Orange Thunderverb 200: Good for anything besides metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brown Rug, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Brown Rug

Brown Rug Member

I'm in the market for a nice mid-gain amp these days, and while a Marshall JCM 800 seems like my kind of amp, the Thunderverb 200 intrigues me. I stayed away from them because heavy metal fans seemed to gravitate towards it for its gobs of gain. However, my biggest influences are The Gaslight Anthem and Jimmy Eat World, and curiously they both used Thunderverb 200's at one point.

Anyone here use their Thunderverb 200s or 50s for anything besides metal? What has been your experience? And is it worth a shot for someone who doesn't need gobs of gain?

2. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

actually has less gain on tap than a Rockerverb,

I use my TV50 for all sorts of stuff, hardly any metal. I find it great for anything needing a modern voicing. and channel A can still do a lot of vintage stuff reasonably well.

we play a lot of "grunge" and "classic rock" and it works well for all of them. anything I REALLY need a vintage (60s) voicing for I do use my AD30 for.

VERY flexible, very interesting amp, IMO. the 200 is just face-melting too.

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

that doesn't even have that much distortion on tap.

It's a sludgy doom amp. Not a high gain metal amp at all.

4. Mudder

Mudder Member

Actually, a lot of country guys like these because of the super loud clean headroom.

5. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

It can be sludgy, but it is mucg more flexible than that. I
    t van do a huge range of tones. Channel A is actually the place for high-gain work, imo, not B