• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Orange Rockeverb 50

Messages
1,678
Who here owns or has played the Rockerverb 50? I'm very curious about this amp. I know it has 4 6v6's. I'm very much used to using EL84 30 watt amps into 2x12 cabs. Will I be able to get that big 3D open sound on the clean channel of the Rockerverb 50? How does that amp compare to something like a /13 FTR-37?

Any thoughts on this amp would be great. I've been looking around trying to find one for sale, so if you know of any good places to call, let me know that too.
 
Messages
1,678
yeah, I'm really used to the Bad Cat Black Cat 30r 2x12 combo, but I'm wanting something with the same great clean sound, but more gain. I tried the Hot Cat 30r and it didn't do it for me. I hate El34's,I love EL84's, but I'm not opposed to trying a 6v6 amp.

My guitar style is similar to David Gilmour, Mike Campbell, but I like to bust out some heavy stuff now and then. We play everything from alt. country to White Zombie to 80's new wave in just one set! So, versatility is the key.
 
Messages
2,182
there's a rockerverb for a good price in the emporium right now, and gearpager LeonC has both the ftr37 and rockerverb 50. He loves both of them.
 
Messages
1,678
I don't have the Black Cat 30r anymore. I do love the clean on those amps though.

I've used 30w EL84 amps for years and years and pretty much only used Bad Cat & Matchless. Just want to try something else for a while.

I'm just wondering about the sound of the Rockerverb 50 and how people may compare it to the Black Cat 30r or DC-30.
 

jumpchamp

Member
Messages
354
my bandmate uses the rockerverb 50 through an orange 2x12 with a V30 and greenback. it's a fantastic amp, capable of all sorts of good stuff on the gain channel. i think the clean is fantastic, and definitely has a depth and openness that you can feel, even at low to moderate volumes.

i personally LOVE it with a tele, sounds really cool with an LP as well. as far as comparing to el84 types, i use a carmen ghia and they sound great next to each other. my take is that the RV is a bit of a deeper sound, maybe not quite as upfront and quick on the attack like the CG. it can get really aggressive if you want it to, or can be mellow and laid back.

we actually used the studio's DC-30 and the Orange when we recorded some tracks a while back. they sound great mixed together, different enough to know they are different, but not so far apart that they don't make sense on stage next to each other, if you know what i mean.
 
Messages
1,678
cool, that sounds like it might be up my alley. If I buy the Rocker 50 and didn't like it, I could always sell it and get a AD-30, which I know I like.

BTW, I'll be using my '98 Am. Deluxe Tele with the Rocker50. The only electric I've used in the past 3 years or so!
 
Messages
2,182
i personally like the rocker 30 a lot more than the rockerverb 50 i heard. When i had my single channel Ad30, i was looking for another amp to a/b ... at one of the shops, i a/b'd my ad30 with all the orange handwired amps and the rockerverbs. None of them even got close to sounding as good as my ad30. About a week later, the rocker 30 head came out ... the clean sounded a lot better and the overdrive was a bit brighter, it was more in the middle of the ad30 and the rockerverb, but did it very well.

All of the amps sound great at the end of the day.
 
Messages
1,678
Doesn't the Rocker 30 use El34's? I've never played a EL34 amp I've liked at all, so that would make me nervous buying one of those.
 

Calloway

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,684
Rockerverb 50 is awesome. I had never really played Oranges before, but then my local store got one in and I just loved it, amazing amp. Sounded great with a Les Paul, but i definately liked it with a Tele also.
 

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
18,082
I've got a 37 and the Rockerverb 50 and have yakked about both of them many times here. Very different amps, even though they're both 6v6 based. It goes to show you how very little power tubes often have with an amp's sound.

The Orange has one of the biggest, loudest cleans I've heard. It can inflict physical pain. While it is a very warm clean sound and really enables your guitar's personality to shine through, it is not as harmonically rich or as responsive as the 37's clean sound. But the 37 doesn't have nearly as much clean headroom. It starts breaking up much sooner.

The OD sounds are quite dissimilar too. The 37's sound is very smooth, pretty refined, but still extremely aggressive. It is also one of the most touch-responsive amps I've played. The Rockerverb is notably more aggressive, not as vintagey sounding, not nearly as responsive (doesn't clean up as well) as the 37. They both have excellent low end and more of a low-mid emphasis than most amps. The Orange's low-end is even a bit tighter/more-focused than the 37s. The Orange's OD is more fierce/brutal/snarlly. It is not refined sounding or very smooth IMO. But I mean this in a good way...it's a toothy, aggressive sound and it's something I think of as uniquely Orange.

