Orange Tiny Terror vs. Marshall 2061x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by katarzis, Feb 28, 2008.

1. katarzis

katarzis Member

looks pretty same to me...
    opinions? experience?

2. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

The Orange kills it. The Marshall is a toy ( Boy oh boy I'll bet I piss off the Marshal lover's with that one! he he )

All kidding aside...I like the Orange because the crunch and sustain for 500 is outstanding. If you put that amp over a 2 x 12 with Vintage 30's you will get a fire breathing Classic Rock beast. Think ZZ Top, AC/DC, Led Zep. I had one and loved it. I'll buy another someday. Had to sell to help pay for the Egnatyer Amp building seminar ( financially challenged at that time)

Great value

3. katarzis

katarzis Member

check out my youtube page... i have it with the Orange cab :).
    i wanted to hear a comparison of the 2. thanks :).

4. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I tried both..at the same time...side by side. I bought the Orange. It simply sounded 10x better. Musical. The Marshall sounded thin..like a OD pedal.

5. Weathered

Weathered Member

It depends on what you are looking for. The TT is a thicker sounding amp, and the cascaded gain stages impart more gain. The Marshall is designed to be run almost wide open, and has much more bite when wound up. At low volumes, they sound relatively anemic, but that's not where the magic is.

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Another way to put it: The TT is designed to overdrive and crunch from the word go. The Marshall actually has some clean headroom before it grows hair, then roars.

Figure out what your needs are.

=K

7. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

I have built both very recently and it's like comparing apples and cinder blocks. The stock Tiny Terror is a one-trick pony, but it does it very well. It's '78-'84 Van Halen IMO. I like it a lot (actually I like my improved version a lot more). The 2061X is a little more versatile but doesn't really do the high-gain thing that well. But it is capable of glorious tones. It really depends on the player - if one really suits you, the other won't likely turn your crank. Bringing the 2061X to a buddies whose style suits it, I have to say WOW. But it doesn't sound great playing "For the Love of God".
    As as aside, I am just wiring up yet another Tiny Terror type amp, but with EL34's so it ain't gonna be so tiny.
    My personal fave in an EL84 amp is my take on a Matchless Spitfire. Start with the stock circuit, add a liftable tonestack before the phase inverter and lose the master volume. Then add a second input which goes through an added 12AX7 in front of the amp for high gain sounds - that would be the high input, the stock input bypasses the new stage and that would be the low input.

8. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I'd like to see the schem and layout of your improved Tiny Terror. I own a TT, but have been thinking of building one too.

9. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I actually owned a 2061x and sold it after a month maybe. I was very unimpressed with the tone of it. It was more of a one trick pony then I think the TT is.

Even after jumping the channels to get a fuller sound, I think the 2061x was a huge disappointment. It didn't take pedals very well and it sounded very flat.

10. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

thread revival? more thoughts?

11. johan

johan Member

+ try the 2061 with split cathode on power tubes. My 2061 had this from the start and it's a great amp. Supposed to be more plexi/jtm45 and not as anemic as some put it.

12. koss59

koss59 Member

If you want rock tones in your bedroom, buy the TT. If you are a gigging musician wanting Marshall tones with no bells and whistles, buy the 2061x.
    The 2061x is one of the best amps I've played but it needs to be run flat out and that is loud! Here's some clips of me using my 2061x http://www.youtube.com/koss59
    I have played a TT a few times and can definatly see why it works better for some people, espeically at lower volumes.

13. johan

johan Member

Great tone and playing Koss! Love that tone!
    Is that a stock Marshall 2061x? What cab/speakers?

14. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    After the first couple posts, I had to look to make sure I wasn't on Harmony Central :cry:

The 2061X is an old school amp. It's the bare bones foundation of tone, just like it's big brother the 100W superlead. None of this sissy preamp gain needed, it's all power tube driven! It is loud and dynamic with enough clean headroom to play some nice tasty clean passages or to play on the edge, dig in and get those power tube over driving. Power tube distortion is where the quality tone of a good amp comes from, and the 2061X delivers. This amp forces you to play well, because it is dynamic enough to not hide your sloppy playing.

The Tiny Terror is a cool little amp too, but has almost no headroom and it's all about gain.

Gain
    Gain
    Gain.

Really. too much gain! After the pre is past about 12 oclock, forget it! :cry: Dialed in within reason, it's a good sounding amp, but not in the same league as the Marshall. You can play sloppy with the Tiny Terror and it's all so compressed that it really doesn't matter ... it still sounds good... that may be good for some players :dunno It's a great bedroom amp if you want a ton of overdrive without cracking the plaster on the walls.

I own both and this is a really lopsided comparison...... talk about apples to oranges ...... :messedup

The Marshall btw can be easily modded to add a bunch more gain, yet retain the headroom. It's a cascading preamp mod and it turns the amp into a Tiny Terror up on top, if that's your thing..... the Best of Both Worlds kind of thing !! :drool

15. koss59

koss59 Member

Thanks very much! The amp is stock yes, I haven't messed with anything yet as it sounds so good! The cab on all those clips is a mojotone oversized 2-12 with heritage g12h30's. I normally run it through a Marshall handwired 4-12 with 2 g12h30's and 2 g12m20's....that sounds even better.
    Here's some bad qaulity clips of my band on Saturday night at playing to 1000 seat hall. Not bad for a 20 watt "toy".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCfZ0bOjOI

Bush likes this.
  16. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

sounds great!! are you running your guitar straight into the amp?

I was actually thinking about getting the 2061x and running it semi-clean for edge of breakup tones and relying on pedals for more gain/distortion.

but I also usually run a bit of delay with my sound, so without an effects loop, I wonder if the 2061x would work with a delay pedal going into it.

17. koss59

koss59 Member

Thanks! I use a Klon to push just that bit further as it's missing the extra gain stage that the 50 and 100 watters have. Having said that it could easily do most stuff without the pedal. Just bought a sunface too but not had chance to try it on a gig yet.
    I'm not sure about delay as I don't bother with it anymore, I just cant seem to get it to work for me as im not using pedals for my distorted tones.

18. johan

johan Member

koss59 - if it's working for you, don't fix it....but split cathode on the power tubes gives the amp a nice twist. it becomes more jtm45/plexi like. A lot of people like this mod and it's easy to do. Just if you want to see what it can do.

19. koss59

koss59 Member

Thanks, I'll look into it even though I think it's great at the moment. What does the split cathode do exactly? Is it reversable?

20. johan

johan Member