Orange Tiny terror question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonecontrol, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tonecontrol

tonecontrol Supporting Member

well, I bought an Orange tiny terror 1-12 combo and plan to use it for gig back up at smaller club dates and such, my main smaller club combo is a Fryette Memphis combo 1-12 my question, how do the tiny terrors hold up at club volume? I plan to try and squeeze clean out of it, I use pedals for dirt, again it`s only back up, I bought it through Hello music online at a great price and from past transactions there will be a wait to recieve it...I`m just wondering what to expect, Thanks

2. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I think it will be more than fine at clubs. This morning I was running it just at 7 watts with the volume maxed and it was LOUD!

When I was playing clubs, I would use a Mesa Dual Rectifier at 50 watts but I couldn't get the volume past 3 to get those tubes cooking.

3. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I haven't used mine in a club but I have used it for more than one gig level band rehersals and I never get the volume past noon on the 15 watt setting. It's a loud little sob :)

4. Miles

Miles Member

Volume should be good. No way 15watts is going to be overpowered by a drum kit. So, in any situation, you're at or slightly above the drum set - you're good.

I run mine at 7 watts mostly for loud rock originals playing mic'd and unmic'd gigs. I've bumped it to 15 watts once for a really bad dive bar with no PA for guitars. Had more than enough volume and got compliments on my rich "cranked amp" tone.

That's the magic of these low watters. They have loud TONE without the overly loud VOLUME. Yet they have enough to cut most gigs.

I'd say your TT combo is a wise investment for a backup.

5. hktk

hktk Member

I'm running a Vox Night Train for a range of settings as my main amp now. While its not a TT it is rather similar.

My theory is that is its not miced then the venue is too small to need it. I have play some larger venues un miced and it held its own. I think you will be more than fine with the TT for club settings.

6. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

Preface, I've owned a TT for about 6 years and gig it quite a bit and bring it as a back up to every gig.

The TT is loud but clean is going to be your issue. How clean do you need it? What kind of cleans are you going to need?

Also, the TT doesn't really play nice with a ton of dirt pedals either. I can't stand any TS variant with it. With that said, play around with it and check out it's dirty side too. There's a reason all of my dirt pedals stay home when I gig with it.

Killer amp if you like that 70's blues rock to early hard rock tones.

7. Custom50

Custom50 Member

i have found that, for me, this amp sounds best run flat out and using the guitar to control the volume. the band i play with is pretty loud and this amp has just enough volume to gig with. no clean sound to be had though. haha

8. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

You know those classic Marshall Plexi's didn't have clean sounds either but they were still killer!

9. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I agree with the first part but the part about pedals I do not find to be true in the slightest. I LOVE my TT with tube screamer variants. Of course it all depends on what guitars\speakers, etc. you are using.

10. Luke V

Luke V Member

I've done tons of bars and outdoor gigs with a TT over the last 4 years. It's a very gig worthy amp.

I totally disagree about it not taking to dirt pedals. I use a Keeley modded ts9 as my main dirt pedal and it sounds great. G2D Creamtone really kicks butt with it too.

As you can see this is a huge stage and outdoors. I was running ayt 7 watts.

[​IMG]

11. Custom50

Custom50 Member

i'm with you. I do not need a clean sound for this band.

12. Onioner

Onioner Member

Nothing against the TT, but using it as a clean platform seems the pinnacle of ridiculousness.

13. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

See my sig - I run two 15 watts (TT and NT) over a 2x12 and sometimes a 4x12 depending on the venue and use the TT exclusively set to dirty. More than happy with this and I also use a TS variant with boost (T Rex Moller) to drive it even more. It plays quite nicely with the crunch box set to mild gain.

14. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

You have to use the amp's gain. Put it on a light OD setting, use a clean boost for saturated distortion, and play fingerstyle or roll back the volume knob on your guitar for cleans.

The amp is not designed to stay clean at high volumes.

15. Thinline_slim

That's exactly where the TT amp excels for what I do. I've played a number of gigs with nothing but a Tele Thinline, the TT and a Xotic EP Booster and I love it. Also, I've found my favorite speaker combination is two Ramrods (broken in). To me that setup just kills and I don't really like 10" speakers personally.

As for the TS variants, what I don't like about the TT and TS pedals is that the TT is already very heavy in the mids and TSs boost heavily in the mids as well. Great for BF Fenders, which kind of have a natural scoop but for me it just ends up sounding like way too much mids on an Orange. Throw in some V30s (like shanesiegle stated speakers make a very big difference. Huge point) and it get's ridiculous.With that said, there are absolutely no rules, of course, when if comes to gear. If the TT and a TS get's you the sound you love then that's fantastic! And that's all that really matters.

16. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

Nice to see someone else who feels that tele thinline+TT+EP Booster=:rockin

17. Thinline_slim

Wow, I didn't catch that in your sig. Killer combination IMO.

I like the cut of your jib.

18. tonecontrol

tonecontrol Supporting Member

thanks guys for the input, according to tracking I will see it Monday...let the testing begin!!