Ordered a Fender Twin. Second Thoughts now

So I watched all the videos.

65 DRRI
68 DRRI

I can't frign tell the difference in a youtube video.

Now my real concern is this. I'm wondering if I should have got a hand wired one instead. I know the purists come out in droves on this and I really don't give a crap whether it's got a PCB, or a hand wired. As long as it sounds good and it works.

Now I got a stellar condition 65 TRRI for 900 bucks on ebay. But there's a small part of me that thinks I should have perhaps gone with a hand built one, but that's considerably more cash, unless I built one myself. I can solder great, but I can not read schematics and have ZERO electronics troubleshooting skills.

So I'm wondering what others think about the RI amps in terms of sound quality and reliability. I'm hearing 10 years and it's going to die. But who knows.

I got a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 to go with it.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
There are plenty of PCB reissue Fenders from the early 90's that are going strong with no issues. That is way past 10 years so I don't think that will be an issue. A well done PCB build is not anything to be concerned about and I think the reissue Fenders are just fine. That said, when talking about the Twin it's pretty easy to find a used Silverface Twin for under what you can get a new reissue for and for me that's a no-brainer.

The point to point amps sound a little better (ok, often a LOT better…) and they are much easier to get worked on. Silverface Twins are great after a little bit of love from a good tech. Also, the older ones are already a little beat up so you won't care when they pick up new scuffs.

With Princetons and Deluxes, the RI amps are so much cheaper that they are worth considering. But the RI Twins are close to the price of an old point to point amp. No contest imo.

Best…H

The point to point amps sound a little better (ok, often a LOT better…) and they are much easier to get worked on. Silverface Twins are great after a little bit of love from a good tech. Also, the older ones are already a little beat up so you won't care when they pick up new scuffs.

With Princetons and Deluxes, the RI amps are so much cheaper that they are worth considering. But the Twins are close to the price of an old point to point amp. No contest imo.

Best…H
I wonder if anyone swaps out the boards and puts in a hand wired board? I guess at that point though, you're probably replacing the whole amp basically.

ken374

Plug a strat in to the deluxe RI and then the 68 in the custom or vintage side, reverb on and the 68 is way better and vintage sounding. I had turn the RI off right a way no joke. Twins blow them away in the clean head room department. If your concerned about volume then get a Deluxe

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if anyone swaps out the boards and puts in a hand wired board? I guess at that point though, you're probably replacing the whole amp basically.
Yes, they absolutely do this...and after you pay for that you could buy yourself a nice 60's Blackface Twin. Silverface Twins are one of the absolute best deals in the vintage amp market.

Silent Sound

The speakers are going to be the main difference in the tone of one twin reverb over the other. I would personally have gone for a good used silverface one because it'll hold it's value better. Plus, I do my own amp repair, and I'd rather work on an eyelet board than PCB. That being said, if you don't abuse either one, they should last as long as you keep up with the maintenance. The Fender PCB amps of the 80's (the red knob versions) were pretty poorly made, but these newer ones are a lot more reliable. As a result, the modern PCB Fenders carry a certain stigma with them which is a bit undeserved.

So I wouldn't sweat it. It's less about the amp and more about what you play through the amp that matters anyway. Unless you're just an amp collector.

whackystrings

I have been jonesing for a vintage-voiced Fender tube amp for my upcoming work in a surf group. I have probably read over 300 reviews regarding different Fender amps.
I have yet to read anything substantially derogatory about the Fender Twin (any issue/reissue of it). By all accounts that I have read, the Fender Twin - regardless of era - is a flagship amp of Fender's and they are built like tanks - appropriately weighing as much, too.

'63-Strat

Honestly, it's pretty subjective as I'm sure you know. Will a twin RI sound good? Definitely. Would a vintage one sound better? Probably. Would a hand-wired newer one sound better also? Ditto. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the RI though.

No offense, but if you can afford to have people carry your ****, then why are you worried about another grand?
Heh, I carry my own ****, it was a joke.
Well I don't know what I'm doing as far as these amps. I saw new ones going for $1400 and judging by the looks of this thing for $900 and the 100%+ FB from the seller, I figured it was a win.
I've been reading more about the PTP wiring of the vintage ones, which makes me think I might have made a mistake. But those are around 2k. So I don't know if I should just sell the damn thing when I get it or just use it and forget it.

This type of amp is new to me, so I'm not really going to hear the subtle differences that all the Fender veterans are going to hear between a new and vintage.

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Look at Ebay or Reverb.com. There are plenty of Blackface and Silverface Fender amps for sale. You can get an idea of what is available and what the going rate is for those.

Another idea to consider and would possibly be helpful as far as weight goes...
An early Silverface Showman Reverb head (basically a SF Twin Reverb in a head), which can be found for $750-900 or so... and a 2x12 speaker cab. And if you end up preferring a more "Blackface" tone it is my understanding that Silverface amps can be easily modified to Blackface specs.

Everyone on here, even in other threads seem to like the silverface models.

Before I contemplated getting one of these, all I read was "blackface = better"

littlejohn

The Reissues are fine amps vs Silverface, I mean if you are going for big clean? the Twin's claim to fame, what differences does it make? The new amps are plug and play, old amps, you have get worked on as soon as you buy them. Locally someone has a Twin in decent condition, 8-9 for $800...they seem like good deals to me for that kind of wattage and power.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Don't discount it before you try it.
Then try different speakers.
Then play an old one if you still 'have to.'

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
The other guitarist in our band uses a blackface reissue Twin Reverb that has been converted into a head, and uses a separate 2x12 cabinet (I think with Eminence Cannabis Rex and Red White & Blue in it). Other than replacing a tube or two it has run strong for several years now. Loud, clean, reliable.

Trending Topics