Orange pedal baby 100 question. Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guppie, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Guppie

Guppie Member

I'm looking for a new amp. I basically need a good pedal platform with a nice clean sound at gigging volume.
    I was looking at the Orange pedal baby 100 because they say it was designed for guitar players who depend on their pedalboard for their sound. But it doesn't mention anywhere if this means there should also need to be a preamp in front of it.
    How does it sound when all my pedals are bypassed? Does it need a preamp for clean sounds?

blackba likes this.
  2. Guppie

Guppie Member

Or is a clean boost pedal enough?

3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

You really want a ‘preamp’. I’d use something with power amp modelling myself as it’s a clean preamp and whilst a pedal etc ‘will’ work, it just won’t sound legit run this way. Great backup like that but it won’t have the warmth or feel without some form of power section involvement.

HX Stomp + the PB100 would be a great combo with a 212.

Guppie likes this.
  4. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

I have one and on its own it's pretty flat sounding. Not a knock on it, that's how it's designed. I don't treat it as a clean pedal platform cause regardless of the name, it really doesn't sound great with regular ods and fuzzes going into it. Fine in a pinch, but a preamp of some kind is really necessary to utilize it to its full potential imo. I got mine to run a Sunn Beta Lead/Bass preamp that I built into it and it sounds great. Super loud, no noise. Perfect. I'd imagine it'd be really good with modellers too. I'd think you'd at least want an amp in a box pedal of some sort up front to add some character. I saw Brant Bjork (Kyuss/Fu Manchu) gig with one using an always on Catalinbread DSL and it sounded RAD.