1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ordering a Gibson Memphis through Sweetwater

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tjmicsak, May 17, 2011.

1. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Is this normal......
    Last year I placed an order just prior to the flood for a Howard Roberts, so delays were expected and understood.
    That was late March of 2010
    Now it's middle of May 2011.
    About every two months I get a call from Sweetwater telling me of a date provided by Gibson. The date passes and gets pushed out another 2-3 months.
    That has been the case for over a year now. August, then October, then December, then February, then April, and now July.
    Sweetwater tells me they havent gotten any guitars in from Gibson Memphis for all that time.
    After waiting over a year my mind starts getting suspect.
    I'm starting to think they are shipping guitars and "preferred" cusomers are getting bumped up their list or something. I also fear that when a washboard comes in they will send that one to me. I called Gibson and they had no answers sending me back to the retailer for answers. They wouldn't even say if they were shipping guitars or not. I found that strange.
    These are non-returnable custom order guitars, so given the situation I'm a little concerned.
    Now if Gibson just isnt shipping then thats fine too, but I can't see how an entire year would pass with so many projected shipment dates going by with no guitar.
    Anyone else have a Gibson Memphis on order for that long and seeing the same situation?

2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

I don't know about the particular guitar you're speaking of, but they did this with the 60s Tribute Les Paul's, especially the Gold Tops. The date would get pushed out each week as the expected date of shipping would come & go. Seems par for the course for Gibson....give an arbitrary date & then keep pushing it back til they're actually ready to ship.

Do you see the particular guitar you ordered "in stock" on their site?

3. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd cancel and buy the guitar from somewhere else.
    And I'd buy it used.

4. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Memphis had nothing to do with flooding. I'm 100% sure Sweetwater has gotten ES guitars within the last year.

Be smart, cancel your order now and save money buying a used one.

5. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

I just cancelled, so anyone waiting on one of these just got bummped up one spot. Your Welcome.
    It almost seemed they were more than happy to do so after I waited over the year, but I think there is more to the story.
    In May of 2010 these were selling for $2399.97, but now they are listed for $2749.00. I had just gotten in shortly before the increase.
    Any chance this put me in a holding-until-I-walk-away pattern?

6. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Not likely. I would think Gibson would honor the cost Sweetwater agreed to when they issued a purchase order for your guitar. I'd say the cause of this is one of two things. 1) They don't have orders for enough similar instruments to start production on yours. A lot of times guitar companies will produce batches of similar but not identical stuff. I know when I bought my G&L I waited a tad longer for them to get a few more orders of Hollow Body ASAT basses so they could run a bunch at once. or 2) Everything available is allocated to GC/MF and Sweetwater (and all other Gibson dealers) are getting screwed.

7. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Only if they didn't order it when you placed the order and sat on it. Then they got stuck with the increase. Which may well be what happened. Good thing is that you'll save $400 or more over your new price by buying used. And you'll actually have a guitar in your hands to play. Not personally a big Sweetwater fan, but I did used to work for a competing company, so fwiw.

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

So much consistent good advice offered here; allow me to echo: buy used!!!

9. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I worked for Sweetwater for a while and while it didn't end well and I'm not a fan of everything they do they do get a lot of things right. I can't see them trying to screw you out of this guitar becasue the price went up. They just can't get one from Gibson.