Orange R30 vs RV50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yannis, Mar 20, 2006.

1. yannis

yannis Member

Hi all.

First of all i would like to thank LeonC and Rollie for the very usefull information they provided me with respect to the Orange rockers.

Now, after having established that the Rocker/verb series is the ideal solution for home low volume use up to Gig volumes i am wondering the following.

The orange rocker 30 has the following.
    1. Costs 970$
    2. No Fx loop no reverb
    3. 3x ECC83
    4. No eq for clean channel
    5. Doesnt need rebiasing 2xel34 (class A???? more heat???)

The Rockerverb 50 has the following.
    1. Costs 1570$
    2. Has tube driven fx loop and reverb
    3. 4xECC83 (more gain stages)
    4. EQ for clean and EQ for drive channels.
    5. Needs rebiasing and can take either 4x6v6 or 2xel34 Class AB less heat?

I believe that both behave the same tonally and volume levels are more or less similar. So in one hand i got the R30 that has the advantage of NO-BIAS and the smaller price, and the RV50 that has the advantage of FX loop and Reverb and extra EQ.

Finally i wonder how they behave with my Fulltone Soulbender and HBE BigD, and how they will behave with delays etc in front of the amp.

I am wondering what one would do in my place. Obviously i ll try to play both before deciding, but since i ll have to search the country (UK) to find both of them side by side in the same shop, i would greatly appreciate your input.

Yannis

Tones i am after: Led Zeppelin, GnR, Sabbath, Cream, Doors, ZZtop, ACDC, Hendrix etc...

PS. I ve already read ALL threads concerning the Oranges here, and i ve spent significant reading time in the orange forum, and also talked to A.Emsley himself.

2. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Yes, more gain stages. I'm sure you read this in the review at the Orange web site:
    So, less preamp gain, more power section compression with the so-called "class A" el34's. If they are in cathode-bias they will be compressing more, and have a bit more honky mids, from my experience-- and for that reason they probably wouldn't have been clean and dynamic enough to handle the four-gain-stage preamp. ---->>Different amps.

I doubt that's entirely accurate. Significantly different preamps and power sections-- they CAN'T possible sound and feel the same if you stop and think about it. Somewhat similar perhaps, but not "the same".

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

The Rocker 30 excels WAY more at that classic, in your face Angus Young growl! AC/DC, Black Sabbath...totally. When I turned it up with a 4x12 cab (loaded with V30s), I was smiling ear to ear.

You'll enjoy the lower wattage of the 30 watts, and I don't think you'll miss the extra gain stage, reverb, and 6V6 drive found in the 50 watts. They are very different beasts. The Rocker 30 has a great bark...excels with Teles and Les Pauls alike. Truly a rock monster!

4. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

That makes total sense -- completely predictable from the design elements mentioned above. More power tube distortion classic crunch with the lower wattage output.

5. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Where? Just curious.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yeah, totally. I wasn't digging all the gain on tap with the 50. I just enjoyed the EL34 bark. A good thing to do with this amp (and many great amps), is to set the knobs to 12 o'clock and rock. Man, THAT'S classic rock!

:BEER

7. yannis

yannis Member

970$ is the price for an Orange Rocker 30 with tax in the UK and 1600$ for the Rockerverb50.

What worries me is the lack of fx loop and reverb on the R30. Will it be possible to use delay and other time based fx pedals with the R30 or the RV50 is essential for that?

So with respect to the gain stages of R30 and RV50, you reckon that the R30 is more suitable for 60s and 70s classic hard rock and blues rock like Zeppelin, ACDC, Doors, Cream, Sabbath?

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Yeah...and beyond. You'll have plenty of gain for this. It's not a super modern high-gainer. The 50 and 100 lend themselves towards being high gainers.

9. yannis

yannis Member

Ok good to know. What about the lack of fx loop and reverb?

Will i have problems using delay/chorus/flanger/reverb in front of the R30?

10. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

No more or less than any other amp.

The subject of efx placement has been discussed in many threads and is really a topic in and of itself.

For example:
    "Effects Loop vs. Front End"
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=132208

11. yannis

yannis Member

Ok thats good to know. Basically i want to be able to use reverb and delay at will, and this is the only thing that concerns me with the Rocker 30. As well as the use of EQ pedals, nothing more nothing less.

12. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

"Effects Loop vs. Front End"
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=132208

Selections:

READ THE REST OF THE THREAD and others on the topic-- lots of great info from very experienced players.

I know LeonC loves his RV 50 loop and uses it quite creatively.

13. yannis

yannis Member

Softpaw, Thanks a lot man for the link.

It seems to me that all the bands from 50s 60s and 70s used delays and other time based fx in front of their amps (no fx loops in a plexi or jtm or jmp) right?

So if i understand it correctly, a Rocker 30 is basically like a JMP50 or Plexi (not with respect to tone, but with respect to simplicity) right?

14. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

I jumped into this thread with just some basic info and general principles-- I don't want to suggest that I have any real experience with the R30 or RV50 other than reading comments, reviews, looking at the specs and listening to clips.

Having said that, it's clear that the R30 is more complex than any old school Marshall JMP50/Plexi etc. First off, it has two switchable channels. Second, it has a master volume. Third it has three stages of gain, compared to a Plexi's two stages. So it's more a stripped down master volume channel switcher than a straightahead Plexi style amp, as far as I can tell.

15. yannis

yannis Member

Ok here is the deal.

I tested the THD Flexi, Rockerverb 50 combo and Rocker 30 head. The clear winner by far was the Rockerverb 50 and i hope it performs the same in head form.

The Rocker 30 was a bit dodgy since the specific item had some issues with the gain pot (scratchy and erratic OD settings behaviour).

The bottom line is that the 50W was AS quiet as the 30W with even more gain and the reverb was to die for.

The THD Flexi was a big dissappointment for me, since at low volumes the gain was sufficient only for blues and blues-rock. I suspect that it needs to be cranked in order to get sufficiently dirty for hard rock