• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Orange OR15 Head

Bentayuk

Ive been watching videos on this amp, and its bloody impressive. I already have a Peavey 6505, that handles all my brutality. But I'm a British tone Marshall guy at heart, and would love something that has that raw crunch, but boosted can do Crowbar/Down doom, Converge noise, and Mastodon prog-metal.
Is the OR15 my amp or am i kidding myself, and i should just rehouse a Jim Root Terror?

darkinners

OR15 have A LOT of gains!

But if you after the sludge metal tone. within same wattage.I would go for Tiny Terror.

OR15 can do just fine but sound on the modern side.
Tiny Terror sound more true to the AD30 ish sludge/drone tone.(cranked)

Bentayuk

Wow, i was not expecting those answers! Im going to have to shoot out these amps soon!

Stormincloud

Still a little confused. Have the TT, love it, feels like vintage Brit tone, not into metal at all, like to keep it vintage-ish.. Like 60s rock and 90s Britpop. But the FX loop is a big appeal on the OR15, and the TT is so limited in that respect.
Some threads say OR15 is more modern sounding than the TT, some say not.
Worth upgrading? Or will I lose the tone (that I like) in the TT? Cheers.

jpage

The OR15 is much more modern sounding than the TT, yes. If you like the TT, keep it and get both--it sounds like it's worth more to you than the couple hundred bucks you'll get if you sell it.

Stormincloud

Cheers jpage. Cannot justify owning two orange amps, the missus won't have it (along with my vox, tubemeister, and pedalboard).
Would just love to be able to use my pedals after that sweet TT drive; no drive pedal comes close (and why should it? That's what Orange is all about). Anyways guess I'll try to ab them instore, but you never really get to let go and get the tubes warm in that environment.:stir

electricity17

I demo'd the Tiny Terror and OR15 back to back and the OR15 is the better amp. Richer tone, a broader range of sounds available, of the two it has an older sound to my ears (more mids or low mids, fuller than the Tiny Terror but still cuts through). It has a fair amount of gain available, you can definitely get density and crunch out of it but I think it's modeled on the Orange tones from the 70's more than the current offerings.

The other guitarist in my band bought this amp, we've been tracking with it for the last few months. When it comes to solos, I've been bringing in several germanium fuzz and boost pedals on my amp (an AC30), however we haven't used many pedals on his leads/solos. The OR15 is good at getting that dense overdrive needed for single note lines, the fuzz pedals have sounded like too much of a good thing, sort of congested. For a studio amp, I think this amp will be a great option.

Promit

I played the OR15 in store and it is a badass. But it is a one channel, one trick pony. And I imagine the bottom end will disappear in a mix. If that's okay, then go for it.

electricity17

Live at a gig, it's going to do basically one thing if it's got to compete with a drummer/full band. That one thing is awesome rock 'n' roll.

For recording, there are lots of options available, you don't have the same restriction of needing the amp's max output.

Stormincloud

Back to square one then, as electricity17's take is so different to jpage's. Just goes to show that one man's diarrhoea is another man's constipation as the great Chinese proverb goes.
Effects loop any good? Never tried a valve driven fx loop.
Going with cash in hand next week to ab the two and will report back.

Last edited:

Stormincloud

So got my OR15 and it is in a different league sonically to the TT IMO.
First of all, not sure where that 15watts comes from, feels louder to the TT and louder earlier. I would agree with Jpage, it is more 'modern' sounding to the TT overall in that the gain breaks up much quicker and goes way further but you can still set it to vintage, just takes a bit of tweaking and probably a smaller spectrum of vintage sounds (than the TT). Anyway, compared to the H&K Tubemeister 18, it IS a far more vintage sounding head (and clearer, ballsier & just plain more authentic).
Quite versatile sonically, with the EQ, unlike many amps, the three dials feel responsive and offer a pretty good range of sounds.
But it is a rock amp, the cleans feel nice but even at the lowest of gain settings they're already growling a bit.
Downsides? FX loop not doing it for me yet beyond reverb (if that's all you are putting through it, no worries); delays and chorus sound a bit muffled but could be my cables and and still early days, if anyone else has any opinions, would be good to hear. And a second channel would make this unbeatable.
Cannot recommend this head enough; orange is all about Tone. And this delivers in spades.

paper_soul

I am in the early stages of OR15 ownership, but I very much like it. I ordered low gain tubes from Doug putting a 7025 in it v2 among other things and I can get that very much desireable FREE type 70's OD....the drummer I gigged with this weekend is sound/recording guy and loved how articulate and clean the OD was -sustain & harmonics plus clear 7th chords.....So I have it very vintage....I also use a clean boost in front of the amp to get that little extra for some 80's hot-rodded jcm800 tones.....love this little guy....

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

dclxvi

OR15 have A LOT of gains!

But if you after the sludge metal tone. within same wattage.I would go for Tiny Terror.

OR15 can do just fine but sound on the modern side.
Tiny Terror sound more true to the AD30 ish sludge/drone tone.(cranked)
pretty sure you have that bass akwards dude.

OR15 with the gain at 12:30 - 3:00 is sludge central.

just gotta cook those cute 84s a little.

Stormincloud

I take it back re the FX loop. Turns out it was the cables.
Nothing but praise for this amp. Go buy one now. Unless your thing is shimmering cleans and nothing but.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom