Ordered a Fender Blues Junior Limited Edition Wine Red with Cannabis Rex Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yell03, May 22, 2015.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

I was torn between a Fender Princeton Reverb, a Fender Supersonic 22, a Jet City JCA2212, and a Blues Junior.

I currently have a Fender Pro Junior Gray Tweed Limited Edition with Jensen P10R Speaker and a Fender 65 DRRI.

I like the Pro Junior, just wish it had Reverb.

So, when looking for another amp I was looking for Reverb, yes I know the JCA2212 does not have it.

I've owned many Blues Juniors and Pro Juniors, usually I find them lacking in the speaker department.

I have owned the Blues Junior NOS Tweed with the Jensen, but it still sounded nasally and boxy.

The Pro Junior even with the upgraded speaker is a bit boxy sounding, but it loves pedals.

The DRRI sounds great, never boxy, loves pedals even on the Reverb Channel which many people find fizzy with pedals.

Portability was also a consideration.

I ended up going with the Fender Blues Junior, but only because in the Wine Red it comes with a Cannabis Rex Speaker which is much warmer and tames the Blues Junior's brightness.

Of course until it arrives this is all just speculation.

Supposedly won't be available until June or July.

Last amp I tried to buy on a Order Expected by ____ never came to be, hope this time I have better luck.

I am considering a Reverb pedal for my Pro Jr.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. yell03

yell03 Member

Just ordered a TC Hall of Fame for the Pro Jr and Normal Channel of the DRRI

3. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

You can have the"Fritz" mod done to your DRRI and bring the reverb to the Normal channel. Much better than a pedal IMHO.

4. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I have had a love/hate thing with the blue jr. My first tube amp back 15 yrs ago. I sold it and since had a blues jr blonde that sounded great once the speaker broke in . Sold it (should have kept it) and after going thru a drri and a few other amps bought a NOS that I love. The thing is with the blues jr is it's a great grab n go amp. Very gig able too. I also have a red wine hrdx that is a great amp. Good luck with the blues jr.

5. yell03

yell03 Member

I don't like modding my amps, but that sounds like a cool mod.

I've went through many Blues Juniors, hoping this one is a keeper.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  6. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

Fritz Mod adds the trem and reverb to both channels - still switchable on/off on both channels. Also allows you to jumper channels like a bassman. Good, easy mod.

7. yell03

yell03 Member

Since I am not huge on reverb, I will see if I can deal with the Hall of fame first, if I don't like it, I'll try the Fritz Mod.

8. AD1982

AD1982 Member

First off, I'm digging your gear.

Secondly, the TC Electronic Mini HOF is a killer verb in a small package. I used one thru the front end of a new Supro Thunderbolt and it sounded great. You can charge the parameters using a smartphone. I was using the Robben Ford preset and got killer results even while driven. I think you'd get similar results thru the Pro Jr.

9. yell03

yell03 Member

Thanks, I ordered the Larger HOF just for ease of use to get different tones, I had enough room on the Board and I bought it new, but opened box for $100.

10. groovington

groovington Member

I think the cannabis Rex is the perfect speaker for the Blues Jr... Just gotta give it a lot of playing time to break in the speaker. And as someone else mentioned, it does make a great grab and go amp for jams, sit-ins, and gigs.

When I first got my Humbodt Blues Jr, I remember having to leave the treble knob all the way down, and probably about a month later (wasn't using it all the time), I remember noticing it sounding kind of dark, and when I turned up the treble knob it had such a sweet, smooth, and articulate high end all of a sudden. Unfortunately I sold it when I was pining for some new gear, and I kinda regret it now and probably should've sold my Egnater instead.

11. joeprs

joeprs Member

I own one of the Humboldt Blues Jr's and enjoy it as my grab and go. Currently, I play through my V20 and the other guitar player is using my BJ with his PRS Santana SE and he sounds good.

12. yell03

yell03 Member

I have bought and sold many of the same amps over and over, if we were rich and had a lot of room we would keep them all.

That is really what I want it for, a grab and go, but it will have to beat out my Pro Jr.

13. AD1982

AD1982 Member

And if you sell that Pro Junior, let me know. I've had a ton of amps myself, but my "Plum Crazy" Pro Junior is the only I regret selling.

14. yell03

yell03 Member

I will, but you can buy them so cheap New it does not pay to buy them used unless somebody gives them away.

15. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Out of the amps you listed the SS22 is the one I like best.

16. yell03

yell03 Member

If it were more portable it would be great

17. AD1982

AD1982 Member

Not asking you to give it away, but make it worth while. I get a 40% discount on FedEx, so it may save me a bit.

18. yell03

yell03 Member

I hear you, but looking out for you, usually I buy them new for less than people sell them for used