orange TH30 vs OR15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by geddyentwistle, Feb 11, 2014.

1. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

i tried the TH30 months ago, loved it

now I see the OR15, and want it

anyone have these?? thoughts? reliability issues??

2. ScottySevins

ScottySevins Member

I want both those amps too buddy, however if you can afford it, I'd recommend the th30 for sure. The lack of a designated clean channel kills the or15 for me. Although I would still buy a 15 too if given the opportunity.

3. dclxvi

dclxvi Member

4. sg7964

sg7964 Member

My OR15 rocks, TH30 tone is much different. I would try both and while you're at it, try the Dual Terror- you might like the tone better than the TH30. All my Oranges have been reliable, no problems.

5. Cussion

Cussion Member

I love my OR15. Been giging and rehearsing with it, through different types of cabinets/speakers, and it certainly has never let me down. If it would be able to mod for more volume/headroom and less gain, I would be extremely satisfied. I really don't need more gain than the classic '70s rock stuff. If I wanna push something further I just use a booster. But, the amp is perfect volume-wise for most of the gigs that I do. I can get a really punchy drive sound without being thrown off the stage.

I also liked the AD30/AD30TC, Rocker 30, Tiny Terror and TH30. All of which I've tried in the past, but never owned.

6. rotlung

rotlung Member

I love almost all Orange amps... but not the TH30. The gain is way too modern and fizzy, harsh sounding especially with single coils. I like Oranges other modern sounding amps, like the RV and TV. The OR15 is very similar to a Rockerverb rather than an OR series. That would be my personal preference between the two, but the TH30 is going to do cleans much better and have more headroom, obviously. I personally prefer the Tiny Terror/Dual Terror to both though. Both the TH30 and OR15 have too much gain. I play modern rock, indie, grunge, punk blah blah and use far more gain than most around here, using single coils, and both of those amps have too much for me, which results in a poor range if usable sounds in the gain dial. So does my Rockerverb actually, but I've learned to deal with it. The TT/DT has the most perfect range of gain from any amp I've ever played. It stays decently clean until 10:00, gets a little crunchy then gets decent rock distortion around 2:00, to modern rock at 3:00, and past that does the cool fuzziness Oranges are popular for. The gain knob doesn't take too long to bring up the volume to a usable amount when the master is dimed, if that makes sense. On many Orange amps the first quarter turn can be unusably quiet when using the gain as volume.

7. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

Much love for the OR15, amazing little head for the $$$$! Through a Marshall greenback 4x12 is the sound of classic rock, wish they would do a 30/15 watt version exactly like it with EL34's....

8. SlaveUnit

SlaveUnit Member

That's exactly what Id love to see...except 2 el34s would be about 50 watts.

9. Cussion

Cussion Member

They have the OR50 with two EL34s