• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Orange Rockerverb 50 MK III

Guitarjon

Hey everyone!

I'm so excited! I got an Orange Rockerverb 50 MK III! I've wanted one forever, such a dream amp!

I started collecting the smaller Orange lunchbox amps a couple years ago. I really dig those small amps because they really have that true Orange tone. It's not a tone/sound that everybody can appreciate but I think once you're into it it's hard to let go :) So the Jim Root and OR15 are supposedly similar to the Rockerverb, heck, the Jim Root was marketed as basically being a mini-Rockerverb based on Jim Root's Orange. But I wanted one of the bigger Orange heads so I got the TH30H, which I really dig. It's a great amp, definitely a proper Orange. Still with EL84's in the power section but definitely powerful enough for many situations. Still I couldn't scratch that Rockerverb itch....

So I ordered one, finally and now I actually have one, which is almost hard to believe haha! It's quite a heavy amp and it's a little bigger than the TH30 surprisingly. The RV50 has a bit of a deeper chassis. I love how it looks with the hieroglyphics instead of the regular words. The old Orange logo looks cool although I personally prefer the slicker look of that modern logo, not a big deal though.

So it's a very sturdy head, it feels very well built. An interesting touch was the fact that all the controls are stepped! I thought it would make the amp less tweakable but in fact every control has plenty of steps. I think this can come in quite handy for recalling settings, which is basically why Ade included this feature.

The clean channel is very powerful with plenty of headroom but when you crank it you can get some nice overdrive. I don't know if this is pre or power amp distortion but it sounds cool! You have to crank it up very loud to get that break-up so that's when the attenuator comes in very handy! Love this feature on the amp. It's cool to be able to dial in the channel volumes and then turn them down again. Would be cool if every amp had this feature :)

The dirty channel is where the magic and mojo is at. The small Orange amps sound great but this thing really is on another level. The saturation sounds so thick, full and huge but the character of this channel still has enough midrange bite/cut. So it's not overly 'fluffy' like some of the other Orange amps. Just amazing how this sounds. Probably my dream tone right there!

The reverb is also quite nice although I don't often like to use amp reverb. It's a little subtle until you turn it up quite a bit.

Of course I had to make a little video to demonstrate some tones. I've got some high gain, crunch and clean tones here so you guys can hear how it sounds:

Coopdeville

I had a Rockerverb 30 I got back around 2009. I typically had favored fender amps, but the Orange really blew me away. I sold it last year as I currently live in a one bedroom condo with my wife and we recently had a baby- The amp was just too loud for the situation and it needed a player would would use it as it was intended. Depending on what the next housing situation looks like I would buy another Orange in a heartbeat

Guitarjon

I used an earlier version (no picture logos) for an outdoor gig. I liked it. :)
Awesome! Was it the MK I or MK II? I'm not sure what the differences are. I think the MK II's sound a little bit more Marshall-y? I could be wrong...

I had a Rockerverb 30 I got back around 2009. I typically had favored fender amps, but the Orange really blew me away. I sold it last year as I currently live in a one bedroom condo with my wife and we recently had a baby- The amp was just too loud for the situation and it needed a player would would use it as it was intended. Depending on what the next housing situation looks like I would buy another Orange in a heartbeat
Interesting! I didn't even know there used to be a 30w combo! Was that the MK I? How did it sound?

Coopdeville

Awesome! Was it the MK I or MK II? I'm not sure what the differences are. I think the MK II's sound a little bit more Marshall-y? I could be wrong...

Interesting! I didn't even know there used to be a 30w combo! Was that the MK I? How did it sound?
I think it was a Mk I... I don’t recall it saying anything after Rockerverb 30 to be honest.

Outside of being loud as hell (especially for a 30 watt), I loved the clean channel, really brought out some greats sounds on my tele and I thought it provided a great foundation for my pedals. Admittedly I never used the dirty channel too much, but it was fun to mess around with the crunch from time to time. I was playing small bars and house parties and never had a problem volume wise or getting lost in the mix. I’ve been looking at different tube amps for when I get a better place and although I’m checking out multiple brands I’m fairly certain I’m sticking with Orange. I know I can get the sound I want out of them effortlessly so why mess with a good thing?

