Order my pedals: Slaughter of the Soul tone.

olejason

Are you running into a clean amp or dirty? That's part of the equation as well. I like running the HM-2 before another dirt pedal so you can tighten it up and add gain if necessary.

_sjm_

Silver Supporting Member
I’m going to guess the opposite order you’ve posted: SD1 > HM2 > MT2. Use the SD1 to boost, and use the surprisingly decent EQ of the MT2 to sculpt.

les_paul

I'm wishy washy on using the MT-2 as a preamp to the HM-2 or to sculpt it. I figured the SD-1 would go up front. Had solid results both ways.

Scordare

This is also one of my favorite metal guitar tones! One of the few rigs I have chased..

There is no SD-1 in the mix..that was an old rumor I believe.. signal chain is >> HM-2 > MT-2 > Peavey Supreme 160 clean channel > homemade 2x10 & 2x12 cab(s) - unknown damaged speakers > SM57 mics. Listen to the demo versions and watch the making of video.

Here is my rig and settings..

I go between using the low gain input into the clean channel (bright off) and the effects loop return.. they both sound good!

Last edited:

les_paul

This is also one of my favorite metal guitar tones! One of the few rigs I have chased..

There is no DS-1 in the mix..that was an old rumor I believe.. signal chain is >> HM-2 > MT-2 > Peavey Supreme 160 clean channel > homemade 2x10 & 2x12 cabs - unknown damaged speakers > SM57 mics. Listen to the demo versions and watch the making of video.

I go between using the low gain input into the clean channel (bright off) and the effects loop return.. they both sound good!
Good lord this is exactly what I was looking for. Bonus points for the chainsaw.

god.machine

There is no DS-1 in the mix..that was an old rumor I believe.. signal chain is >> HM-2 > MT-2 > Peavey Supreme 160 clean channel > homemade 2x10 & 2x12 cabs - unknown damaged speakers > SM57 mics. Listen to the demo versions and watch the making of video.

So cool to see someone on TGP actually helping someone with a very specific question. Kudos to you!

DisasterArea

Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals
Good lord this is exactly what I was looking for. Bonus points for the chainsaw.
Double bonus points because the chainsaw is actually Swedish (Husqvarna!)

And I love the idea of turning one 4x12 into the 2x10 and 2x12 cabs as used on the record. I bet this rig is scary close.

les_paul

In what I assume will wrap this thread I'd like to say I'm truly grateful, impressed, and surprised at the result. I didn't think there was much of a metal community here.

Scordare

In what I assume will wrap this thread I'd like to say I'm truly grateful, impressed, and surprised at the result. I didn't think there was much of a metal community here.
While the rumors of TGP being dominated by Khaki-clad blues lawyers are not unfounded.. there are also Death Metal auto mechanics lurking beneath the surface! :wave

Thanks for bringing this up.. I haven’t played this rig for a while and now I can’t stop! Use my settings as a starting point.. they are kinda bass heavy because I was playing low volume..as you crank it up you will need to adjust eq and gain levels. Basically the HM-2 is being used as a clean/eq boost and the MT-2 is the distortion/preamp. Don’t forget the guitar.. An Ibanez with EMGs tuned to B std with heavy strings played aggressive and precisely!

les_paul

While the rumors of TGP being dominated by Khaki-clad blues lawyers are not unfounded.. there are also Death Metal auto mechanics lurking beneath the surface! :wave

Thanks for bringing this up.. I haven’t played this rig for a while and now I can’t stop! Use my settings as a starting point.. they are kinda bass heavy because I was playing low volume..as you crank it up you will need to adjust eq and gain levels. Basically the HM-2 is being used as a clean/eq boost and the MT-2 is the distortion/preamp. Don’t forget the guitar.. An Ibanez with EMGs tuned to B std with heavy strings played aggressive and precisely!
I had to tweak the bass on the Metal Zone just a bit. Once you get past the "turn everything all the way up" mentality on the HM-2 it works a lot better in this application. The Metal Zone settings weren't terribly different from where I ended but the HM-2 is pretty finicky, especially the level control.

I use an RGT42 which is my favorite budget Ibanez.

Good to know that TGP isn't just blues lawyers and yacht rock office dwellers after all.

Trending Topics