Orange PPC 212 or 412?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JoeG, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JoeG

JoeG Member

I´ve been thinking about getting a RV 50 Head! I tried it a couple of months ago with a 2x12 cab with Heritage G12H but wasn´t too impressed which I think was surprising after all good reviews I´ve seen . I suppose it could be just a bad speaker match (I´ve read that the RV with V30`s is the best match)? So now i giving it a new chance!
    If I buy a RV 50 - I don´t know if I would go for the 212 or 412 Orange cab. Is there a big difference in sound, volume and how they spread the sound? I will use it at our bands rehearsal and gigs at smaller clubs. So if you have any thoughts about this - please let me know!

Thanks!
    //J

2. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I own a RV50 Head and a PPC212 Orange cab and love it! I was able to try both the 412 & 212 before I bought and I felt the 212 (vintage 30's) sounded the better of the two. Besides, I have to setup my own equpment and haul it around so the 212 was the way to go.

3. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

i've had both and I thought the 4x12 was better on stage at sound dispersion, though they are both quite directional since both cabinets are sealed back. The 2x12 is notlight by any means, so if you are hoping to save your back you aren't going to doing it by much :)

4. RockDC

RockDC Member

Room in the trailer is all you are saving... the 4x12 sounds just as awesome as the 2x12. Both weigh a TON!!!

5. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

gotta agree. i had a 2x12 and it was a beast. 80lbs I believe. But it had the rumble and tone of a 4x12. Loud as hell too. I miss that cab everyday, but i don't think my neighbor does

6. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Nice cabs, both, but if you didn't like the amp with G12H's you might not like it any or much better with V30's. Try it first and even if it's iffy don't buy it.
    Plenty of amps I like others don't and vice versa. Plenty of amps to try.

7. magnus02

magnus02 Member

The 2x12 is about 60 lbs, not quite 80 but certainly not something you grab like a 1x12 but I've certainly never had any problem carrying it by myself. If you are looking for a used one I am looking to sell mine. No issues whatsoever it just doesnt match my black amp head very well so I am looking to get a cab that matches better.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

True, but I will add the G12H's did not sound good with this amp to me at all. I've tried both versions, 70th and Heritage, didn't like em.

I say get the 2x12 and put G12-65's in it or get the 4x12 and load it with Greenbacks. That is after you A/B the stock V30's and find out how much better the RV50 souds with 4 Greenbacks or the G12-65's. :)

9. JoeG

JoeG Member

Thanks for helpful advices...! Now I finally got a RV50 with a PPC412 which I think is the best match:D! Rehearsed with it some days ago with it and sounded just great. It´s certainly is a ROCK amp.
    I have A/B tested it with the PPC 212, a Marshall AX 4x12 with Greenbacks and a Marshall 1936 with 2 Heritage G12H 30:s.
    The PPC 212 was a little more "boxy" sounding than the PPC 412 wich also spread the sound much better. In fact it sounded really good everywhere in the room - in front of it and beside it. And the bottom end...Earthshaking;)!
    The AX cab with Greenbacks sounded good but lacked som bottom end and wasn´t as full sounding as the PPC 412.
    The G12H:s had a good bottom end but had an upper frequense that to my ears didn´t fit the RV50.

//J

10. soulohio

soulohio Member

I just got a PPC 2x12 for my Retro 50 and man are those speakers stiff!

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I'm telling you man, G12-65's are the way to go. They sound sooo much sweeter than V30's on clean and dirty tones.

12. baimun

baimun Member

Do you have your own roadie???

That should be the first question you ask yourself before even THINKING about the Orange 412. Even the EV Subs for my PA don't weigh as much as an Orange 4x12.... and they even have casters and a built in dolly handle in back.

13. soulohio

soulohio Member

I am so interested in these speakers...I just don't know if I shouldn't give the V30's some more time..I mean, Orange did spec the bottom with them and they are brand new...

14. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I love the stock V30s. They are a little stiff but really open up well. I believe they really sound amazing with the RV50