Ordering a new PRS s2, need opinions..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Russ73, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Im torn between the standard 22 which is an all mahogany standard 22 or the Mira....the standard has a trem but otherwise you guys know the shapes...cant decide! any opinions on which is stronger overall guitar??

2. McStrats

McStrats Member

The S2 line is fantastic. I have a CE22 and am seriously thinking about trading for a S2 Custom 22. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them quite honestly.

3. TTHX

TTHX Member

From my experience the standards will also have a thinner neck at least from feel. Miras will be lighter as well. Not sure if either of these will sway your opinion.

I've been in the same dilemma.

4. CRWolf

CRWolf Member

I thought all the S2s were supposed to have the pattern regular neck - part of streamlining the manufacturing process and keeping the price down.

Otherwise, as far as opinions go, I've always liked the Mira, but I think the Standard 22 looks even better. The differences seem to be pickups, bridge, and length of the upper horn. If you don't have a preference on any of those things, just get whichever one you can get your hands on first.

EDIT: Also, like TTHX said, I think the Mira is a bit thinner/lighter.

5. Sensates

Sensates Member

The S2 necks should be all "Pattern Regular" which is thicker than regular Fenders, very nice feeling neck.

I will go with the Standard 22 as I thought the Miras are too light(!!!) and less balance than the other models. I'm also not a fan of the PRS fixed bridge, but I love the PRS tremolo dearly.

From a very happy S2 CU24 owner.

6. Russ73

Russ73 Member

thx guys, quick question, will the upper horn being shorter on the Mira change the balance at all?? like I love SGs but the way they sit and hang I cant get used to shifting everything to the left...if that makes any sense....

7. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Russ, PRS are all fairly balanced guitars, especially compared with something like an SG or Les Pauls. I have been an SG player for years, and love the Mira. To me, its an SG killer, and corrects a lot of what I dislike about SGs. That said, those new S2 Standards really appeal to me. Its like a H/H Strat meets SG IMO, and has a little more heft to it which I like. It comes down to if you want a trem or not too.

Here's the thing about the Mira though...you can find a really nice original series Mira (small pickguard) for around the same price, or sometimes even less, than a brand new S2 Mira.

8. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I'd play one first if I were you. They are very nice and pretty guitars. On paper they are exactly what I wanted. I found a shop that had several S2 models (no Miras, unfortunately) but several S2 line 22 and 24 models. The finishes, while very pretty, are unfortunate. The guitars had a plasticky feel and I felt like I was totally isolated from the guitar by the finish. It left me cold. I was bummed out.

9. Noise Under The Floor

I'd have to agree with you there on the transparent maple topped models, especially the Customs. I'd probably opt for an SE Custom 24 for the money over an S2 version. The solid mahogany models though, like the Mira, Starla, and new Standards convey much better to the S2 line, look and feel like you'd expect a PRS to. Definitely not so much with the Customs. For me those just look odd, the beveling just doesn't look right on the maple tops.

10. McStrats

McStrats Member

From the PRS site:

Finish: The S2 Starla, along with the entire S2 Series, incorporates a new finish system where the color coat is embedded under a polyester basecoat and completed with an ultra–thin layer of acrylic urethane topcoat.

11. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Well I ordered the Mira yesterday, got it new for under a grand! should arrive by tues or so, black with dot inlays...cant wait!

12. Noise Under The Floor

Nice! Let us know what you think when it arrives. :aok

13. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I feel just the opposite. My Mira S2 semi-hollow is as lively and resonant as any guitar that I own.

14. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Sweet! I have an S2 Singlecut that I play all the time and love it. The coil taps on the S2s are extremely usable, unlike a lot of other brands. Let us know what you think! I'm thinking about getting another S2 and the Mira might be on my list.