Orange TT vs Blackheart Handsome Devil

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BPSUL, Feb 27, 2009.

1. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Is there anyone who has played both these amps?

They are both 15/7.5 watt switchable amps. The blackheart has more controls - I would assume the Orange has more gain...

The main difference seems to be price point - used prices probably put the TT about 150 more than the Handsome Devil. Can anyone who has played either or both of these amps compare the two?

For someone looking for a budget 15 watt head - I've zeroed in on these two. I play classic rock, hard rock (gnr, AIC) and blues (but always overdriven dirty blues) in other words, I never play clean. Even my clean is still kinda dirty.

2. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

3. xXMojoXx

xXMojoXx Member

subriscribing to this thread, so: free bump :D

4. Orren

Orren Member

5. bouteqtive

bouteqtive Member

judging by your description of your style, the orange TT is clearly the better option. I've played the Handsome Devil and although I loved its OD tone, it really excelled at clean and edge-of-clean tones. The TT is known for a straight ahead rock tone, so you'd probably be best off with that thing. Although the Handsome Devil is a pretty awesome rock amp and takes pedals well. Good luck!

6. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

i've played both, more of the orange than the blackheart. the orange has a really nice full and fat sounding tone (very "3d" sounding). the blackheart isn't as tonally rich, but still a nice sounding amp. i've never bought either because they lack in the versatility department.

try a randall rm20. you'll be happier.

7. eurotrashed

eurotrashed Member

I own a Tiny Terror and played a Blackheart Handsome Devil with bitmo mod.

Tiny Terror has quiet a bit more gain, even with bitmo mod.

I paid $400 for my Tiny Terror with JJ tubes, I have seen them get close to the $350 range if you are lucky.

Corners were cut on the Blackheart with the transformers, while the Orange is top notch.

Blackheart is better for blues, but the Orange screams rock and roll

8. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Hold out for the Vox Night Train, its like the TT in concept but has a few additional features, specifically a bright/fat switch which goes from AC style cleans to TT style distortion.

9. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

Foot-switchable boost, FX loop, recording out... on top of the module system, which is killer. Every other single-channel amplifier out there is a one-trick pony when compared to this one.

[​IMG]

10. Clapton is God

Clapton is God Supporting Member

Is the TT gigable? It should be pretty loud, right?

11. VanR

VanR Senior Member

That Randall looks interesting, but it's like $699 and that doesn't include the preamp module which are like another $209 . Too much $$$$ for a 20 watt amp IMO.

edit: let's face it my TT just smokes. No other way around it. Although I have been thinking of replacing one of my 2 TT's with some other small 15-20 amp just to have something that sounds different in stereo with the TT.

12. eurotrashed

eurotrashed Member

I have yet to crank my TT at my house.

Its really freaking loud for how small it is. Easily giggable for a small bar

13. smoss469

smoss469 Member

I've heard Orange amps don't take a lot of pedals well. One thing I like about my Blackheart is that it LOVES pedals. I don't think I've ran across one yet that it didn't like. Of course, I don't have a LOT of pedals, about 15 or so, but it works for me.

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

If only they'd include a module for the price :drool

15. afterburner

afterburner Member

16. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Member

:agree

17. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

I ABed the two when I bought my Blackheart. The Orange has next to no headroom (IMHO) - I love my Blackheart.