Orange OR15H - can I remove the 12AT7 tube which powers the FX loop?

TJT79

Title says it all!

Live in S.America. My sister is bringing me an Orange OR15H. I am about to order a bunch of spare tubes.

I don't ever use effects. If the tube which powers the FX loop (12AT7) fails, do I still need to replace it? If I remove this tube would the amp still work?

Thanks for your help.
TJT

TJT79

Nobody?

Hopefully someone will chime in today as I need to get tubes ordered ASAP!

Cheers.

MmcGrouty

I don't think it will work. The same tube failed in my dark terror, and it had to be replaced. You can, however, put any 12ax7 in that spot, and it will be fine.

TJT79

Thanks. Does changing this tube have any effect on tone (without using FX loop)?

Last edited:

TJT79

Hi

Looking through old posts... this may be useful to somebody, so I'll post a follow-up.

-You CANNOT remove the tube which powers the FX loop. The amp will not make any noise at all.

-You CAN use a 12AX7 instead of the 12AT7, but it introduces noticeably more noise. I don't mean playing volume, I mean a little background buzz. Not terrible, but...

- I recommend using a 12AT7 as Orange specify.

- On another note, I've put a NOS Mullard CV4024 (12AT7) into V2 and it sounds great to lower the gain a bit and also increased clarity too. I play rhythm and this is a thick sounding amp, so I have to dial the mids back a lot and also raise the treble, otherwise it can sound a little mushy with my gear. The Mullard helped with this. I've heard that most 12AT7 don't sound great in V1 or V2 but I can't comment. I picked up 3 NOS Mullards on EBay for less that most brand new 12AT7s.

Cheers.

EDIT: all this NOT USING the FX loop. Tube still required.

Last edited: