Orange TT - can ANYONE explain why MIK is better than MIC?

Gasp100

Supporting Member
Okay, I understand with some guitars that MIK is usuall preferred over similar models made in Malaysia, China, etc... (although I don't know what the real basis for that is) and of course MIJ is usually considered more attractive than MIK. But, the Orange Tiny Terror, Really???
I've had 2 people pass on mine which is priced really well because they are under the assumption MIK beats MI China. Can ANYONE actually come up with any proof that there is any difference whatsover? I'm not convinced (or bitter... it's going to sell for sure). Just seems odd, it's a pretty simple design right? Here are recent TT ads on TGP:

"It is the more desirable made in korea mode"
"Made in Korea (not China)"

fyler

well, ignoring any differences there may be in build quality, there are the socio-economic/political/human rights aspects of buying chinese made products to consider....but we're not allowed to talk about that sort of thing here.

farlowhigh

Silver Supporting Member
I would imagine the differences to be minimal at best...there is a small issue, I think, of how they configured the standby switch. The MIK version has the standby in between off and on and the MIC might have it between the 7 and 15 watt setting...is that right? I have the MIK version myself and I remember someone posting about the apparent differences in the two versions...

JGP

I don't know if there is a difference, but my MIK model has the standby switch between the 7 and 15 watt settings. I'm guessing it was a running change to prevent power level changes w/out going into standby first.

Gasp100

Supporting Member
My understanding was MIK = standby between on/off
MIC = standby between 15/7 watts
So you are saying your's is definitely a MIK and has the standby between 15/7 like mine?
:jo

hongsta

Little known fact ...

MIK is also powered by special "kimchee" tubes which can be bias way hotter beyond standard EL84 specs :roll

North Korean ones are more violent sounding than South ...

BTw, I'm Korean so I'm allowed to make comments like these :moon

Miles

owned and gigged both types, no difference to my ears. It's a bunch of hot air created by posters and not players. Not meaning to have a go, but I wish topics like this would die.

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
hell, these days, the chinese stuff is usually better in general than the korean stuff while still being cheaper. when comparing equal price points, the china gear usually blows korean gear away.

:rotflmao
Little known fact ...

MIK is also powered by special "kimchee" tubes which can be bias way hotter beyond standard EL84 specs :roll

North Korean ones are more violent sounding than South ...

BTw, I'm Korean so I'm allowed to make comments like these :moon

I hope Gene doesn't get wind of this...he would think you are a self-loathing Korean and want you to get some counseling. :rotflmao:YinYang

Gasp100

Supporting Member
owned and gigged both types, no difference to my ears. It's a bunch of hot air created by posters and not players. Not meaning to have a go, but I wish topics like this would die.
Much appreciated. I guess this post was a means to an end so I have somewhere to point people with questions and concerns about MIK vs. MIC when it comes to the TT. Playing/gigging experience with both versions means a lot. Thanks!
BTW - the TT ROCKS imho... I would never be selling this little guy if I didn't stumble upon another great deal on another great amp that pushed me over my expenditure limit.

JGP

My understanding was MIK = standby between on/off
MIC = standby between 15/7 watts
So you are saying your's is definitely a MIK and has the standby between 15/7 like mine?
:jo
Definitely, Bought new last summer. MIK w/ standby between 15/7 watt

:)

XKnight

This is TGP. We argue about variations in tone on practically identical pedals made by the same manufacturer, so it should come as no surprise that some will consider MIK better than MIC. Personally, once it's no longer made in the U.S.A it makes no difference to me.

Trending Topics