• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Orange OR80 RI my first

AXEnGEAR4J

Owning many different vintage amps and a Marshall player for over 40 years I've never had and always wanted the opportunity to own an Orange. I picked up this OR80 reissue off ebay and the 4X12 beast of a cab on a local CL which kind of all happened unexpected as these models don't come around often. So far its been a nice new experience.
As much as I love chicken heads I need a couple of original knobs....

gldtp99

Nice amp !!!!
Here's my OR80:

Mine was a basket case when I first got it---- I used the most original type parts I could find, at the time, to get it into playing shape.
I hope yours is more orig than mine.
I've had two Orange 4x12's since I've owned this head---- I don't have any at the moment, however......................gldtp99

AXEnGEAR4J

Looks like a good job putting it back!

For some reason it doesn't seem like my HF drive is working properly as I don't hear a lot of change but maybe I'm wrong

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, that isn't right, it should make a BIG difference.

Is yours on of the limited edition, "correct" OR80 reissues, or one of the more Marshall like modern takes? The difference is mostly in the PI-the originals were cathodyne, the modern ones are long-tailed and much cleaner sounding. I'm guessing with only 2 preamp tubes, yours is the former, but I'm not positive...

AXEnGEAR4J

Yeah, that isn't right, it should make a BIG difference.

Is yours on of the limited edition, "correct" OR80 reissues, or one of the more Marshall like modern takes? The difference is mostly in the PI-the originals were cathodyne, the modern ones are long-tailed and much cleaner sounding. I'm guessing with only 2 preamp tubes, yours is the former, but I'm not positive...
All I know it's supposed to be a reissue, two preamp tubes. One thing this one is not clean, it breaks up quick and has crunch galore...
I haven't pulled the chassis out yet and need to.

Is there a serial number or date coded parts?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Check out the Orange forum for lots of help and support, and the Orange Amp Field Guide for s/n information! A look inside would help a lot telling what you've got!

AXEnGEAR4J

Check out the Orange forum for lots of help and support, and the Orange Amp Field Guide for s/n information! A look inside would help a lot telling what you've got!
I'm not finding much info either of those places and also not sure what to look for inside?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom