Orange Retro 50 &Custom shop 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BlueSkyy, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BlueSkyy

BlueSkyy Member

Any of you guys out there got a chance to play or own on these two I amps I highly covet. I

t seems to be a safe replacement or variation of recreation of Marshall JTM45 amps and I notice a lot of guys in 60's early 70's playing Orange amps that just sound so pure and crunchy in a tasteful way. I don't own either but trying to decide which vintage style amp I want to buy.

Check out videos from Free & Paul Kossoff and Iron Butterfly and modern players like Stephen Malkmus & Mary Timony from Wild Flag both playing with Jazzmasters! They all sound amazing!

2. BlueSkyy

BlueSkyy Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTqlHt0r1k

Iron Butterfly
    long video, but I picked up a lot of borrowed influences other players took from these guys! and I spotted an Orange amp in the back of the player with the Les Paul.

3. Titi1506

Titi1506 Member

GAS for a Custom Shop 50 too!

I'm waiting for the first clips after the NAMM…

4. natelux

natelux Member

I've got a Retro 50. It's definitely in the classic Orange vein (as opposed to modern Orange), with a snarly low-mid emphasis I just don't hear in Marshall amps. The gain is less tight and smooth than a Marshall, too. It has a very fuzzy rasp with loads of harmonics, especially if you push the bass and mids. These two features give it a unique tonal signature. And since you mention Jazzmasters, here I am playing one through the Retro! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nOVq7wCbUQ

If "that sound" appeals to you, there's no substitute.

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

My CS 50 is one amp that I wish I had not let go of.

7. BlueSkyy

BlueSkyy Member

Thanks for the clip man! Love the jazzmaster and Guiness! even have a resemblence to Stephen Malkmus!

8. Jblue

Jblue Member

totally looks like Malk at first glance! nice tone-- where did you have the dials set on your amp?

tomich likes this.