Order vs. Ergonomics: how's your board setup & wired?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RockStarNick, Feb 3, 2012.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

For example: You want your wah far left on your board for ergonomics, but, you need it to be first in line in your signal chain. What do you do?

Do you sacrifice ergonomics for shorter cable length? Or do you make some crazy back-and-forth cable routing to ensure pedal placement.

Just curious to see some clever pedalboard solutions.

I'm in the middle of making some pedalboard placement/wiring/order issues. I'd like my compressor pedal over by my footswitch, but it needs to be 1st in line, signal wise, after my buffer.

2. James

James Member

I'd arrange the physical pedals where you like them best, and follow standard signal order conventions by routing the cables wherever they need to go. I wouldn't worry about cable length if you're using good pedals, good cables and using good sense when it comes to true bypass and buffered cables.

3. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

This was my gut reaction, as to what I should do. If I'm using a good buffer, an extra 1-2 feet of cable, on the board, due to routing, shouldn't make much of a difference, right?

4. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

Same for me here...

5. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

What's up Nick??

I do crazy back and forth cable runs. I have to have my looper next to my volume pedal which has to be before my distortions.

6. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I will obsess about his for too long. My PT-Pro is all broken down ready to be rewired again with a loop-strip and I have been thing about this. I tend to keep the order of the chain flowing from left to right but I can change that now with the TB pedal. My wah & vol pedal are on the board, even though it takes a lot of room. I don’t want to have to worry about setting up/tearing down anything other than the board.

This was how I always used it:

[​IMG]

Chain goes wah-volume-volume-octave/fuzz-treble boost-phaser-chorus to amp and the top row effects (delays & verbs) are in the amp loop. I am the singer too so basically my entire board is too my left and I stand near the volume pedal, around where my mic is hovering.

I'm adding the loop strip to minimize the tap dance, hopefully it works!

7. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

Being lefty, it screws everything up. I could try and reverse the I/O jacks of every pedal, but I just do crazy wiring schemes.

8. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

I just went through this with my board because I decided to do things ergonomically and I came so close to running out of cable (I had bought 10' of george L plus some pretty long lengths that I had from before). I also am using a 10ch bypass looper so that made things more complicated. Its worth it to have all the pedals I need easy access to on one side and the ones that are in the looper out of the way. It's not a perfect system and I had to compromise a little on my original plan because I didn't have enough length of cable, but I'm happy with the result. I will try to post a pic soon.

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

With a decent buffer, I would opt for ergonomics over anything except changing the actual order in which the pedals are wired. I have a pic linked to my signature, you can see my wah has a cord going around my delay to my TS9 because I wanted the delay on the front row, even though it is the 2nd to last pedal in the signal chain.

10. Madsen

Madsen Member

ergonomics first.
    there are plenty of ways to make what you want work these days.