Ordering a Guitar from Musician's Friend

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daddyo, Jan 31, 2008.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I'm thinking about ordereing an ES 339 from MF. They are one of the few shops that will ship this new Gibson to Canada. Either them or the eBay guys that are selling ES 339s. Good idea? Really dumb idea?

2. kccheers

kccheers Member

Well, daddyo, I may be in the minority, but I have never had any issues with MF. One cool thing for me is that I live 4 miles from the warehouse here in KC, and I can call the retail outlet, place an order, and 1/2 hour later park and pick it up. So, if there were a problem with an item, I'd know it before I left the warehouse. So for me, it's No Problemo!

I actually have a 20% off coupon that I received last month because I had ordered somthing that was backordered, then it shipped a few week's later. I think it was their way of "making up" with the customers that they had Pi**ed off during their warehouse move.

Anywho, good luck with your purchase!

cheers from KC

3. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

I've never had problems with MF either. In fact, quite the contrary.

Plus, they have a very solid return policy.

4. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

They've been good to me.

5. in a little row

in a little row Member

in either case, be very specific as to how you want it shipped...intl post can be dodgey, and dont forget, itll have to go thru customs, and if shipped by USPS, itll go to canada post...there have been more than a few vanishing guitar stories on this board in this situation...

Not trying to scare you, but...

j

6. jda

jda Member

I've done ok with them. They have sent me the wrong stuff from time to time - like sending me a tele when I ordered a strat. And then not believing that they had done it.

But their return policy can't be beat.

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

Have you checked with Dave's Guitars in LaCross WI? Or Sweetwater?

I'll buy pedals, and string and accessorires from MF, but I don't even want to try them for a guitar, unless it's a major deal. And even then, I'd prefer to try Sweetwater first.

8. III

III Member

I got my only mail order guitar from MF last Fall... a cheap B-stock Dot Studio. I'm surprised it came in one piece. Hope they pack the Gibsons better.

I've had great service from MF for years until the last year or so. The phone employee's aren't what they used to be. Make sure they read back all the info... especially quantity and price. It'll save you headaches.

9. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I've bought a 12 string Hamer bass, a Brian May AC-30, and a bunch of little things over the years from them with no problems at all.

Jeff

10. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

I just did the same thing -- ordered an ES-339 from them a few weeks ago with my 20% off coupon. I ordered it on a Monday and had it by Thursday. The ES-339 is shipping essentially untouched from the Gibson factory just passing through the MF warehouse. It comes in a big cardboard Gibson box with the guitar inside the Gibson case, and that is bubble-wrapped. Mine came in perfect condition with an inspection checklist dated just a few weeks earlier. The finish is still off-gassing. Action was a little high but setup was generally pretty good. I like it (an I'm a strat guy). Just make sure you track the shipment and make sure someone is there to sign for it.

11. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've bought some big ticket items from them -- NO hassles.

12. XKnight

XKnight Member

I bought one guitar from MF. It arrived with a broken truss rod and some finish flaws. I sent it back and asked for an exchange. They said they didn't have the same guitar in stock anymore and wouldn't provide the same model in a different color for the same price. Instead they wanted me to pay an up charge for the different color which was less appealing to me than the original color. Long story short, I got a refund instead and will never order another guitar from them again. Good luck with MF!

13. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

I have bought stuff from them for years just call and make sure the exact guitar you want is in stock. That way you won't have any problems.

14. Number8

Number8 Member

I bought my kids Daisy Rocks from them,, packed well pretty much in tune when they showed up. No scratches or dents. I'd buy from them again.