compared these. Will the Orange give me another drive tone than the Hayden? I'm looking for a dark ballsy overdrive with lots of harmonics.

cal1024

I haven't tried your other amps, but I'd say the OR15 delivers really, really well in the dark, ballsy overdrive with lots of harmonics department.

jpage

I loved the OR15 at home, not so much when pushed to rock band levels. I wouldn't call it a 'dark' amp either--it behaves just like you'd expect a couple el84s to behave. I did think it sounded fantastic at 'rocking out at home' levels tho.

I liked the crunch much more than that Egnater--that was an amp I really didn't care for at all.

Frungi

Thanks for the replies.

I'm really gassing for the Orange as I dig the OR50 model in Amplitube. Will the OR15 have a similar voicing?

I'm just "afraid" that it will be too close to the Hayden, though.

cal1024

I'd agree that it started sounding a little fizzy when the volume was up high, but I did have a bridge humbucker on a Strat that always sounded too bright with my Marshall-style amp and was just right with the Orange. I think the Orange sound is a little darker than average. And that was also the first amp that got me over the stereotype thought that EL84s couldn't sound like they had balls. I kind of want to get another one to use with a PowerStation to see what it could sound like pushed with one of those.

I don't have a Mofo 30, but i do have Mofo 2 combo and I LOVE it. At one time I had the the Mighty Mofo combo as well, i miss it terribly. Never played through an all tube Orange, but had a micro terror at one time, and the tone control on that was really good, great range. I didn't think they sounded the same, but didn't totally bond with it.

By the way, anyone got a Mighty Mofo for sale?

Seth L

I haven't had my OR15 very long but I think they're real bargains. I can get a much better clean(ish) sound than I thought would be possible, and the crunch is incredible. Judicious use of the tone controls will get you into Marshall territory, or you can just savour the Orangy goodness. I haven't noticed any fizziness yet.

Slideman

I haven't had my OR15 very long but I think they're real bargains. I can get a much better clean(ish) sound than I thought would be possible, and the crunch is incredible. Judicious use of the tone controls will get you into Marshall territory, or you can just savour the Orangy goodness. I haven't noticed any fizziness yet.
Ditto...just got mine. A lot of versatility with very few knobs...and it's plug and play rock and roll. Just a great amp.

Seth L

Ditto...just got mine. A lot of versatility with very few knobs...and it's plug and play rock and roll. Just a great amp.
It's much more versatile than I thought it would be. This thing is a home run all the way. I bought some tubes so I could replace the JJ's that are in there, but right now I wouldn't change anything about it. It'll put a smile on your face.

grimlyflick

Main difference between the Orange and Hayden for me is when you back off the volume of the guitar the Hayden remains much more hi-fi sounding, whereas the Orange tone darkens but it keeps that natural compression across the notes, in a good way of course.

:aok

sg~guy

-my favorite ORANGE's are the ROCKER 30 & the DUAL DARK-(50 or 100w)-

-definatley try them out if your in the market for a ORANGE amp-

Frungi

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm hoping to get hold of a used one. If I should be successful I will let you know about how I perceive the differences.

Trending Topics