Guitarjon

I think it was a Mk I... I don’t recall it saying anything after Rockerverb 30 to be honest.

Outside of being loud as hell (especially for a 30 watt), I loved the clean channel, really brought out some greats sounds on my tele and I thought it provided a great foundation for my pedals. Admittedly I never used the dirty channel too much, but it was fun to mess around with the crunch from time to time. I was playing small bars and house parties and never had a problem volume wise or getting lost in the mix. I’ve been looking at different tube amps for when I get a better place and although I’m checking out multiple brands I’m fairly certain I’m sticking with Orange. I know I can get the sound I want out of them effortlessly so why mess with a good thing?
Yes, the clean channels on all my Oranges are really nice. The overall frequency response of the cleans seems to be very even (plenty of mids, not too bright etc.) so that tends to work really well with pedals and/or single coil guitars.

The Rocker 30 is an entirely different amp than the Rockerverb. There was never a Rockerverb 30. Great video! I had an MKII RV50 as my main amp for years. I wouldn't mind owning one again, the MV on the MKIII seems interesting. Are all the knobs stepped, or is that only the attenuator? I didn't realize that the new RVs were stepped like that.

Guitarjon

The Rocker 30 is an entirely different amp than the Rockerverb. There was never a Rockerverb 30. Great video! I had an MKII RV50 as my main amp for years. I wouldn't mind owning one again, the MV on the MKIII seems interesting. Are all the knobs stepped, or is that only the attenuator? I didn't realize that the new RVs were stepped like that.
Yeah that's what I thought also? So maybe there wasn't a RV30 after all...
All the controls are indeed stepped but it works well, there's plenty of room to fine-tune imho.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Congrats on the MkIII, OP.

I’ve been gigging mine for about 2 years, primarily for grunge/90’s covers, but have also used it for classic-rock gigs. A ton of tones and versatility.

Have you dimed the clean channel and used the attentuator to reel it in, yet? :)

Yeah that's what I thought also? So maybe there wasn't a RV30 after all...
All the controls are indeed stepped but it works well, there's plenty of room to fine-tune imho.

I never understood why Orange called the Rockerverb 50/100 and and Rocker 30 so similarly. They are incredibly different. The RV50 has 2 gain stages on the clean channel, 4 on the dirty. The R30 1 and 3 respectively. The clean channel of the R30 doesn't get dirty from the preamp- but can be cranked for some very old school EL34 overdrive.
The R30 is very opened, uncompressed, and the dirty channel is very fuzzy sounding, and cuts through the mix superbly, and is pretty raw and aggressive sounding.
The Rockerverb is a lot more modern sounding, pretty compressed, and fills out the landscape a lot more in terms of of rhythm, though its compression at higher gain setting makes it behave in very different ways.

They're both such great amps. I have the RV50 MKI with the 6V6s power valves, and the R30. Both great and very different amps.

stargazer747

Btw, texting @stargazer747
I'm sorry bro, I still love my small lunchbox Oranges a lot but I'm now also playing through the big momma's!! haha
Yeah, so I’ve read...I forgive you, it’s not like you’re turning your back on our beloved Orange Amps. Just graduating to the upper classman. Well congratulations are in order for your new gear. Its definitely an iconic amp with classic Orange tone thundering out of it. I'd have one as well if I was gigging and needed heavy irons behind me but I’m just jamming once a month with my old neighborhood buddies, so there is really no need.

Guitarjon

Congrats on the MkIII, OP.

I’ve been gigging mine for about 2 years, primarily for grunge/90’s covers, but have also used it for classic-rock gigs. A ton of tones and versatility.