These amps don't sound a lot like many classic, cathode-biased EL84 amps. The 37 can get a wee bit of that Voxy chime...but it's much more Fender-like. The Orange has its own unique kind of sparkly quality...I love it.

I prefer the Orange's reverb to about any spring reverb I've heard, besides Brunos (which is awesome as far as spring-reverb goes). The Rockerverb's loop is excellent and its master vol is even better and very, very useful.

They're both great--but very different--amps.
 
Messages
1,678
i'm just not sure if this is the amp for me or not. I wish I could try one out. I'm afraid it won't have the 3D big sound, like my Black Cat did. (I don't have that Bad Cat anymore). I've heard some sound clips of the gain channel and it sounds really good.

Another thing is the Orange 2x12 cabinet is closed back. I've only had one closed back cab (mesa recto 2x12 cab) and didn't like it.

There was a 2x12 Bogner Metropolis on eBay last night for $1800 with a road case. Now, I wish I had bought it, as it probably would've been more up my alley. I hate decisions!
 

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
20,505
Originally posted by Leonc
I've got a 37 and the Rockerverb 50 and have yakked about both of them many times here. Very different amps, even though they're both 6v6 based. It goes to show you how very little power tubes often have with an amp's sound.

The Orange has one of the biggest, loudest cleans I've heard. It can inflict physical pain. While it is a very warm clean sound and really enables your guitar's personality to shine through, it is not as harmonically rich or as responsive as the 37's clean sound. But the 37 doesn't have nearly as much clean headroom. It starts breaking up much sooner.

The OD sounds are quite dissimilar too. The 37's sound is very smooth, pretty refined, but still extremely aggressive. It is also one of the most touch-responsive amps I've played. The Rockerverb is notably more aggressive, not as vintagey sounding, not nearly as responsive (doesn't clean up as well) as the 37. They both have excellent low end and more of a low-mid emphasis than most amps. The Orange's low-end is even a bit tighter/more-focused than the 37s. The Orange's OD is more fierce/brutal/snarlly. It is not refined sounding or very smooth IMO. But I mean this in a good way...it's a toothy, aggressive sound and it's something I think of as uniquely Orange.

These amps don't sound a lot like many classic, cathode-biased EL84 amps. The 37 can get a wee bit of that Voxy chime...but it's much more Fender-like. The Orange has its own unique kind of sparkly quality...I love it.

I prefer the Orange's reverb to about any spring reverb I've heard, besides Brunos (which is awesome as far as spring-reverb goes). The Rockerverb's loop is excellent and its master vol is even better and very, very useful.

They're both great--but very different--amps.
Hey Leon,
I am used to touchy, responsive, feely amps. Do you think I may be dissapointed if I am looking for those type of qualities in an Orange? M.E.
 
Messages
2,182
Originally posted by agentcooper2001
i'm just not sure if this is the amp for me or not. I wish I could try one out. I'm afraid it won't have the 3D big sound, like my Black Cat did. (I don't have that Bad Cat anymore). I've heard some sound clips of the gain channel and it sounds really good.

Another thing is the Orange 2x12 cabinet is closed back. I've only had one closed back cab (mesa recto 2x12 cab) and didn't like it.

There was a 2x12 Bogner Metropolis on eBay last night for $1800 with a road case. Now, I wish I had bought it, as it probably would've been more up my alley. I hate decisions!
i couldn't get along with the orange cab AT ALL. i could never hear myself on stage, it was horrible. The metropolis souded good when i played it, but it only had a few good lower gain tones. I didn't like it much.
 
Messages
1,678
Originally posted by curehardy
i couldn't get along with the orange cab AT ALL. i could never hear myself on stage, it was horrible. The metropolis souded good when i played it, but it only had a few good lower gain tones. I didn't like it much.
Did you play the 30w 2x12 Metropolis combo?
 

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
18,082
Originally posted by michael.e
Hey Leon,
I am used to touchy, responsive, feely amps. Do you think I may be dissapointed if I am looking for those type of qualities in an Orange? M.E.
Yes, I do, to some extent. But FWIW, I'm used to highly responsive amps too--all my other amps are more touch-sensitive. And still I'm able to really REALLY enjoy my Rockerverb; but that's certainly no guarantee that you would. I think it's the nature of how the amps clip; I noticed this in the Orange AD series too, but it's more pronounced the more gain you use (and the RVs definitely have more gain). Sooo...you know the drill - Try before you buy...or buy used and wait for a deal that will enable you to get your money out if you don't dig it.
 

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
6,966
Why am I getting Orange GAS reading this thread? :D

Judging by the many clips I've heard, the Rockerverb sounds like a sweet ass amp.
 




Trending Topics

Top