Orange RV50 or Marshall VM 50w?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JoeG, Feb 3, 2008.

1. JoeG

JoeG Member

Hi everone!

I´m looking for an amp (head) from which I could get a good fat 70`s rock sound with a les paul. Which one would you prefer of a Rockerverb 50 or a Vintage Modern 50? Or maybe something else? I know there are lots of great boutique amps out there but they are really hard to find where I live! So if you have any comments about this, please let me know!

Thank!
    //J

2. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

i was looking for the same thing as you and just went for the rv50.
    the marshall has a very loose bottom end. lot´s of flub. the orange is much tighter and has more gain on tap, more features and a fantastic master volume that allows you to get good sound at all volume levels.
    the clean channel was better to me too. and gets a more loose "vintage" bottom end if you crank it and let the power tubes do the work.

i wasn´t able to dial in a decent tone at lower than band levels from the vm. i heard clips of it that i liked but everyone had some booster working ior other pedals. the rockerverb does not need a pedal to sound good imho.
    the only thing i dislike with the orange is that it does not clean up as well as the marshall using the guitars volume pot.

i bought the orange used so it was about the same as the vm. i play mostly rock, blues rock, things from the late 60´s to 70´s.

the orange also seems to have some reliability issues with it´s reverb not working. mine has and was just shipped to orange for warrenty service. if you buy used make sure all features work fine. other than that it´s a great sounding amp. i like it better than my marshall 50w silver jubilee.

all imho as usual! :dude

3. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I'd go Orange. I prefer the tone to Marshall's in general...but I haven't play the VM so I should really comment specifically about that amp.

I will agree that the master volumes on the Orange Rocker/verb series are incredible. If you need low volume tones EVER, they work great. I think the reverb issue was for a short period of time. Can't recall when exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was solved in a fairly short amount of time.

4. somedude

somedude Member

They had some problems with the RV50s a few years ago, but it seems to be cleared up based on lack of problem posts on the Orange forum.

Anyway, I've owned three modern Oranges (R30, AD30, and AD140) and I third the excellent master volume.

5. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

If it were me it would be the RV 50 without a single doubt. The gain channel is the best I've heard in a long time, super creamy and inspiring.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

RV50 Owner here. Love it with G12-65's...ditch the V30's. Can't wait to plug this thing into a 4x12 with Greenbacks.

Les Pauls and Strats sound excellent. Personally, I can't wait to hear a good tele and a semi-hollow through this thing.

7. JoeG

JoeG Member

Thanks for your opinions!
    There´s no doubt which amp you would choose:)!

BTW ...how do you think a 2x12 cab with two G12H Heritage would match a RV 50 Head?

//J

8. jamison162

Open or closed back? I've tried the G12H 70th Ann. and the Heritage G12H, not to mention the Tone Tubby Ceramic and I didn't care for any of those with the RV50. I do, however, really dig the 65 watt Scumback H75 which is a vintage G12H30 clone.

9. JoeG

JoeG Member

It´s a closed back Marshall 1936!

//J

10. coxswain

coxswain Member

Orange= Better Clean

Orange= Better reverb

Orange = More gain and an emphasis on the lower mids

Orange= Smoother and easier to play

Marshall= emphasis on the upper mids

Marshall= nails 60s bluesbreaker tones

Marshall= more open sounding

With this said, I think it depends on the music you play. What do you play?

Chase

11. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I had an RV50 for a few months and sold it like an idiot to fund a Bogner Ecstasy, which I wasn't too crazy about. The Orange is one of the few amps I've tried or bought and sold over the years that I regret selling. The cleans are very nice, reverb a little weak though (not why you buy an Orange anyway), and the gain channel is like your favorite chunky peanut butter -- smooth and crunchy at the same time. Very balanced across the spectrum. Nice tight lows, sweet highs, and the midrange is just right for cutting through a band. Damn, I need another one.

12. JoeG

JoeG Member

That was clearly explained:AOK!

My band plays some own material but mostly rock covers from the 70th:s like Aerosmith, ZZ Top, ACDC, Queen and others...
    I´m not trying to copy anyones sound but a good fat hardrock tone, not to gainy, and with good string separation would be nice.

Radagacuca,
    You said the the RV50 doesn´t clean up so well when turning down the vol pot on the guitar. Does it also loose clearity and get "dull"?

//J

13. jamison162

Does for me! I think this is 99% dependant on your pickups, pots and caps.

14. somedude

somedude Member

I had a Rocker 30 and it would cover that territory pretty good. Drawback being that it doesn't have reverb or an effects loop if that's important to you.

15. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

i would say yes to a certain degree. if you have a lot of gain (say 2-3 o clock) dialed in for a nice lead tone and roll back the volume on the guitar theres still a lot of gain left, until it gets too quiet (band rehearsal) for a good clean or "hairy"-clean rhythm tone , imho.
    but as it´s a 2 channel amp you could just hit the footswitch and have a your clean tone. fwiw, the 2553 loses more gain but less volume when you work the guitars volume pot, so it allows you to go from fat leads to hairy cleans without channel switching. to me, at least the 2553 marshall wins this category in comparison to the orange, but all else goes to orange.
    please keep in mind that i only spent about 20minutes alone in the shops amp room with the vm, so my experience is somewhat limited. but i initially liked the orange better.

:JAM
    i tested the vm with a gibson les paul standard. i only played my es339 through the orange yet. i will see how the p90 guitars work as soon as i get it back from service.

16. JoeG

JoeG Member

Ok, I see what you mean! Thanks for good info :BEER!

//J

17. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Actually,the Rocker 30 might come close to splitting the difference between the two. It's got a Marshallesque character to the dirty channel,but still got the Orange thing going on,particularly on the 'natural' channel.:dude I think it would be an excellent choice,unless you've got to have reverb and a loop.

18. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Try the new Thunderverb 50. Awesome for a non-botek amp.

19. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

They''re both pretty nice sounding amps. At lower volumes, there's no contest though- the RV sounds much better to me if you can't get the Marshall into it's sweet spot.

20. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

I'd say neither.... Orange Rockerverb is terrific, MUCH better than MV, no comparison, but I think it is overpriced.

I'd strong recommend you take a look at Budda Superdrive Series, I think it is better than Rockerverb (that's personal, I'm sure there are people who'd disagree) and lower wattage versions are much cheaper. Budda Superdrive 45 is cheaper than a Rockerverb I think.