orange vs peavey help me choose (results in post #53)

which one... peavey vs orange

• Orange Rocker 15 Terror (Head)

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Peavey 6505 20w (mini head)

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
i play mostly classic to hard rock. occasionally 80s - 2000s metal like metallica, tool, AIC. not “extreme” metal. garage rock like Jet and the strokes. occasional blues too

selling the mesa mk iv, its too much amp and i desire simplicity. i picked these two as they both have 1 watt and 10+ watt settings for home playing with baby on way as well as ability to jam with friends.

will run through closed back 2x12

own lots of pedals so clean needs to be at least serviceable.

which one?

guitarman3001

Both would work well but each one has its strengths. The Orange will have a better clean tone and will work great for classic rock. The Peavey's crunch channel will also be great for classic rock and its high gain channel will work better for metal than the Orange. Although since you have a lot of pedals, you can probably get the Orange to do metal if you stick a dirt/overdrive in front of it to tighten it up.

Orange amps aren't known for a tight low end so for tones that need that tight low, you'll want a pedal for it. The Peavey isn't known for a great clean tone.

Like I said, each one has its advantages.

TP Parter

What about a Rectoverb 25? 2 channels that cover your criteria well. I'm also one of those guys who prefers a well implemented master volume to most built in power reduction options. They all seem to change an amp's inherent character. Whether they make it squishier/more elastic, or thinner, I would generally rather just find the right balance of master vol and gain/boost/OD to cop the tone I need. As has been said many times, even 1 tube watt can be louder than apartment friendly in some cases.

i play mostly classic to hard rock. occasionally 80s - 2000s metal like metallica, tool, AIC. not “extreme” metal. garage rock like Jet and the strokes. occasional blues too

selling the mesa mk iv, its too much amp and i desire simplicity. i picked these two as they both have 1 watt and 10+ watt settings for home playing with baby on way as well as ability to jam with friends.

will run through closed back 2x12

own lots of pedals so clean needs to be at least serviceable.

which one?
The Rocker natural channel is not very serviceable using a bridge humbucker in my experience. The clean on a 6505 leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of a one size fit all, have you considered keeping the Mk IV for jamming and then having a home amp? Plenty of great little combos out there for home practice that won't break the bank. They will probably sound just as good as a 15/20watt amp power scaled down to 1/2 watts too.

Edit: I have a kid and just run my AD30 or Rocker 30 into a Hot Plate then into my Mesa 4x12. It works. Unfortunately, beggars can't be choosers when it comes to low volume solutions because every one of them has their own set backs.

I've used power scaling amps and they sound no better or worse than a full power amp being attenuated... just different. It's like comparing preggo to store-brand marinara. Neither is the real thing.

I don't know if the mini 6505 is exactly the same as a real 6505 but the clean channel on a 6505 was not exactly it's selling point.
That's a nice way to put it.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
OP here - im gonna be that guy and order one of each and see what makes the cut. I hate doing that to retailers but i have nowhere in this town to try these out :(

tonedover

This Is Fine.
In true TGP fashion, my recommendation would be to order one of each and keep both of them! :dude
Well its supposed to be a xmas gift from my wife to me... maybe ill sell some more pedals and see if “both” is an acceptable answer.

However, that prolly wont happen lol.

Open to more feedback from all :)

Axe-Man

6505 is more ‘metal’, Orange is more ‘rock’.

Cab makes a BIG difference. What cab will you be running?

The 6505+ clean is underrated and with some EQ and the right pickup/guitar combo sounds pretty good. The Orange with the same and also.

Boosts work great with the Rocker but it has a lot less punch than a 5150 style amp.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
6505 is more ‘metal’, Orange is more ‘rock’.

Cab makes a BIG difference. What cab will you be running?

The 6505+ clean is underrated and with some EQ and the right pickup/guitar combo sounds pretty good. The Orange with the same and also.

Boosts work great with the Rocker but it has a lot less punch than a 5150 style amp.
its an old but SOLID Peavey vertical 2x12 with angled top speaker and closed back on both speakers, though the top speaker can be converted to open back, with Celestion G12K-85s from the early 90s in it.

Trending Topics