Have you dimed the clean channel and used the attentuator to reel it in, yet? :)
Cheers!! Yes, the clean channel dimed sounds great!! :)

I never understood why Orange called the Rockerverb 50/100 and and Rocker 30 so similarly. They are incredibly different. The RV50 has 2 gain stages on the clean channel, 4 on the dirty. The R30 1 and 3 respectively. The clean channel of the R30 doesn't get dirty from the preamp- but can be cranked for some very old school EL34 overdrive.
The R30 is very opened, uncompressed, and the dirty channel is very fuzzy sounding, and cuts through the mix superbly, and is pretty raw and aggressive sounding.
The Rockerverb is a lot more modern sounding, pretty compressed, and fills out the landscape a lot more in terms of of rhythm, though its compression at higher gain setting makes it behave in very different ways.

They're both such great amps. I have the RV50 MKI with the 6V6s power valves, and the R30. Both great and very different amps.
Yeah I get what you mean! I was just playing with my Rocker 15 Terror and it's just more soft sounding overall, great for rock but less good for metal, as you said. The natural channel on that amp is stellar too btw, man, so good for overdrive/distortion pedals!

A lot of people seem to love the RV amps with the 6V6's. I wonder what's it about those amps that poeple dig so much...

Yeah, so I’ve read...I forgive you, it’s not like you’re turning your back on our beloved Orange Amps. Just graduating to the upper classman. Well congratulations are in order for your new gear. Its definitely an iconic amp with classic Orange tone thundering out of it. I'd have one as well if I was gigging and needed heavy irons behind me but I’m just jamming once a month with my old neighborhood buddies, so there is really no need.
Haha, I was just teasing you in a hopefully harmless way :) Still love my little amps, in fact as I said, I was just jamming through my Rocker 15 Terror and enjoyed the heck out of it! Did you have the Jim Root Terror btw? It sounds pretty similar, especially on low levels.

DrRaoulDuke

Congrats! Awesome video and review as always. Would you put the distortion more in the "wide wall of sound" category like a recto or "narrow focussed" distortion like a Mark? Or is it more "marshally"?

Guitarjon

Congrats! Awesome video and review as always. Would you put the distortion more in the "wide wall of sound" category like a recto or "narrow focussed" distortion like a Mark? Or is it more "marshally"?
Good question! I would say it fits a bit more into the 'Wide wall of sound' category but it definitely has more mids than say a Rectifier. Orange amps still have a lot of mids so they fit well in the mix, just as Marshalls do but in a different way. Marshall amps tend to 'poke' more in the upper mids. Orange amps have a broader and wider sound with more saturation (in general because there are exceptions and deviations from both sides).

Coopdeville

I am mistaken, could have sworn it said Rockerverb 30 on the thing but it’s been awhile and a few beers since I had it. Today I learned haha

stargazer747

Cheers!! Yes, the clean channel dimed sounds great!! :)

Yeah I get what you mean! I was just playing with my Rocker 15 Terror and it's just more soft sounding overall, great for rock but less good for metal, as you said. The natural channel on that amp is stellar too btw, man, so good for overdrive/distortion pedals!

A lot of people seem to love the RV amps with the 6V6's. I wonder what's it about those amps that poeple dig so much...

Haha, I was just teasing you in a hopefully harmless way :) Still love my little amps, in fact as I said, I was just jamming through my Rocker 15 Terror and enjoyed the heck out of it! Did you have the Jim Root Terror btw? It sounds pretty similar, especially on low levels.
No doubt. I had the Jim Root but sold it not too long ago as well as the Brent Hinds, I've shrunk down my gear collection a bit this year to just 3 rigs; small, medium, and large. I still have my Rocker 15 Terror, Dark Terror, and lil monster Micro Dark Terror.

twotone

I don't know. The amp looked fairly new and I played the gig about ten years ago. It sounded Marshally to me.

Trust me, the R30 is far more aggressive than the RV50 MKI.

The R30 is a raw, punchy, balls to the wall rock amp - pretty edgy fuzzy character too, it will ace heavy stoner tones superbly.
By comparison, the RV50 MKI with the 6V6s is smoother, more modern but also more polite.

You might want to experiment with one down the line, they're a bargain 2nd hand for what they are.

Trending Topics