Orange Tiny Terror with Celestion Blue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Lo, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Member

I've been playing my TT (7/15 watts) through an Avatar 1x12 (semi-open back). With a Celestion Vintage 30, the sound is too bright (upper mid spike) with some of my guitars. With a Celestion G12H30, the sound is smoother.

I've heard great things about the Celestion Blue but wonder how it would sound in my cab and with the Tiny Terror (cranked!).

2. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I too would like to know how the blue sounds.

Dr. Lo, I play my TT through a closed-back 1x12 amp loaded with a V30, and its one of the darkest sounds I've ever heard. Yes the V30 has an upper mid-spike, but the TT has this lower midrange thing going, so I think its the perfect combo with orange amps IMO.

Try the TT through a closed-back cab loaded with a V30, you might be pleasantly surprised.

3. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Member

eksfiles:

I tend to play my TT with a lot of saturation (gain knob usually at 3:00) and sometimes at 2:00 with a treble booster that boosts the upper mids, which may also explain why I think the V30 is too bright sounding.

4. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Absolutely why you're experiencing brightness!
    Try keeping the tone knob no higher then noon on the TT. Play like that for a while, and you'll notice the beauty of the Orange sound. Another important thing is to keep the volume turned up at least to 2-3 o'clock.

I too hate piercing treble, but the TT is one dark amp. It should sound dark and thick with almost any speaker. A Celestion Blue has a nice focused top end, smoother then a Vintage 30, but Orange specifically uses Vintage 30's for their cabs, and for good reason. They match up perfectly!

FWIW, I don't think the TT takes on pedals too well. Its plug and play. The only effect I tried was a delay/reverb. But those effects don't alter tone.

Try playing without the treble booster, and enjoy the darkness and midrange of the TT.

Where are you from? I'm Canadian too.

5. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

The only pedal I found that actually killed with the TT was a Zvex super duper 2 in 1 and it just killed. Must be the top end sparkle with the Dark TT. I used mone with a Scholtz sounded good guy over at the Hamerfanclub swears by one with a Blue.