Orange TH30 / TH100.....Eq Settings ?

kc_hubbs

I have 2 Orange TH100 heads ran into 2 Orange 4x12 cabinets.

Ever since I got these heads, I only used them for heavier tones. Pretty much using the over drive channel all the time. Id roll back the volume to get a "clean" sound.

I play 90s rock with some people ever so often and I usually use a Fender Twin Reverb for it, but i wanted to try the TH100's clean channel with a good distortion. However, i found that when i turn the clean channel up, it gets so bassy that it sounds the speakers are having a hard time handling it. To get a good clean sound I had to turn the Bass knob to around 1.5, and the treble to around 1 to compensate for the low bass.

I wanted to get a clean sound similar to something Nirvana would use. Is it normal to use the eq that low ?

I know the Orange cabs are a lot darker sounding that any of my other cabs.

Can anyone else share their EQ settings and what style of music you play with it ?

Seth L

I've got a TH30 and used it for a long time with the bass and treble turned all the way down. I've got them turned up just slightly right at the moment. Sounds pretty awesome to me, and matches up with the dirty side pretty well. I actually use my dirty channel as my clean(ish) channel and crank the clean channel up to about noon or so for some dirt.
I think the circuit actually voices the amp and the eq is there for a little latitude. I also use the volume and tone controls on my guitar quite a bit.

Last edited:

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
With the TH series, you really do have to break from what you might expect when it comes to EQ settings. I think the TH30 had the best cleans in the entire Orange line (YMMV). But to get it, you may want to experiment with some out of the ordinary EQ settings.

With my TH30c, I always used an EQ pedal in the loop. This worked well with the clean channel, to add some high end sparkle. With the right settings, you can get very close to AC30 tone. But this was with the 1x12 combo, so it could be more difficult with the head and a closed back cab.

Seth L

With the TH series, you really do have to break from what you might expect when it comes to EQ settings. I think the TH30 had the best cleans in the entire Orange line (YMMV). But to get it, you may want to experiment with some out of the ordinary EQ settings.
The TH30 is probably my favorite amp I've ever owned. It will do so many things. You just have to trust your ears and not knob positions.

kc_hubbs

The TH30 is probably my favorite amp I've ever owned. It will do so many things. You just have to trust your ears and not knob positions.
Thats what I was trying to tell myself, How could it be bad if it sounded good to me.

Speaking of running a EQ in the effects loop, can you recommend a good one ? I had a GE-7, but i sold it before i used it on the Orange head.

Trending Topics