Orange TH30 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Slartibartfarst, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Slartibartfarst

Slartibartfarst Member

I've just bought an Orange TH30 head and an Orange 1X12 cabinet to go with it. I know there's a great amp in there but at the moment I'm having some trouble finding it so I'd REALLY appreciate some help.

When I tried the amp, it was through a Marshall 4X12 with Celestion G12T-75 speakers. It was super thick and quite dark. Organic but a bit flubby in the bottom end. The 4X12 was then switched to just 2 speakers and that improved things, though it still wasn't perfect. When I got home and tried it with the Orange 1X12 with a Vintage 30 speaker I was amazed at the difference. Now the amp seemed tight, bright, dry, raw, aggressive and fizzy. I could get by with the rhythms but leads have no body and no fluidity. Complete opposite to when it was through the Marshall.

The sound I'm after is a smooth distortion but with a bit of an edge to it so it's not too polite. The bottom end should be full/fat and very articulate with a top end that is smooth, fluid and creamy. If I were to pick three guitarists whose tone I love it would be Jake E. Lee, Gary Moore and Carlos Santana. I have a couple of ideas on how to achieve that tone a bit better with this amp so I wondered if people with experience of this amp or these alterations could offer some advice.

Valves

I wondered if changing preamp valves would help to smooth out the distortion and take away some of the fizz. I wondered if moving to lower output valves would help, like the JJ 5751 or maybe even lower. I have virtually no experience of valves so I am a little unsure.

Speaker

I realise that a 1X12 will make things brighter while a 4X12 brings out more bass so as I only use a 1X12, it seems to me that the Vintage 30 is probably too bright by itself so I need something that is better suited to the tones I'm after. I've been looking at WGS speakers and the three that have attracted my interesty most of all are the ET65, HM75 and Liberator 80. I've NEVER bought a new speaker before so I'm really in the dark here.

Other than those two ideas, if anyone has any settings or pedal suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Any help anybody could give me would be very welcome.

Thanks

2. Slartibartfarst

Slartibartfarst Member

Does nobody have any insights on the Orange TH30, valves or WGS speakers?

3. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I've got a combo version and I run Tungsol's in every position. Clean side, I've got the eq all but off. Seems to work better with the dirty channel that way. Dirty channel gain at about 11:00, volume about 2:00, and the tone about 9:00. I've mostly used Fenders until this thing came into my life. Sumbitch just roars. Wampler Euphoria and a BB preamp for pedals.

4. fitterhappier

fitterhappier Member

I had a TH30 for about a year. I initially had it running with a V30 in a closed-back 1x12, but eventually moved to 2 1x12 cabs, one with a WGS Vet 30 and one with a Reaper HP. Honestly, I think I preferred the V30, but that's probably just due to the style of music I play - I need that aggression that the V30 brings out.

Here's a brief clip of the TH30 with the Reaper HP. It definitely smoothed things out, but maybe a little too smooth for me. Definitely brought the low end though.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/fitterhappier/orangeinvader2[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I agree 100% with Seth on the volume - the TH30 sounds puny at low volumes, but is a world destroyer as soon as you pass 10:00 on the volume knob. Probably why I sold it - it did not jive with little kids in the house =(