• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Order question for ethereal/ambient players using a Flint, Timeline and Stereo Wet

ChaseTMP

I have my order of these three: Timeline > Flint > Stereo Wet and notice that I can't get a solid tremolo sound out of the Flint, with a few of my Timeline settings and almost always, with the Wet. I only use tremolo sparingly, usually at the end of a song or two, but when I have lots of delay/reverb going on, it's really tough to discern the tremolo's effect.

I was hoping someone has already done the hard part, of effects-order A/B'ing. I have had my board (with an additional nine pedals) set-up for quite a while with pre-cut Lava solderless and everything is routed pretty tidy. Heavy reverb and delay dominates my tone, so I've worked around/avoided my tremolo issue as to not have to tear my entire board apart, where there may not be a solution. FWIW, I use the Flint's reverb independent of its tremolo.

Anyone find an alternate order where you're able to get a defined tremolo effect out of a Flint, with generous use of a Timeline's delay and a Stereo Wet's reverb?

Empros

The way to get the most defined trem sound is to put it at the end of the chain. That way, nothing will come after and fill up the holes when the volume drops in and out. I use the Flint's verb pretty heavily with a MLJr on a lot of repeats running into the Flint's trem last in the chain and I think it's pretty defined.

zwolf

This wouldn't address the tremolo issue when using the Wet after it, but have you experimented with the effect order secondary function on the Flint itself? I find the trem to be better pronounce when running it verb>trem....

ChaseTMP

That makes sense, I guess I could place it where my Caroline Kilobyte is located, without having to make/redo any cabling. The end of my chain, would be: Timeline > Kilobyte > Wet > Flint > Ditto (the Malekko 616 V2 is in the effects loop of the rehoused KoT). Thanks, I'll give that a shot...

ChaseTMP

This wouldn't address the tremolo issue when using the Wet after it, but have you experimented with the effect order secondary function on the Flint itself? I find the trem to be better pronounce when running it verb>trem....
Yeah, that is how I have it set as well, but haven't really used the two Flint functions together live.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Moving the Flint to the end of the chain and making sure the trem is after the Flint's verb will help you get the throb you desire...

jurfin

FWIW i use a device called an effect order switcher - my signal goes from my volume pedal - into the switcher - into the timeline in one loop - and into a young pedal co ADM-600 into the flint in the other.

this way - i can have verb and trem before my delay/looper, or after, with the press of a button. it is a super awesome and handy thing to have.

maybe you should look into one of those?

ChaseTMP

FWIW i use a device called an effect order switcher - my signal goes from my volume pedal - into the switcher - into the timeline in one loop - and into a young pedal co ADM-600 into the flint in the other.

this way - i can have verb and trem before my delay/looper, or after, with the press of a button. it is a super awesome and handy thing to have.

maybe you should look into one of those?
I had a T1M Dropout, which is similar. It is a cool option to have, but the additional cabling and potential live troubleshooting, scared me away and I sold mine before implementing it. An effects order switcher, has the same amount of in/out and send/return jacks, so I think it'd be just as daunting. I got the Dropout, so I could use whatever I had in my Superego's loop, somewhere else, but I was only running a chorus in the SE's loop and realized I don't like chorus outside of its use with the SE.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I had a T1M Dropout, which is similar. It is a cool option to have, but the additional cabling and potential live troubleshooting, scared me away and I sold mine before implementing it. An effects order switcher, has the same amount of in/out and send/return jacks, so I think it'd be just as daunting. I got the Dropout, so I could use whatever I had in my Superego's loop, somewhere else, but I was only running a chorus in the SE's loop and realized I don't like chorus outside of its use with the SE.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
You want the T1M flip flop pedal I think...

Woody777

I have a Flint, a Wet, and an El Capistan. I guess I never thought much about it, but I go El Cap -> Wet -> Flint. I'm pretty sure the Flint is set to reverb -> trem. My rationale was that the Flint was designed to act like amp reverb/tremolo, so I run it last in line.

Before I got the Flint, I ran tremolo much earlier in the chain (I think that is cosidered the "correct" method), but I like it last much better.

ChaseTMP

You want the T1M flip flop pedal I think...
The Flip-Flop and Dropout, on my board; would have the same space/cabling and potential troubleshooting issues (which is what halted my Dropout installation). I put the Flint second to last (before my Ditto) and the difference was substantial in how much more pronounced the Flint's tremolo was in conjunction with the Wet. I got the desired effect with the new location.

I remembered quickly, that I had looked-into to do the effects-order swap before, but there was an issue with one my 400mA output cables from my Cioks DC10, not reaching the Flint's new location. I had decided to live with the subtle tremolo effect, rather than tear my board apart for a result that may have not be preferable.

I was determined tonight, after having been underwhelmed with the prior order, for close to one and a half years. After over an hour of power cable rerouting, plus having to move my two power supplies that are velcro'd under the top-tier and few expletives, I got it done. I wish I had done the swap, a long time ago.

MogwaiBoy

Hi Chase! Good to see the Klone is in play :)

I love tremolo after reverb as a master effect, always. And I like delay before reverb, most of the time. So I would go Timeline > Bigsky > Flint

Delay > Reverb > Tremolo = how I'm running my modulation setup at the moment. Works best for me. Tremolo before reverb just fills in the gaps I feel, it lessens the lovely throb of the tremolo. I like tremolo last as a master effect... like in a spring reverb/trem Fender amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom