Ordered a Celestion Gold today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ntmo, Feb 6, 2015.

1. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

Ordered a Celestion Gold from Antique Electronic Suply, under $150 shipped for the month of February. This will find a home in my '63 Vibroverb RI. I have several speakers to pair it with and I like Alnicos but suggestions would be appreciated. First up is a Jensen p10r of recent manufacture. I also have an older Emi made Fender ceramic that came with the amp and actually sounded quite good with the Celestion 10-25D that also came with it. I picked up a pair of Celestions with Fender Custom shop lables that are in the amp now, great speakers but they sound too much like the V30s in my Lonestar Classic so they may end up in the emporium here.

2. dclxvi

dclxvi Member

I love that those guys are local to me.

3. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

I have several 10" Golds - they sound really nice with Greens.

Russ

4. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

My favorite match with the Gold was a Weber 50 watt ceramic Blue Dog but that 2x12 cab wasn't used with a Fender style amp. It sounded great by itself in my DRRI (or any other amp I tried it with). I currently use it in a 1x12 extension cab with the DRRI after putting a Weber ceramic California in the combo cab. The Gold\Cali combination sounds very nice as well.

5. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

I'll try it with the speakers I have and report back. Looking for something different than the tone I get with the V30s in my Lonestar classic and the Jensens in my Fender Twin.

6. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

Congrats. It is a great speaker.

[​IMG]

7. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird Gold Supporting Member

I like mine paired with a G12h30.

8. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I may be interested in your celestions. I just bought a 63' vibroverb and gigged with it last night. I wasn't digging the breakup character of the oxford speakers. How will the headroom change with the celestions?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  9. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

The Celestions are more efficient than the speakers that came in it so more headroom and a different character but my amp had replacement speakers when I got it. From what I understand anything should be an improvement over the original Oxfords. I love Celestions for an overdriven tone but as an at home only player I rarely get into overdrive in this amp.

10. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

$150? Really? All I see is 15% off which gets it to $245. What am I missing?

11. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

He neglected to mention it's a 10" Gold. Still a pretty great speaker, but different of course.

+1 for the Green/Gold combo. Maybe it's just the Packers fan in me, but I loved that setup in a SFVR I had a few years back.

Here was a quick and excessively sloppy demo:
    [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/kittencannon/vibrolux-green-and-gold[/soundcloud]

12. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

Thanks for the clarification. I should have noticed all of the references to 10" speakers in the post. Dumb.

13. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

I just put a 10" Gold in my PRRI. It has an upgraded TO20 O/T , and JJ 6V6s. I like the voicing of the stock Jensen C10R but and a tinkerer and read so much about the Gold and had to give it try. My first impression was unimpressed. Then I read Forums that this speaker needs a lot of break in,so I ran my Boze wave radio through it for 24 hours so far. What a difference a day makes. I plugged in both single coil and humbucker guitars and am very impressed now. The tone just blooms and sound incredible. It has lots of Fendery jangle and chime with warmer highs and nice tight base which is exactly what I want. The overall tone is also much fuller. I will continue running the Boze radio through it for a couple of more days and anticipate that the tone will continue to improve once the speaker is completely broken in. A lesson learned is be patient with certain new speakers, as it relates to break, in or you will miss out on a potential good thing.