Orange Rockerverb 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalitis, Feb 12, 2008.

1. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

hey guys need some advice. recently got myself an Orange Rockerverb50 head. all psyched up and stuff. plugged in the guitar and omg what a clean tone. stepped on the footswitch and i was getting this flat sounding slightly hissy in the background breaking up kinda tone. not at all like how its been described. could it be my cab? im running it through a Marshall 2X12 fitted with V30's. a cab is a cab right? would it make a difference if i was running it through another cab with v30's??.
    another thing is, i havnt found an od pedal that goes well with the Rocker50. the ocd ver 2 is pretty nice but.... still something missing after spending that sort of cash. any advice?

2. bluntage

bluntage Member

First, plug directly into the amp with no footswitches hooked up (guitar-cord-amp) and select the dirty channel via the front panel toggle. Does this give you the same response?

Also, make sure the footswitch is properly hooked up (channel jack, pushed all the way in at the amp and the footswitch... cords easily pull out of the footswitch jack if pulled upon). In addition, I'd make sure the cab is plugged into the proper speaker input for its ohmage (8 ohm for an 8 ohm cab, etc).

In all likelyhood, this could be a tube problem, particularly if the tubes are the factory EHXs... they are known to have issues as of late.

At the very least, this should get you started with the troubleshooting, however you may just wish to take it back and have the dealer fix/replace it.

3. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

thats the problem. we dont really have a dealer where im from. and the so-called dealer doesnt bring in the rocker 50. i got mine shipped in. yeah its in the proper speaker output. hmm.. im just wondering if its suppose to sound like this in the first place.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Yep. Guitar>Amp. No pedals, no amp footswitche, nothing. Then diagnose. Buy used? First thing I would do though....is put a fresh set of good tubes in (preamp and power) and bias properly.

5. jamison162

No. If you aren't inspired then sounds like something is amiss. But how do youknow you like that amp? Sounds like you bought without trying it out first :nono.

6. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

tried the rocker30's and a friend of mines too . so i got it but.... its not as amazing as how i remembered and i cant compare to cause well, my friends left the country

7. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

thinking of giving it a go with another cab. any suggesstions what speakers and cab would go well with this baby?

8. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

Orange PPC212!!!

But, before you do that. Get a new 12AX7 and replace one tube at a time in the preamp section. I suspect you have something wrong. If the clean sounds good, I would be fairly willing to ignore the power amp tubes for now. Make sure the amp is off when you pull the tubes and be careful in there.

The clean and distorted channels do sound different on this amp but not in a good/bad way....only different.

9. jamison162

Fender Deluxe Reverb meets what a Marshall JCM800 wished it would have been! :dude

10. freaksho

freaksho Member

i had one of these for a while. it's definitely dark sounding on the gain channel. does it really sound like something is wrong or do you just not like it's voicing? what tones are you going for? what amp did you have before this? (it's definitely not a Marshall if that's what you were hoping for.) either way, it's best not to judge til you get a handle on the tubes like others said, especially if you got it used. replace at least the power tubes and the first stage preamp tube for each channel. darker preamp tubes like JJ's do not work well in this, imo.

11. jamison162

Everyone says the Oranges are dark but I do not find that to be the case. Thick with lots of organic and raunchy mids yes, but still plenty of brightness. It's a very well balanced amp I must say.

12. soulohio

soulohio Member

some peoples are addikted to vitamin M and the vitamin C makes them crap.

13. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

Hehe...I think I actually understood this one. :rotflmao

14. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

thanks guys. i will replace the tubes and try with a different cab soon. theres this high breaking up tone in the higher gain setting. i dont get this when im playing at a home lower volume though. only when i crank up the volume a little higher . then the cab starts to have tht cracky sound. but thanks alot guys . will update on the outcome.,

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

well, "dark" is definitely relative of course. no one is saying it's the "darkest", as i'm sure there are more mumbly sounding circuits out there. but compared to the typical Marshall tones (say JCM800, Super Lead, etc.) it's a statement of fact, don't you agree? and that's what most tend to use as the benchmark so i think it's a fair description.

not lookin to start a fight, tho. :)

16. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have a Rockerverb 50 and I love it! The distortion channel is killer so either yours is malfunctioning or there's some kind of user error going on.

17. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

i noticed that when i go distortion with pedal on the clean channel, i also get tht hissy sound. tried the Rat2 modded. and an OCD and a custom SD9

18. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Maybe you just need to break in the speakers.

19. jamison162

I thought I had a similar issue when I first got mine. I was listening too close...I got over it.

Seriously, could be the PI or Power Tubes. Or FX or Reverb for that matter. Heck, it could be any of them at this point. That's why my initial response was to retube everything and bias it up fresh, then go from there.

Lots of help over at The Orange Amps Forum in the Technical Section also.