• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ordered a Kingsley Jouster

James M

Gold Supporting Member
This pedal doesn't seem to come up much on eBay or in the Emporium, so I took the plunge and ordered one new. It sounds too good to pass up, and I like tube-based OD pedals (eg: Butler), and having two available channels is huge. Any owners have any opinions on the tubes it ships with and if it is worth experimenting with other tubes, or what works well?

Thanks!

thewordking

Congrats! Simon's stuff is fantastic. I got the Jouster and then about three days later called to get a Jester, too. Haven't tried swapping tubes in them yet, though I've read here that the tubes can make pretty big difference in how they behave.

Blues Lyne

The tubes can make a difference, so if you have a variety give them a try. I can't comment on the original tubes, since I got my Jouster used and it didn't have the original tubes in it.

MogwaiBoy

Congrats! I'm still using the stock Tung-Sol tubes. I love the sound and reliability of Tung Sols in my amps so I feel content with having them in my Kingsleys (Jouster and Harlot). You can probably get thousands of hours out of them too.

The Jouster is superb. Was playing it today for a few hours. The crunch is just SO effing delicious I feel like it's a waste to try and get cleaner lower gain tones out of it. I'm running the Tone and Gain on each channel between 1 and 2 o'clock with both switches in the first position - this way the channels don't sound worlds apart so switching between them sounds and feels very natural - like the second channel is an extension of the first, just with more volume and gain saturation. These Kingsleys are rediculous. My overdrive and distortion quest has ended - so I gas for fuzz and boosts these days.

James M

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys...I'm so stoked to get it. I run a Vox AC30HW2 and I think the Jouster will give me lots of flexibility. If it sounds half as good as the demos, I'm going to be happy!

JeffOlson

Ah, the demos. Simon is a monster player. He can make anything sound great!

Still, despite my limited abilities compared to Simon, my Jester is awesome, and so was my Jouster. Congrats! You should be very stoked.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Jouster and a Minstrel. I put ANOS tubes in the Jouster (and in V1 of the Minstrel too, I recall) because I have a bunch of ANOS tubes in a box. Did it make a difference? It's really impossible to tell. The time lag between changing tubes and plugging it back in really eliminates the possibility of being sure you heard a difference.

I say enjoy the pedal as it is, and don't sweat it. It's a great sounding/feeling pedal with lots of possibilities in it.

Top Bottom