ordering a custom neck from warmoth - comments?

adrianb

I'd like to make a major change to my stratocaster and i've decided on getting a custom neck from Warmoth. It's going to be modern construction, big CBS headstock, all maple, the "default" Warmoth options - but it's going to be full scallop, SS6100 frets, and with clear satin nitro finish. I essentially want an Yngwie-style neck.

Has anybody else ever ordered a neck with this configuration from Warmoth before? How was the finished product? I've never done business with Warmoth before, is there anything i should know before i pull the trigger? It's also kinda pricey at $400, are there alternative companies that offer comparable quality at a lower price?

All comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HTSMetal

Haven't bought a neck with those particular specs from Warmoth, but all of the Strat and Tele necks I've purchased from them over the years have left me floored with the quality to price ratio. Even the cheaper Showcase examples I've bought usually have thick, dense, poreless Indian Rosewood fretboards and flame within the maple (more noticeable if you finish it yourself with something like Tru-Oil that brings the chatoyance out).

The real added cost with Warmoth comes with the finishing options, but if you're comfortable with doing a Tru-Oil finish (and potentially voiding the two year warranty, there are conflicting reports about whether Tru-Oil is considered a warranty-correct finish or not) it'll save you major money and feel nicer as well!

Couple of close ups:

Clear gloss finish:

Rosewood Tele fretboard:

adrianb

Haven't bought a neck with those particular specs from Warmoth, but all of the Strat and Tele necks I've purchased from them over the years have left me floored with the quality to price ratio. Even the cheaper Showcase examples I've bought usually have thick, dense, poreless Indian Rosewood fretboards and flame within the maple (more noticeable if you finish it yourself with something like Tru-Oil that brings the chatoyance out).

The real added cost with Warmoth comes with the finishing options, but if you're comfortable with doing a Tru-Oil finish (and potentially voiding the two year warranty, there are conflicting reports about whether Tru-Oil is considered a warranty-correct finish or not) it'll save you major money and feel nicer as well!

Couple of close ups:

Clear gloss finish:
I have to say that looks gorgeous. Very 3-dimensional. I'm not at all comfortable working with finishes so i'll leave that part to Warmoth. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Dale

I have bought 6-10 from them over teh years. I forget. I do not do scalloped though I have the SS, 6100/other with the Birdseye and rosewood in various combinations. They are generally very good necks.

71strat

If they do them, I would message Tommy/USA Custom Guitars, and ask if they do Scalloped Necks.

USACG is second to none. Tommy also ran Warmoth for the 1st 15 years, and gave them their best rep ever.

adrianb

If they do them, I would message Tommy/USA Custom Guitars, and ask if they do Scalloped Necks.

USACG is second to none. Tommy also ran Warmoth for the 1st 15 years, and gave them their best rep ever.
I looked everywhere on their site and saw no mention of scalloping for necks. Their base price for a neck also seems to be higher.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I've had many...they are high quality for sure. But personally I am done with them, as I don't care for their neck profiles and there is something very "un-Fender-like" about their sound, feel and look. Not better or worse, but definitely different. It's not just me who feels this way, and many have speculated why (their trussrods are a common theory). Depends on what you're going for. I'm going to try either Musikraft or USACG next time. Warmoth is great for highly customized pieces, less so for Fender looking/feeling replacements IMO.

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Get roasted maple and no finish needed
I recently bought a roasted maple neck with Kingwood board and it's the best neck I've ever played. My only regret was ordering pearloid side dots vs white as the pearloid doesn't have enough contrast to be easily seen in a dark setting and I get lost easily :rolleyes: But the feel and finish are perfect. Kingwood is gorgeous.

jon

I just received a roasted flame maple neck. 59 profile , ss6100, vintage/modern construction. It's a perfect neck for me.... But... It IS darker than I thought it would be, and more so than the pics on the website. I did tru oil a couple coats though

adrianb

I've had many...they are high quality for sure. But personally I am done with them, as I don't care for their neck profiles and there is something very "un-Fender-like" about their sound, feel and look. Not better or worse, but definitely different. It's not just me who feels this way, and many have speculated why (their trussrods are a common theory). Depends on what you're going for. I'm going to try either Musikraft or USACG next time. Warmoth is great for highly customized pieces, less so for Fender looking/feeling replacements IMO.
I think i read something like that about their truss rods. I can't remember where though. I would have wanted to go with the vintage/modern construction but they don't do scalloping on it.

Reactions: Roe

swiveltung

Just remember, you will need to finish the fret ends and fretboard edges so they aren't sharp. Musikraft will roll the fretboard edges for you.

stryker59

Silver Supporting Member
i ordered a roasted maple with the boatneck profile and mj frets and i love it! i didn't have to do a thing to the frets. i would absolutely order from them again!

bluegrif

I think i read something like that about their truss rods. I can't remember where though. I would have wanted to go with the vintage/modern construction but they don't do scalloping on it.
I'm a big believer in vintage style, single action rods. I have no scientific basis for that, but it's been my experience the very best sounding necks have all been plain old single action rods (and the neck is hugely important in the tone of a F-style guitar). I think it becomes a whole lot less important if you're not married to traditional Fender tones because the modern construction necks sound fine, just not like vintage Fender. Warmoth quality is fine. Really good stuff. But like a lot of elements of the classic guitars, changing the neck construction does matter. FWIW, I don't think the modern Fender bi-flex rods (American Standard, etc.) sound as good either.

Reactions: Roe

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Only one neck from them. It's modern construction maple with Ebony board and 6100 SS frets. I went with the big fatback profile and just love it. I used it to build my own headless guitar with a single bucker in the bridge, so wasn't too worried about getting a traditional Fender tone. But this thing sounds fantastic and plays great.

I put tung oil "finish" on mine and believe that it has enough of a finish not to void the warrantee. Since I chopped off the headstock, not sure it matters.

PartoftheDark

You will get a great version of whatever you order from them. Any custom order is going to add a couple hundred depending on the features. I would actually suggest doing the clear coat yourself to save some money if you have the time/patience/skill etc. to do it. Up to you though. I no longer finish bodies I order from them because I just don't feel like going through the hassle of setting up my work space for it anymore.

Side note: You roasted maple folks may want to consider a thin oil finish. Not for any sealing or protecting reasons, but it deepens the overall grain look and it looks dope. I did on my most recent one and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Torren61

I bought a neck from them. Tele style, ebony on bloodwood. Stainless steel fret wires, mop dots. Good neck. I forget what I paid. Four hundred something?

Trending Topics